Bible Riddle

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

cleopas

Bible Riddle

Post #1

Post by cleopas »

Who likes a Riddle?
If you are a Bible reader you are familiar with the three patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Abraham died at 175 years. (Genesis 25:7) 7 times 5 squared= 175
Isaac died at 180 years (Genesis 35:28) 5 times 6 squared= 180
Jacob dies at 147 years (Genesis 47:28) 3 times 7 squared=147

Is it possible that these patriarchs died according to these mathematical formulas?
What is the explanation for this anomaly?
Is this a clue provided for us to indicate Genesis is fiction?

Savant

Re: Bible Riddle

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

cleopas wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 pm Who likes a Riddle?
If you are a Bible reader you are familiar with the three patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Is it possible that these patriarchs died according to these mathematical formulas?
You could make a mathematical formula about any age. So I don't think it means anything.

But, it seems people have age limit in 120. Do you think it is a coincidence, or is it an indication that Bible is not fiction?

Yahweh said, "My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years."
Gen. 6:3

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 am

You could make a mathematical formula about any age. So I don't think it means anything.

But, it seems people have age limit in 120. Do you think it is a coincidence, or is it an indication that Bible is not fiction?

Yahweh said, "My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years."
Gen. 6:3
One can indeed juggle figures, so I tend to leave mathematical proof alone (partly because I'm rubbish at mathematics). Last night I cam across and Aaron -Ra video showing how figures disproved the Flood. I got lost half way through, yet I know that, at a pinch, Flood apologists can simply shift the supposed date of the flood back 2,000 years to avoid early civilisations and writing - systems that predate the supposed Flood and carry on as though it hadn't happened.

But even then the prehistoric towns that predate the revised Flood date carry on through the supposed Flood without a sign of disruption.

But as to lifespans, you pick the one that you think you can get away with as 120 years seems at least seems not as improbable as 600 years or however long Adam supposedly had.

120 years is a bit much to swallow even today. But back in the Iron age even if you made fifty, you were doing well. But even if 120 years lifespan was feasible, today or then, that is simply saying God decreed the lifetime we all had. It is only because it is too long to be credible you even mention it.

i am starting to formulate a new Rule of Bible -apologetics (as well as Genesis events have to work - you cannot just wave a magic wand). It is this; science (at need) can be rejected, so long as it doesn't make the apologist a laughing - stock. So because it seems beyond mental grasp deep time geology is rejected in favor of a 6 day creation and a flood about 6 thousand years ago, but one has to deny that the Bible describes a flat earth as that will just get laffs.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I have a math blind spot but my question is , does it matter ? Would anything be different in terms of the overall theme and content if scripture?

cleopas wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:42 pm Is this a clue provided for us to indicate Genesis is fiction?

Since the chapters and verses were added long after the content was written, I cannot see that the above adds or detracts from the historical accuracy of the original writings.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8