No
54%

Total votes: 13

MaxBecher

Tradition

Post #1

Post by MaxBecher »

Hi folks, I'm new here.

Why do so many Christians (Catholics are the only exception, I think) believe in the bible alone? If God intended us to belive in the bible alone, wouldn't that be in the bible? And it isn't. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the bible isn't God's word (it is!). I'm simply saying that we shouldn't belive in the bible ALONE, but Sacred Tradition as well. And the bible says so. Look at these passages (I am using the New American Bible):

1 Cor. 11:2
I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold fast to the traditions, just as I handed them on to you. [emphasis added]

2 Thes. 2:15
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours. [emphasis added]

There it is, as plain as anything. St. Paul is praising the Corinthians and Thessalonians because they held fast to the traditions. How can any bible-believing Christian honestly say that we should not believe in Sacred Tradition? It just baffles me.

I hope I haven't seemed rude or offensive, that was not my intention. I'm just confused that so many good, truth-seeking people could be so misled. I look forward to hear what you have to say about this.

BTW -- I am Catholic, in case you want to know.

Max

YEC
Sage

Post #2

Post by YEC »

Just what was this tradition the Thessalonians held?

The problem is, is that you don't have a clue as to what the tradition was...yet feel comfortable making assumptions about it...then claim that truth seeking people are misled...because they don't follow a tradition they know absolutly nothing about?

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #3

Post by nikolayevich »

Greetings MaxBecher,

Please note the rules before making your post.
10. Spamming (duplicate posts, advertisements, etc) is not allowed.

Also, your thread on Tradition already deals with Sola Scriptura. Please continue posts there.