Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Interesting letter

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

This letter appeared on the Internet.
On her radio show, Dr. Laura said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as quite informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman,

Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,

Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

P.S. (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.)
Comments anyone?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Re: Interesting letter

Post #2

Post by OpenYourEyes »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I question if this man is really looking for answers or knows anything about Christian apologetics. If he knew about Christian apologetics, then not only would he have known that he should not be asking a marriage counselor (Dr. Schlesinger) these questions, but also there are plenty of explanations to biblical objections from apologists.

Besides this, I kind of doubt that answering these questions would resolve any doubt in the mind of this man. He'd just come up with another set of objections. Such a person is a weak-minded Christian. A strong Christian would have some positive reasons, evidence, and/or experience for why he believes in God, one that can not be taken away or that he or she fully accepts. The intellectual aspect of Christians should be to build on these positive reasons first. Then when they are confronted with objections to Christianity, they'll always have their positive beliefs to fall back on so that their core or foundation for their belief is never or hardly shaken.

Perhaps the best place to start with the author of the letter is with asking him about the positive beliefs that he has for believing in God to begin with. I would not go further until he can answer that.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

OpenYourEyes wrote: I question if this man is really looking for answers or knows anything about Christian apologetics.
Evidently someone overlooked that the questions were posed to an Orthodox Jew
OpenYourEyes wrote: If he knew about Christian apologetics, then not only would he have known that he should not be asking a marriage counselor (Dr. Schlesinger) these questions,
Perhaps it was appropriate to ask her as the author of a book entitled “The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life.�
OpenYourEyes wrote: but also there are plenty of explanations to biblical objections from apologists.
Yes, and there is a LOT of “explaining� required (or excusing or confusing) trying to make Bible stories seem rational.
OpenYourEyes wrote: Besides this, I kind of doubt that answering these questions would resolve any doubt in the mind of this man.
Perhaps the letter was intended for an audience that possessed judgment and a sense of humor?
OpenYourEyes wrote: He'd just come up with another set of objections. Such a person is a weak-minded Christian.
What indicates that the letter writer is ANY kind of Christian?
OpenYourEyes wrote: A strong Christian would have some positive reasons, evidence, and/or experience for why he believes in God, one that can not be taken away or that he or she fully accepts.
Perhaps “Strong Christians� have been taught to focus on “the good parts� of the Bible and ignore the irrational parts.
OpenYourEyes wrote: The intellectual aspect of Christians should be to build on these positive reasons first.
By all means
OpenYourEyes wrote: Then when they are confronted with objections to Christianity, they'll always have their positive beliefs to fall back on
That doesn't seem to work out very well in these debates. Is the “intellectual aspect of Christians� here under-developed?
OpenYourEyes wrote: so that their core or foundation for their belief is never or hardly shaken.
Yes, belief should be so firmly embedded that it persists in spite of encountering evidence and reasoning that contradict its claims and stories.
OpenYourEyes wrote: Perhaps the best place to start with the author of the letter is with asking him about the positive beliefs that he has for believing in God to begin with. I would not go further until he can answer that.
What makes you think that the letter writer believed in God? A person with no god beliefs could well write such a letter to point out ridiculous statements presented in the Bible as though they made sense.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Zzyzx wrote:
James M. Kauffman,

Comments anyone?
Humorous, but dishonest. Prof James Kauffman did not write that letter.

http://drlauraletter.com/

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote: Humorous, but dishonest. Prof James Kauffman did not write that letter.
I agree (and distanced myself from its authenticity with "appeared on the Internet")

It is unfortunate that whoever posted the letter used Dr. Kauffman's name because the questions made their point without any need for "authority".
Non-Theist

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #6

Post by Kenisaw »

Zzyzx wrote: .
On her radio show, Dr. Laura said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as quite informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman,

Comments anyone?
Wait, you mean Jews can cherry pick out of their book too? Will wonders never cease...

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

Zzyzx wrote: .

