Serious qestion 2

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

being05
Student

Serious qestion 2

Post #1

Post by being05 »

I think that "humans" haven't reached their full potential due to 3 major reasons:

Money
Race
Religion.

If anyone disagrees, please explain. Thanks

The Hungry Atheist
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by The Hungry Atheist »

I know certain people who possess substantial amounts of money, follow a particular religion, and are of a certain race, but who I still consider wonderful people the likes of whom the world could do with a lot more of. People's negative attitudes to these three things have certainly held us back in many ways, but then so have negative attitudes about a lot of things. None of them strike me as being necessarily evil; religion I consider unnecessary, but I still find many religious people to be thoroughly agreeable, and when you say "race", I'd assume you're referring to man's resulting discrimination rather than the diversity of the human race itself.

It might help if you expanded slightly on your meaning, particularly in your other threads.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Serious qestion 2

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

being05 wrote:Money
Race
Religion.

being05:

This is a provacative question. Could you make the connections between these ideas and what you call "human potential"? For example, in what context of each of these items would you say is detrimental to humanity? Not having enough money or too much? Race or discrimination based on race? Religion in general or specific tenets of existing religions? Where do you think humanity would be without these points?

being05
Student

Post #4

Post by being05 »

I think these issues divide us, and thus ables us to be conquered. Without the division, people wouldn't be afriad to try different things. Who knows where we'd be. I do realize that things could be worse than they appear to be. Could is the key word.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

Your initial post brought two questions to mind:

What do you believe man's full potential is?

And how do you think he can reach it?

Arch
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Arch »

being05 wrote:I think these issues divide us, and thus ables us to be conquered. Without the division, people wouldn't be afriad to try different things. Who knows where we'd be. I do realize that things could be worse than they appear to be. Could is the key word.
I think I can see what you are saying Being, if I am correct in my assessment of your words then I agree with you.

It seems you are saying that Money, religion and race are tools used to distract the masses and keep us under control. Whilst the minority of the planet rules us and control majority of its wealth.

I say this all the time, many things that occupy our minds like religion, race and the search for riches or even the class system many say doesn't exist allows us to be distracted from what the world could be or our full potential.

Example because of these things many well let atrocities happen to their fellow man. Because, the Iraqis are Muslims it doesn't matter that they are dying. Because the African are so called pagan or savages it doesn't matter that they are starving. Because America is A CHRISTIAN NATION, we are always right and on the side of GOD, so whatever we do to other nations is righteous.

Because he was black he was inferior so it doesn't matter if we make them slaves. He race is 3/5 animal so it doesn't matter if we rape her.
He is a Blackman so it doesn't matter if he is racial profiled.

Because he comes from a poor community he must be a criminal so it doesn't matter if he is in jail for a crime he didn't commit. Because she comes from a ghetto she must be trash so it doesn't matter that her community is ravished with crime and her children can't get a good education.

Some people don't actually say these things but their action or should I say inactivity says it all. We as people sit back and justify and let go on many things simply because of the religion, race or economic status of the people it is happening to.

So if that is what you are saying Being I agree. I think if many of these things were out the way and were not distracting us, we might see what's going on in the world and be moved to act against it.

We might see the distribution of wealth is unproportionate and that Americans waste more resources that some countries have access to at all. We might see that there are enough resources on this planet that no one actually has to starve. I’m not saying everyone can be wealthy or even well off, but according to sociologist and environmental scientist no one should have to starve.

For whatever reason we see people as inferior whether it is because of their religion their race or their economic status, this thought of inferiority allows us to sit back and allow things to happen to them and even justify them.

How about that for the potential of humanity a world where everyone can at least eat.
RELIGION IS A PRISON FOR THE SEEKERS OF WISDOM
Simplicity is Profundity
Simply put if you cant prove it, you cant reasonably be mad at me for not believing it

Arthra
Student

Re: Serious qestion 2

Post #7

Post by Arthra »

being05 wrote:I think that "humans" haven't reached their full potential due to 3 major reasons:

Money
Race
Religion.

As a Baha'i our religion prohibits racism and abolishes racial and religious prejudice. we also believe in principles such as the elimination of the extremes of wealth and poverty, that there should be a world government and a world court.

- Art

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by BeHereNow »

Your concerns come into play if we are thinking of Mankind or society.
I would say that there are individual humans who do not have these problems.
I would agree with you that these stumbling blocks have prevented society from realizing its full potential, but I would say that certain humans have realized their full potentials, or that if they have not realized their full potential, it is not due to these factors.
If evolution is valid, we might expect more from individuals in the future.
If evolution is not valid, some have arrived.
If an individual has realized their full potential, does it matter that society has not?
Is it enough that we find “ourselves”, or must we find our place in society?
Personally, I would be content to know that I have realized my full potential, regardless of society.