Macroevolution and microevolution

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Macroevolution and microevolution

Post #1

Post by otseng »

One of the points brought up before, and a key point in C vs E debates, is the difference between macroevolution and microevolution.

Both creationism and evolutionism believe in microevolution. There is no dispute that microevolution occurs.

But evolutionism believes in macroevolution, whereas creationism does not. This is the key point in the difference between C and E.

Here are some definitions:

Macroevolution

TalkOrigins
A term introduced by Theodosius Dobzhansky in 1937, referring to evolution at levels higher than the populational. Macroevolution in his view was evolutionary change at the level of speciation and above. Recently, the term has been used simply to refer to large scale change, mostly at the superspecies level, eg, by Niles Eldredge.
Hyperdictionary
Evolution on a large scale extending over geologic era and resulting in the formation of new taxonomic groups
Microevolution

TalkOrigins
A term referring to evolutionary changes beneath the level of the species. It includes, but is not limited to, adaptation to local environments. See also macroevolution.
Hyperdictionary
Evolution resulting from small specific genetic changes that can lead to a new subspecies
However, some evolutionists believe that there are no differences between microevolution and macroevolution.

So, is there a difference? Why or why not?

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

The reason I say that there's little difference between macroevolution and microevolution is that there's nothing preventing microevolution from becoming macroevolution given time. It's really a question of degrees. One is little change, the other is big change.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I believe there is a difference because the mechanism for change between micro and macro are different. In micro, the mechanism of changes can be explained by genes that were passed down from it's parents. It is simply a subset of genes from the father and mother. This is explained by Mendel's laws.

Whereas the mechanism for change in macro is genetic alteration. Genes have to have sufficiently been modified so that it can no longer reproduce within it's own species. This is actually in opposition to Mendel's laws.

cattious
Student

Post #4

Post by cattious »

Well, I think that it's a combination of both. Microevolution adapts a species until it has grown enough to survive the mutation of an extra chromosome (or gene, or whatever exactly it is, I forget and I'm tired...), leading to macroevolution. Or something like that.
What God Wants, God Gets God Help Us All...

Illyricum
Apprentice

Re: Macroevolution and microevolution

Post #5

Post by Illyricum »

otseng wrote:However, some evolutionists believe that there are no differences between microevolution and macroevolution.

Of course there is, that fact that one's a confirmed theory[micro] while the other is still in the hypothesis stage[macro], I'd say that's a pretty big difference.
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

Corvus
Guru

Re: Macroevolution and microevolution

Post #6

Post by Corvus »

Illyricum wrote:
otseng wrote:However, some evolutionists believe that there are no differences between microevolution and macroevolution.

Of course there is, that fact that one's a confirmed theory[micro] while the other is still in the hypothesis stage[macro], I'd say that's a pretty big difference.
Actually, if macroevolution is speciation, then it has not only been confirmed, it's been observed multiple times.
  • Two strains of Drosophila paulistorum developed hybrid sterility of male offspring between 1958 and 1963. Artificial selection induced strong intra-strain mating preferences. [Dobzhansky, Th., and O. Pavlovsky, 1971.]
  • Evidence that a species of fireweed formed by doubling of the chromosome count, from the original stock.[Mosquin, T., 1967.]
  • Rapid speciation of the Faeroe Island house mouse, which occurred in less than 250 years after man brought the creature to the island. [Stanley, S., 1979. Macroevolution: Pattern and Process]
  • Formation of five new species of cichlid fishes which formed since they were isolated less than 4000 years ago from the parent stock, Lake Nagubago. [Mayr, E., 1970. Populations, Species, and Evolution]
I advise you to read: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html for more instances of observed speciation.

Didymus
Student

Post #7

Post by Didymus »

Greetings, all. I discovered this forum through a google advertisement on www.iidb.org, where I am administrator and moderator of our own EvC forum. I happen to be particularly interested in this debate topic, so I hope no-one will mind if I crash in here with a few half-baked thoughts.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to meaningfully debate this topic as stated, because of the truly extreme variation in the definitions of the term macroevolution. Definitions of macroevolution are extremely diverse. I’ve obtained this list of definitions from a poster I know from IIDB, who happens to be a PhD in evolutionary theory:

Human biology text books.

Human Biology, Fifth Edition by Starr and McMillan:
macroevolution The large-scale patterns, trends, and rates of change among groups of species.
Human Biology, Second Edition by Johnson:
macroevolution Refers to large-scale evolutionary trends or changes that apply to whole groups of species, often as a result of changing environments or major historical events.
Human Biology, Seventh Edition by Mader: no definition.

