Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Debating issues regarding sexuality

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

I have read the bible up and down left and right. There are lots of things about abominations etc etc. What it doesn't say though is whether or not non-believers can have gay marriage. In fact the laws and commandments in the bible are specifically for the Jews. Jesus opened that up and through Paul's doctrine that became inclusive of the gentiles(those who were believers).

So question for debate does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Can anyone find a verse saying that non-believers cannot have gay marriage?

bluethread
Savant

Re: Does the bible outlaw gay marriage for non-believers?

Post #21

Post by bluethread »

Talishi wrote:
Tiberius47 wrote: Are non-Jewish people allowed to eat food that isn't kosher?
There is the Noahide covenant embracing all mankind, and which forbids eating meat with blood. This was affirmed at the Council of Jerusalem. The Philippine dish called dinuguan is right out.
I do not believe that is what they were talking about at the Council of Jerusalem. I believe that they were pointing to four areas of immediate concern at that time. Note that they followed those four prescriptions with, "For from the earliest times, Moshe has had in every city those who proclaim him, with his words being read in the synagogues every Shabbat." The implication being that as they keep Shabbat, they will pick up on the rest. If this were a reference to the so called "Noahide Laws", then it would be acceptable for nonhereditary believers to dishonor their fathers and mothers, steal, and bear false witness.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #22

Peds nurse wrote: Hello Daniel!! I hope all is well in your world.

I probably am not addressing the topic in the way in which you hoped, nonetheless, I feel I need a voice to my thoughts.

Nonbelievers are not held accountable to Biblical tenants, how could they be? If I was to work at Wendy's, I could not be held accountable to McDonald's protocols and practices. More importantly, I wish to state this: God thinks more highly of us than we do ourselves. This means that we are definitely worth more than our choices or lifestyles could ever be. Christianity has really done some huge damage in this area. For some reason we think that we have to have it all together first, and then we can approach the throne of His grace. God doesn't care as much about our messy lives and choices, as he does the condition of our hearts.

Rant over....Carry on!
I appreciate these thoughts Peds, when I was a believer I shared similar sentiments in that regard.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

The bible makes no comment about gay marriage but does say God will destroy (unrepentant) individuals that engage in sexual activities with members of the same gender.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Talishi
Guru

Post #24

Post by Talishi »

JehovahsWitness wrote: The bible makes no comment about gay marriage but does say God will destroy (unrepentant) individuals that engage in sexual activities with members of the same gender.
Time and old age will do that too. It's not like entropy needs a god to make it work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #25

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

The bible makes no comment about gay marriage but does say God will destroy (unrepentant) individuals that engage in sexual activities with members of the same gender.

JW
So there is no ostensible religious mandate to ban gay marriage for non believers?

After all as you say God will destroy them all the same,
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

[Replying to post 24 by DanieltheDragon]

The Bible was written for mankind, it outlines God's requirements for humans. If one is human one is expected to respect the standards of the supreme ruler of the universe.

He will however judge mercifully

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #27

[Replying to post 25 by JehovahsWitness]

As you say though the bible makes no comment on the matter

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

[Replying to post 26 by DanieltheDragon]

Not directly that is correct.

Of course Jesus Referred to marriage only legitimately being between a man and a woman, and we know the bible condems sexual activity between members of the same gender. And we know God will destroy unrepentant fornication, including that same sex and other perversions, but on the specific matter of homosexual marriage it makes no comment.

JW

shnarkle
Guru

Post #29

Post by shnarkle »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

JW

On the surface I guess I can agree to this, but I'm fairly confident that you would agree that it goes without saying (but I'm going to say it anyways) that God's comments necessarily apply to gay marriage. I'm not saying that you're doing this, but anyone who thinks that they can build an argument to justify gay marriage based on the fact that God's comments against homosexual intercourse aren't explicitly mentioned within the context of gay marriage is really no different than the argument that theft, false witness, coveting are also not mentioned within the context of marriage either so they are essentially using marriage as some sort of loophole, no? If we can get married then anything goes.

Kevin Cross
Student

Post #30

Post by Kevin Cross »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

To me, God's Law is universal. That means believers and non-believers are under the Law. Whatever one does will be judged accordingly.