What is your opinion regarding 'blasphemy '?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

What is your opinion regarding 'blasphemy '?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Is it the same as free speech.
What makes it objectionable.
Can you give an example of blasphemy.
Does it need to be controlled. Why?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Masterblaster
Sage

Re: What is your opinion regarding 'blasphemy '?

Post #21

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Data
You said - - Truth only means something that is commonly believed

I gave you the example of something commonly believed, which is your criteria for truth.

The belief in Yahweh at the time of Jesus.

Now the questions Data.
Was Jesus correct in calling out the actions of the Temple Pharisees as blasphemous. Were they detracting from the core elements of Yahweh worship (highlighted), mercy, justice ,faithfulness.
Was the doctrine of a personable loving God as developed by Christianity ,blasphemous to the accepted truth of Yahweh.

Data
Sage

Post #22

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:55 am Hello Data
You said - - Truth only means something that is commonly believed

I gave you the example of something commonly believed, which is your criteria for truth.

The belief in Yahweh at the time of Jesus.

Now the questions Data.
Was Jesus correct in calling out the actions of the Temple Pharisees as blasphemous. Were they detracting from the core elements of Yahweh worship (highlighted), mercy, justice ,faithfulness.
Was the doctrine of a personable loving God as developed by Christianity ,blasphemous to the accepted truth of Yahweh.
If you know enough to ask the question you know enough to supply the data which would lead you to some conclusion. What would that data be? I could say yes, or no, but it wouldn't matter without the data. I haven't given it any thought as you've presented it, so I would be better off examining your data first. Do you have a conclusion?

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #23

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Data
You ask - I haven't given it any thought as you've presented it, so I would be better off examining your data first. Do you have a conclusion?
My conclusion is that both matters referred to are blasphemous. I see this blasphemy as a form of misrepresentation not unlike slander. People used the established accepted platform to present an untruth through it.

Data
Sage

Post #24

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:52 pm Hello Data
You ask - I haven't given it any thought as you've presented it, so I would be better off examining your data first. Do you have a conclusion?
My conclusion is that both matters referred to are blasphemous. I see this blasphemy as a form of misrepresentation not unlike slander. People used the established accepted platform to present an untruth through it.
Okay, but what specifically is misrepresentative about those two matters? Is your contention that implementations were corrupted? Or are you, for some reason, suggesting the implementation itself was rooted in blasphemy? Because in a general sense both are implemented by God himself.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #25

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:52 pm Hello Data
Just to clarify, is your contention that blasphemy is not what one says but does? As the example the Gospel story of the Priests and teachers of the Law, not doing the intention of God, even is keeping within the letter of the law?

I would certainly (for example, even if I didn't beleive the underlying religion) that Televangelists, Faith healers and teachers of the prosperity gospel, are absolutely blaspheming in the sense of misrepresenting the intentions of God.

I don't want to go off -topic, but I am astounded that people fall for this, especially the prosperity gospel, which is not only a palpable scam, but utterly against every teaching of the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #26

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello TRANSFORMER
Blasphemy is manifest in actions. As these actions become more engrained within the doctrine their lying resonance becomes more amplified.Take a simple example, how can a loving god burn people forever in Hell and do this in the same doctrine.

Data can extrapulate ad nauseam on this but the plain facts of the situation are as follows.
The accepted truth of the time, by Data's own definition, was the Yahweh god of Abraham, Isaac etc This God belief, subsequently, suffers a mutilation of a thousand cuts which creates the following absurd situation.

Christian's believe in a different God than the one Jesus believed in. The Yahweh god is now a trinity thingy. How absurdly weird.

bjs1
Sage

Post #27

Post by bjs1 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:59 am
bjs1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:19 am
Masterblaster wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 am Slander was and still is punishable.
Blasphemy might be called slander against God. If He wishes to press a civil suit, that would be His right, and only His.
Masterblaster wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 am Treasonous discourse is illegal and punishable. Is heresy a justifiable offence?
Blasphemy might be considered "treasonous discourse" against God. If God wishes to press charges, that would be His right. No one else has the authority to do so on His behalf.
And yet as Data shows at great length above, earthly personages claim to speak for God and dictate what should be done in His Holt Name. Strikes me as a serious case of taking his name in vain and His authority to bolster their own opinions and authority. Which is i suppose what Jesus was protesting about in the gospels.
Putting the phrase “claim to speak” in the present tense seems suspect, particularly since the context of my post was what is “punishable.” Data referred to Jewish laws and Christian ethics, neither of which have carried the force of law in hundreds of years.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #28

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Masterblaster wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:30 pm Hello TRANSFORMER
Blasphemy is manifest in actions. As these actions become more engrained within the doctrine their lying resonance becomes more amplified.Take a simple example, how can a loving god burn people forever in Hell and do this in the same doctrine.

Data can extrapulate ad nauseam on this but the plain facts of the situation are as follows.
The accepted truth of the time, by Data's own definition, was the Yahweh god of Abraham, Isaac etc This God belief, subsequently, suffers a mutilation of a thousand cuts which creates the following absurd situation.

Christian's believe in a different God than the one Jesus believed in. The Yahweh god is now a trinity thingy. How absurdly weird.
This is a basic matter. It is rather a matter ofd wrong doctrine constituting blasphemy. Unlike an atheist or god -hater who calls OT god a vile, murdering dictatorial beast which would mean an eternity in Hell if it was real, but someone who believeth in Jesus and praised His Name Alway, but with the wrong doctrine, is going to burn alongside.

"What are you in for?"

"Calling OT God a Fink. What about You?"

"I believed that 'give all you have to the poor' was metaphorical."

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #29

Post by JehovahsWitness »

• What is your opinion regarding blasphemy? That it is a bad thing and should be avoided at all cost
  • Is it the same as free speech? No Free speech is a civil concept that everyone has the right to express what they believe. Blasphemy is a religious concept that it is wrong speak or act disrespectfully towards God or His appointed representatives.
  • Can you give an example of blasphemy? Cursing God's name (see Leviticus 10:11)
  • What makes it objectionable? It is offensive to God (and to those that love him) as it undermines his authority, name and reputation.
  • Does it need to be controlled. Why? Yes. Because without respect for God and his representatives, everlasting life is not possible.

RELATED POSTS

What were the Jewish Anti-blasphemy laws?
viewtopic.php?p=981228#p981228
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #30

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:25 am
  • What is your opinion regarding blasphemy? That it is a bad thing and should be avoided at all cost
  • Is it the same as free speech? No Free speech is a civil concept that everyone has the right to express what they believe. Blasphemy is a religious concept that it is wrong speak or act disrespectfully towards God or His appointed representatives.
  • Can you give an example of blasphemy? Cursing God's name (see Leviticus 10:11)
  • What makes it objectionable? It is offensive to God (and to those that love him) as it undermines his authority, name and reputation.
  • Does it need to be controlled. Why? Yes. Because without respect for God and his representatives, everlasting life is not possible.

RELATED POSTS

What were the Jewish Anti-blasphemy laws?
viewtopic.php?p=981228#p981228
Blasphemy in the religious sense is a shibboleth without force or validity except in some countries where it results in office staff being gunned down. Fortunately Christianity hasn't got to that stage yet and hopefully won't.

Free speech is arguable. One might suppose that everything that one does or even thinks is judged by God. As you say, offensive to God. And should be controlled and punished by God's representatives.

For this reason alone dropping Religion is a good thing for society, and I look to the day when it becomes accountable, investigatable, taxable and punishable for what has been done by its' users, covering their misdeeds by the religious inviolability cloak.