Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

graphicsguy
Student

Christians

Post #1

Post by graphicsguy »

Hi,

Would any/all of the Christians on this board mind summing up as succinctly as possible just what you personally believe?

Reading through some topics I find it very strange what some of you say (based on what I used to believe) and how much your beliefs differ from each other.

I was very evangelical (pentecostal), believed the Bible was the infallible Word directly from God, baptism in the Holy Spirit, baptism in water, eternal punishment in hell, everlasting glory in heaven, we all have a purpose to bring glory to God, etc.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Christians

Post #11

Post by OnceConvinced »

Samwise wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote: So if a person becomes a christian and then later in life rejects christ, they still get into heaven. And all of this i can prove with scripture
If a person becomes a Christian he will never reject Christ. It is possible for a person to make a profession of being a Christian but not really repent of his sins or have true faith. He might even deceive himself and think that he is really a Christian. This type of "Christian" can later turn from the faith and deny Christ, but this rejection is evidence that he was never really saved in the first place. "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they are not of us." (1 John 2:19, ESV)
So what makes you so sure you are a Christian? You could be decieving yourself. You may not have really repented of your sins. You may not have true faith. So how do you know? How many years faithfully serving God and worshiping him do you need to go through before you can be assured you are a true Chrstian? Is 30 years enough?

I guess you don't believe Judas was a true Christian. Or that Paul was wrong when he considered even himself in danger of falling from the faith.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

What about the verses that say that your name can be erased from the book of life?

elle
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by elle »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:What about the verses that say that your name can be erased from the book of life?
Which ones are those?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.--Carl Sagan

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:What about the verses that say that your name can be erased from the book of life?
elle wrote:Which ones are those?
I believe that scottlittlefield17's post was in error. I think that there is only one such verse:
Revelation 3:5 (New American Standard Bible) wrote:He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
and it's reference is weak. He is saying that he will not erase certain names. Scottlittlefield17 must imply from that that he will erase other names.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

Can you provide a reference for that one? I believe you are right, but would love to know the exact scripture.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #16

Post by OnceConvinced »

McCulloch wrote:
elle wrote:Which ones are those?
I believe that scottlittlefield17's post was in error. I think that there is only one such verse:
Revelation 3:5 (New American Standard Bible) wrote:He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
and it's reference is weak. He is saying that he will not erase certain names. Scottlittlefield17 must imply from that that he will erase other names.
It would seem logical to me, otherwise there would be no mention of erasing names at all.

elena
Student

Post #17

Post by elena »

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Creator of Heaven and Earth
And in Jesus Christ
His only Son, Our Lord
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit
Born of the Virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate
Was crucified, died and was buried.
On the third day, he rose again
He ascended into Heaven
and is seated at the right hand
of God, the Father Almighty.
He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Holy Catholic Church,
the Communion of Saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen.