Doing good to harm someone

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

scorpia
Sage

Doing good to harm someone

Post #1

Post by scorpia »

This was a scenario I ended up considering; If there was someone who somehow believed that doing something that is actually good, (like giving money, or gifts, etc) would harm a person, and did the act in the belief that it would harm, would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #2

Post by mrmufin »

scorpia wrote:If there was someone who somehow believed that doing something that is actually good, (like giving money, or gifts, etc) would harm a person, and did the act in the belief that it would harm, would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
My short answer is: whether or not the action was good or bad would be dependent upon whether you're the giver, recipient, or an observer. It's an interesting question, though, and in evaluating it, I considered the following hypothetical situation:

Suppose Roxy is a heroin addict, and for whatever reasons, her "friend" Lucy just doesn't want her around anymore. Roxy's strapped for cash (as usual ;-) ), but Lucy just a got a nice, big holiday bonus. Though Lucy's clean, she keeps her ear to the wall and knows that there's some high test Afghani smack in the 'hood which, if Roxy consumes in her regular capacity, might just cause a deadly overdose. With all that in mind, Lucy decides to give a few hundred dollars to Roxy, along with the information about where to hook up.

Clearly (or perhaps not so), Lucy's intent in giving money and information to Roxy is malicious: she wants Roxy well out of the way. However, upon receiving the cash and info (as opposed to a gift of high test Afghani heroin), Roxy has a variety of options. She need not use the information and money to buy the smack, or she may buy percoset, valium, vicodin, or some other "bargain basement" opiate derivative. As well, she might take the money and information and get the dealer arrested and check herself into rehab. Whether Roxy's gift of money to Lucy was good or bad is dependent upon both perspective and ultimate outcome.

Hopefully, I've not thoroughly bastardized your question with my example... ;-)

Regards,
mrmufin

concerro
Apprentice

intent vs impact

Post #3

Post by concerro »

I beleive an act is only truly good when intent and impact are the same.
If I do something good to you, but I was trying to do something bad and you find out I am pretty sure you will not want to be my friend if you know I am plotting to do something bad regardless of what actually took place, but at the same time if I try to help, and make matters worse you may still be upset but most likely I will be forgiven because you know my actions were intended to be in your best interest.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds dicuss events, Small minds discuss people.
~Eleanor Roosenvelt~

Corvus
Guru

Re: Doing good to harm someone

Post #4

Post by Corvus »

scorpia wrote:This was a scenario I ended up considering; If there was someone who somehow believed that doing something that is actually good, (like giving money, or gifts, etc) would harm a person, and did the act in the belief that it would harm, would that be a good thing or a bad thing?
I think your question is essentially how should we judge someone, by their deeds, or by the intent of the deeds? Also, there is the question of how do we judge deeds, by their effects, or by their intent? "By their fruits, ye shall know them", they say, but being an avid humanitarian does not necessarily equate to being a literal altruist if the person might be only doing these things out of lust for glory.

I judge the goodness of a deed by its benefit to mankind. If it achieves this aim, I have no concern as to what was behind the intent - though, of course, principles that cannot be subverted as a reason to do bad things should be encouraged. As to how one should judge a person, this is something I try to avoid, though often it is inevitable.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

scorpia
Sage

Post #5

Post by scorpia »

Clearly (or perhaps not so), Lucy's intent in giving money and information to Roxy is malicious: she wants Roxy well out of the way. However, upon receiving the cash and info (as opposed to a gift of high test Afghani heroin), Roxy has a variety of options. She need not use the information and money to buy the smack, or she may buy percoset, valium, vicodin, or some other "bargain basement" opiate derivative. As well, she might take the money and information and get the dealer arrested and check herself into rehab. Whether Roxy's gift of money to Lucy was good or bad is dependent upon both perspective and ultimate outcome.
In which case, although the person appers to be helping but aiming for a bad outcome, the outcome may not necessarily be successful (I think that's what you're saying). Yes, that's true. I was considering the bad outcome to be the successful one, but.
I judge the goodness of a deed by its benefit to mankind. If it achieves this aim, I have no concern as to what was behind the intent - though, of course, principles that cannot be subverted as a reason to do bad things should be encouraged. As to how one should judge a person, this is something I try to avoid, though often it is inevitable.
Again, true. And yes, it's best to avoid judgement, like you said.

The question was supposed to be the opposite of 'getting a bad result from someone trying to help', although for that scenario there it's the thought that counts. But if that is so, then I thought it may be true in the reverse situation. Although one cannot forget the benefit the person did, no matter what the aim.
'Belief is never giving up.'- Random footy adverisement.

Sometimes even a wise man is wrong. Sometimes even a fool is right.