Copy of initial thread post on every page

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Copy of initial thread post on every page

Post #1

Post by otseng »

To help make it a bit easier to remember what the original purpose of each thread is, I've modified the code to put a copy of the first post of a thread at the top of each page in that thread. The copied post will have at the top of the message area [Copy of initial thread post].

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Copy of initial thread post on every page

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

otseng wrote:To help make it a bit easier to remember what the original purpose of each thread is, I've modified the code to put a copy of the first post of a thread at the top of each page in that thread. The copied post will have at the top of the message area [Copy of initial thread post].
This is a good idea, and I like the way it works. But it can get confusing from page to page as to who is responding to what if you happen to come in on pages beyond 1. Might I suggest numbering the posts so it's clear how many posts there have been to that point. I believe that this is the reason AD does it.

otseng
Savant

Re: Copy of initial thread post on every page

Post #3

Post by otseng »

ST88 wrote:Might I suggest numbering the posts so it's clear how many posts there have been to that point. I believe that this is the reason AD does it.
OK, good idea. I've now put the post number to the left of the post time.

israeltour
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by israeltour »

Just a minor bug I noticed: when someone posts the last post that can fit on a page, a new page is started immediately with a blank post at the top.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

israeltour wrote:Just a minor bug I noticed: when someone posts the last post that can fit on a page, a new page is started immediately with a blank post at the top.
I'm not able to reproduce this bug. Could you give me the url that shows a blank post? Thanks.

israeltour
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by israeltour »

otseng wrote:
israeltour wrote:Just a minor bug I noticed: when someone posts the last post that can fit on a page, a new page is started immediately with a blank post at the top.
I'm not able to reproduce this bug. Could you give me the url that shows a blank post? Thanks.
Next time I see it, I'll post it here... but it will be valid until the following post on that thread.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ST88 »

otseng wrote:
If you hurry, you can see an example here:
http://www.debatex.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=30
Check any thread that has x9 replies (19, 29, 39, etc.) and this error should come up. A thte bottom of the page, it shows that there are 4 pages instead of 3 (for example), and a click on page 4 will produce the error.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

OK, I see it.

Instead of trying to fix my code, I found a mod that will do this. So, I've replaced my code with the mod. There was actually a (different) bug in that one as well. But, I liked that layout better so I fixed the bug in the mod instead. Let me know if you see anymore problems.