Kings

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

GrumpyMrGruff
Apprentice

Kings

Post #1

Post by GrumpyMrGruff »

Last week NBC premiered Kings, a television show retelling the events of the books of Samuel and Kings in a modern setting. I enjoyed it. Personally, I find the Bible as painfully dry. This modern retelling makes the story more accessible and engaging (if less faithful to the original), though the acting is a bit overdone.

Has anyone here seen any episodes? What are your thoughts?

For US internet users, full episodes are available at Hulu. A workaround for other users is suggested here.

I suppose (because I just noticed that the entertainment forum was filed under debate rather than discussion) I should add some questions for debate:

When biblical stories are recast to appeal to modern audiences, are their religious messages preserved or lost?

Are such drastically revised stories a useful way of introducing religious scripture to people who might not wish to invest the time in reading the original?

Sender
Sage

Post #2

Post by Sender »

I have watched this series, IAN McShane is so awesome. Loved him in Deadwood.

I have an old saying that has always held true, and I believe it will here as well..."when it comes to God and Jesus, don't believe Hollywood".

Speaking of entertainment, am I allowed to promote my daughters music in here?

It's not for sale, but just to get you guys to listen to it and comment on it?

She is a music entertainer, singer/songwriter, musician. She's very good. I have some youtube videos if I can post it.