Dear Dr. Laura:

I have faith that Dr. Laura probably gave a good explanation herself, but I will address this here. Kenisaw is not correct. This is not an example of Jewish cherry picking, but accusatory cherry picking, or maybe it's more accurate to call it nit picking. Though it is rather tedious, lets pick these nits before they hatch into lousy arguments that can then infect other threads.
Not in these United States. HaTorah permits it, but it does not command it. Therefore, secular law applies.
I presume he means Exodus 21:7-11, which includes stipulations. However, again HaTorah permits it, but it does not command it. Therefore, secular law applies.
Only if you plan on going to The Temple. Since there is no Temple, this is a moot point.
Strange, people I know burn meat over an open flame all the time and they even invite their neighbors over, who are highly appreciative. Now, if he is doing it as a sacrifice, it is not to Adonai. That can only be done in The Temple. Again, there is no Temple.
Neither, he is permitted due process. Also, as in Yeshua's time, execution of convicts is only permitted by the secular government.
No, a lack of respect for any commandment is blasphemy. However, the criminal penalties associated with various particular acts can vary. It is like contempt of court. Someone found guilty of a traffic case does not receive the death penalty, just because he shows the same contempt of court a convicted murderer did.
Is this person a Levite and where is this altar that he wishes to approach?
Where is this spoken of as a capital offense?
Again, do you intend on going to The Temple?
Due process is required and where are these spoken of as capital offences?

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #8

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
Comments anyone?
There's no point in owning a Canadian. We eat a lot of bacon. If we don't get our allotted portion of bacon, we get cranky and stop being so polite. You can try and placate us with maple syrup and Tim Bits, but eventually you will feel our tepid wrath when we stop apologizing every time you hit us for not completing our slave tasks.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #9

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Zzyzx wrote: Yes, belief should be so firmly embedded that it persists in spite of encountering evidence and reasoning that contradict its claims and stories.
I was referring to reasons and beliefs that Christians have and that have not been disproven or contradicted. At this point bringing up objections would only lead to the Christian seeing that there are some reasons on both sides of the debate. This is far different than a Christian who has no real acceptable reasons for their belief, and so when they encounter objections, it easily shakes their Christian belief.

But as I mentioned before, it is becoming increasingly harder to take biblical objections as being a big or genuine problem given that there are so many explanations that refute many objections. All people gotta do is research and educate themselves!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Zzyzx »

OpenYourEyes wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Yes, belief should be so firmly embedded that it persists in spite of encountering evidence and reasoning that contradict its claims and stories.
I was referring to reasons and beliefs that Christians have and that have not been disproven or contradicted.
Is this to say that beliefs, no matter how illogical, should be maintained unless they have be disproved or contradicted by others?

If so, a person who was taught as a child to believe in leprechauns should maintain that belief into adulthood unless it has been disproved or contradicted.

Leprechauns have not been disproved (If anyone disagrees, cite evidence to prove that Leprechauns do not exist somewhere). Many claims made for them have been contradicted by what is known of the real world.

The same goes for all the thousands of god beliefs.
OpenYourEyes wrote: At this point bringing up objections would only lead to the Christian seeing that there are some reasons on both sides of the debate.
Exactly. An astute Believer can then give serious consideration to the merits of what is presented pro and con. I trust that happens with readers of our threads (more so perhaps than debaters who are heavily emotionally committed to their beliefs).
OpenYourEyes wrote: This is far different than a Christian who has no real acceptable reasons for their belief, and so when they encounter objections, it easily shakes their Christian belief.
It seems as though those with "no real acceptable reasons for their belief" are the most adamant in promoting and defending the beliefs. "Ignorance is bliss" and "Don't confuse them with facts" may apply.
OpenYourEyes wrote: But as I mentioned before, it is becoming increasingly harder to take biblical objections as being a big or genuine problem given that there are so many explanations that refute many objections.
Refuting objections doesn't seem to fare very well in these debates where religion isn't given preferential treatment and where its company literature isn't accepted as authoritative or proof of truth.

However, refuting objections may seem convincing in church and in environments where opposition views are absent.
OpenYourEyes wrote: All people gotta do is research and educate themselves!
The more people become educated the less religious they tend to be in general.
Non-Theist