An unnecessary consulting project

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

An unnecessary consulting project

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

You are a business consultant. Work has been slow recently, and you haven't had a good contract in months. Out of the blue, Norman, a potential client who has heard of you through word of mouth, calls you up and asks for a proposal on a project for his company. You have been highly recommended to him by a former client, and Norman assures you that you will have preferential treatment when it comes to evaluating your proposal. A critical situation has come up in his company that he needs to deal with. From the way Norman describes the project, the compensation could constitute about twice your usual yearly income. You agree to look through the RFP and write a proposal right away.

As you read through the RFP and familiarize yourself with the company, you realize that the project Norman wants you to bid on is unnecessary -- you recognize that this project, even if successfully carried out, would not make any difference whatsoever to the company and would not address the critical situation. Further, you recognize that this situation that has caused Norman to issue an RFP is one that can be easily rectified at virtually no cost.

What do you do?

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

Can we say "the customer is always right"?

No, no, that's far too dastardly. In all seriousness, though I might be accused of a lack of compassion or ethical conduct in other areas, taking advantage of a company in this way is something I could not do. Not only might the ramifications to the employees be great, but the risk to my own integrity as a business consultant more than persuades me to give some cheap advice to Norman rather than going ahead with his plan.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I would tell Norman that the project is unnecessary and suggest the little cost solution.

This act of goodwill will most likely immediately increase credibility with Norman and he will consider me for future projects if the needs arise. However, if I go ahead with the project, and Norman finds out later that the project was unnecessary, he most likely will not use my services again.

mrmufin
Scholar

Re: An unnecessary consulting project

Post #4

Post by mrmufin »

ST88 wrote:As you read through the RFP and familiarize yourself with the company, you realize that the project Norman wants you to bid on is unnecessary -- you recognize that this project, even if successfully carried out, would not make any difference whatsoever to the company and would not address the critical situation. Further, you recognize that this situation that has caused Norman to issue an RFP is one that can be easily rectified at virtually no cost.

What do you do?
I'd probably question Norm about the objectives and strategies of the project. Is he aware that the project may be ineffective? Is Norm relaying bad information in good faith, or is he trying to push one past you? Your questioning of the project lets Norm know that you've actually read the RFP and have some reservations. If this is new and useful information to Norm --and he appreciates your concerns-- you've helped yourself for the long haul. If your concerns really matter to Norm, you've just earned special consideration for future RFPs. If you've done the client well, perhaps you'll get a cookie...

If none of this matters to Norm, I'd be very reluctant to do business with him.

Regards,
mrmufin

TransverseWave

Re: An unnecessary consulting project

Post #5

Post by TransverseWave »

ST88 wrote:What do you do?
If I'm a consultant, clients are paying for my expertise, and it's proper that I should charge for it. Now apparently the solution to their critical problem is not obvious to them, nor is the inapplicability of the original project apparent; I am therefore assuming that we have a situation in which my expertise has come into play.

I therefore make a counterproposal in which I explain why the original project doesn't address the problem, and offer to present a different and more effective solution at less cost; possibly I provide an estimate. If they accept, I present the solution that I have thought of, and I bill for my time. Presumably, this won't be a particularly large bill, since the general outline of the solution was evident to me as soon as I understood the problem; however, there may be details to the solution that nevertheless take some time to develop.

No, I'm not going to take a large amount of money to fail to address a problem, when I see how I can solve it for less. It'd impair my professional integrity and my self-respect. I would hope that my honest work would bring me more business in the future.