Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Bill Maher in Religioulous

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Some mild not safe for work language, I offer this video as a compelling case for all to refute religious belief.
Youtube - Bill Maher in Religulous
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Eph
Apprentice

Re: Bill Maher in Religioulous

Post #2

Post by Eph »

joeyknuccione wrote:Some mild not safe for work language, I offer this video as a compelling case for all to refute religious belief.
Youtube - Bill Maher in Religulous
I am looking forward to seeing this once it comes out on dvd and no, doubt, I will laugh at much of the religious dogma portrayed. However, I doubt it is a compelling case to refute ALL religious belief.

It appears though, that he is just representing one side of the coin while ignoring all the charitable, altruistic actions of many believers worldwide.

Without religion, there would be more taxes.
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Nilloc James »

It appears though, that he is just representing one side of the coin while ignoring all the charitable, altruistic actions of many believers worldwide.
Don't have to be a believer to do good things.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

I went with my son and daughter and we had some good laughs.
It was nice to see other people laughing too considering this is a very conservative part of Michigan here on the west side of the state.
I think he could have done more but he does get his point across.

Eph
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Eph »

Nilloc James wrote:
True, and I do like the phrase "...be good for goodness sake..." but I'd still be interested to get a breakdown of money spent on charitable organizations by the religious in this world. It must be astronomical.
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nilloc James »

Eph wrote:
Nilloc James wrote:
True, and I do like the phrase "...be good for goodness sake..." but I'd still be interested to get a breakdown of money spent on charitable organizations by the religious in this world. It must be astronomical.
The better judge would be money donated/believer or atheist.

And to be truely fair you would have to judge every religion seperatly.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #7

Post by Vladd44 »

For those that use usenet, there is a very good rip out of Religioulous. Watched it last week, worth the watch.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

David E
Student

Post #8

Post by David E »

Religulous was entertaining. But Bill Maher is far less knowledgable in counter-apologetics than most atheists who participate on forums like this.

Basically it gave us a few laughs at how utterly crazy religion can be. Light entertainment for the nonbeliever.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by kayky »

I saw Religulous and thought it was hilarious...however, I think Maher goes too far at the end...throwing the proverbial baby out with the proverbial bathwater, so to speak.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

It was a lot of fun and he did make a few good points. But it was certainly not an unbiased view nor did he let most of his targets fully explain themselves.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John