Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

The better half of the joke

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

... is that evolutionists not only say that some animal species come from previous ones, but they also say that each plant species comes from another previous one (or that they used to say BEFORE)... This, after, according to them, plants stopped living in the water to start living on land... kind of like when fish ceasing to be aquatic to become semi-terrestrial amphibians ... or humans stopped living in caves to start building houses :D

Did you know this part of the story? It is never ending.

Do you think that the millions of years that the planet has existed are enough for so many SUPERDUPERULTRASLOW transformations that these scientists talk about?

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: The better half of the joke

Post #91

Post by LittleNipper »

Miles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:37 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:44 am
Miles wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:38 am
LittleNipper wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:38 pm
I personally do not hold that most of what scientists regard as different species actually are. Any animal that can mate with another are of the same kind or species.
While this was the prevailing species definition until 50 years ago, and you're welcome to hold on to it as long as you wish, it did have its shortcomings and has been all but abandoned. Since then, and in an attempt to deal with these weaknesses and other issues, new species concepts have been put forward:

...............................Species Concepts
.....................Alternative Species Definitions

Biological Species Concept ( e g , Mayr, 1942,1963)
Isolation [Species] Concept (e.g., Paterson, 1985)
Recognition [Species] Concept (e.g., Paterson, 1985)
Evolutionary Species Concept (e.g., Wiley, 1978, 1981)
Ecological Species Concept (Van Valen, 1976)
Cohesion Species Concept (Templeton, 1989)
Phylogenetic Species Concept (e.g., Cracraft, 1983)
Phylogenetic species concept I (Panchen, 1992)
Phylogenetic species concept I I (Donoghue, 1985; Mishler, 1985)
Phylogenetic species concept I l l (Cracraft, 1983)
Genealogical Species Concept (Baum and Shaw,1995)
Phenetic Species Concept (Sokal and Crovello, 1970)
Genotypic Cluster [Species] Definition (Mallet, 1995)
source

And why should I "change to accept some new definition ". I don't need any excuses.
And there was no "should" urging you to. Like I said, "you're welcome to hold on to it (the outdated concept of species) as long as you wish." I see no need to step out of character for me or the findings of science.---ever :mrgreen:

It's not outdated. The reality is that NOAH simply didn't need a species of every color and size and you don't seem to get that --- or you don't want to get it...

Clownboat
Savant

Post #92

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:33 am It's not outdated. The reality is that NOAH simply didn't need a species of every color and size and you don't seem to get that --- or you don't want to get it...
350,000 species of beetles on the planet. How many species do you think Noah had on the ark?
Over 11,000 species of birds on this planet. How many species do you think Noah had on the ark?

By the way, you never did provide the information about how salt and fresh water doesn't mix or whatever you were alluding to earlier. I assume you looked in to it and found out you were mistaken to offer such a thing up to explain how salt and fresh water dependent animals survived the flood. Any other ideas about how such animals survived or should we just not think about such things in your opinion as it then makes the story harder to believe?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #93

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:40 pm
LittleNipper wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:33 am It's not outdated. The reality is that NOAH simply didn't need a species of every color and size and you don't seem to get that --- or you don't want to get it...
350,000 species of beetles on the planet. How many species do you think Noah had on the ark?
Over 11,000 species of birds on this planet. How many species do you think Noah had on the ark?

By the way, you never did provide the information about how salt and fresh water doesn't mix or whatever you were alluding to earlier. I assume you looked in to it and found out you were mistaken to offer such a thing up to explain how salt and fresh water dependent animals survived the flood. Any other ideas about how such animals survived or should we just not think about such things in your opinion as it then makes the story harder to believe?
Consider this:

brunumb
Savant

Post #94

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #93]

Notice how carefully the two containers were handled. Fresh water is less dense than salt water and will tend to float as a layer on the top. But, just a little bit of agitation or stirring will cause them to mix and form a uniform solution. Listening to all the creationist descriptions of the cataclysmic biblical flood, it is patently obvious which scenario applies. Epic fail, sorry.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #95

Post by Clownboat »

brunumb wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:41 pm [Replying to LittleNipper in post #93]

Notice how carefully the two containers were handled. Fresh water is less dense than salt water and will tend to float as a layer on the top. But, just a little bit of agitation or stirring will cause them to mix and form a uniform solution. Listening to all the creationist descriptions of the cataclysmic biblical flood, it is patently obvious which scenario applies. Epic fail, sorry.
Also failed to answer:

All of us reading know why... because it is nonsensical to claim that evolution doesn't happen while requiring super evolution to explain what we now see on this planet.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Tcg
Savant

Post #96

Post by Tcg »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:35 pm
According to Genesis 7:3, Noah was told by "the LORD" to take 7 pairs of each kind of bird. That would be a total of 154,000 birds assuming the 11,000 estimate. Later in the same chapter, we read that Noah was 600 years old when the flood started. Clear signs that the author was telling a mythological tale.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #97

Post by LittleNipper »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:35 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:41 pm [Replying to LittleNipper in post #93]

Also failed to answer:

All of us reading know why... because it is nonsensical to claim that evolution doesn't happen while requiring super evolution to explain what we now see on this planet.
Creationists do NOT regard a view of evolution that promotes that all species originated from one living thing billions of years in the past. Creationists only accept that every living ting is unique but that they remain true to their kind and are incapable to becoming a new and different kind. Horses remain horses, cats remain cats, dogs remain dogs, and beetles remain beetles.There may in actually be only a few hundred different kinds of beetles. The rest are all variation of the same.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #98

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #97]
But at last once in my life I want to meet a creationist who says that he believes in macroevolution but not in microevolution!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Clownboat
Savant

Post #99

Post by Clownboat »

LittleNipper wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:36 pm Creationists do NOT regard a view of evolution that promotes that all species originated from one living thing billions of years in the past. Creationists only accept that every living ting is unique but that they remain true to their kind and are incapable to becoming a new and different kind. Horses remain horses, cats remain cats, dogs remain dogs, and beetles remain beetles.
There may in actually be only a few hundred different kinds of beetles. The rest are all variation of the same.
There are in fact 350,000 species of beetles and 'kind' is a made up word by the religious to avoid facing this reality.

If Noah had only a pair of beetle on the ark, that doesn't seem all that hard to accommodate for, but that would require super evolution to get from 1 species of beetle to the 350,000 we now have on this planet. How can a evolution denier also argue for such an accelerated form of evolution? Calling a species a 'kind' doesn't cut it.

brunumb
Savant

Post #100

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to LittleNipper in post #97]

Many insects reproduce by laying their eggs in the bodies of other insects. How did these species multiply after they left the ark?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.