Introductory biology texts.

Biology, Sixth Edition by Campbell and Reece:
macroevolution Evolutionary change on a grand scale, encompassing the origin of new taxonomic groups, evolutionary trends, adaptive radiation, and mass extinction.
Biology, Seventh Edition by Raven et al:
macroevolution (Gr. makros, large, + L. evolvere, to unfold) The creation of new species and the extinction of old ones.
Life: The Science of Biology, Sixth Edition by Purves et al:
macroevolution Evolutionary changes occurring over long time spans and usually involving changes in many traits.
Evolutionary biology texts.

Evolutionary Biology, Third Edition by Futuyma:
macroevolution A vague term for the evolution of great phenotypic changes, usually great enough to allocate the changed lineage and its descendants to a distinct genus or higher taxon.
Evolutionary Analysis, Second Edition by Freeman and Herron:
macroevolution Large evolutionary change, usually in morphology; typically refers to the evolution of differences among populations that would warrant their placement in different genera or higher-level taxa.
Evolution by Ridley:
macroevolution Evolution on the grand scale: the term refers to events above the species level; the origin of a new higher group, such as the vertebrates, would be an example of a macroevolutionary event.
This is my favourite, from Biology, Sixth Edition by Campbell and Reece:
macroevolution: Evolutionary change on a grand scale, encompassing the origin of new taxonomic groups, evolutionary trends, adaptive radiation, and mass extinction.
It's best to think about that as a non-exhaustive list of macroevolutionary phenomena, because this definition should properly include the complete gamut of major phenomena that affect the pattern of evolutionary progression. It's thus a broad, catch-all definition that attempts to pre-emptively cover anything that any biologist might be talking about when they use this term.

So, I'll now list a few things that are often described as macroevolutionary phenomena, that can NOT be properly explained with only microevolution, where microevolution is basically anything that deals with allele frequencies. This is a combination of things listed in Cambell and Reece's biology text, and Mayrs What Evolution Is.

Rates of change: Whenever you hear about the fits and starts in the fossil record, or whenever you hear about Gould and punk eek and so on, you're dealing with a macroevolutionary phenomena that requires the consideration of geology, paleontology and ecology over and above an understanding of microevolutionary allelic shifts.

Speciation: any discussion of speciation is about macroevolution. You can't get to speciation by thinking only about alleles. Allopatric speciation considers geological barriers, and even plate tectonics (i.e. describing why a pattern of species relationships exist between certain continents could involve saying "allopatric speciations occurred in suchandsuch a period when this certain continental division happened"). Furthermore, some evolutionary phenomena like adaptive radiation are inherantly linked to the local geology.

Ecology: investigating the evolution of organisms will inevitably require investigating their ecology: competition, parasitism, just about all ecological phenomena are going to influence the direction of a species' evolution, and none of them are classifyable as microevolutionary.

Extinction: Gould has made the famous point that the investigation of evolutionary history raises questions that can only be answered by an understanding of extinction. The rise of mammals is linked to the mass extinction of the reptiles. Explaining a species evolutionary success can not be done with only microevolutionary explainations. The complex, multidisciplinarian explanations that emerge involve macroevolution, being basically everything that microevolution isn't.

These are just some of the obvious ones. Mayr has a long chapter devoted to these and many many more evolutionary phenomena that he sees as seperate from microevolution. For example, he calls convergent evolution macroevolutionary, because while it does have to to with adaptation and selection and allele frequencies, it also involves niches, geology, and environmental influences.

A picture is emerging that sees macroevolution and microevolution sharing no borders, but desribing totally separated classes of phenomena, making the question 'when does microevolution become macroevolution' meaningless. Naturally, that is not a universal truth in this game, because someone else will come along and define it in a way that does overlap.
The things to take home from this will be that macroevolution CAN refer to genuine scientifically defined phenomena that really require a separate definition from microevolution. However, in the phenomena described above, macroevolution is NOT the standard ‘large scale change’ that debates often accept as ‘the’ definition. Instead, they are observed phenomena, patterns, and interactions that are part and parcel of everyday biology, but come under this blanket term all the time. The term, in this very widely used sense, refers to patterns and processes that emerge when microevolution carries on for some time. It thus makes little sense, under this definition, to say that one accepts microevolution but not macroevolution.

If I may be so bold, I would suggest to those who wish to make the distinction between observed modern day ‘micro’ evolution, but reject things like an old earth, or human descent from apes, that the most meaningful and appropriate distinction would be to say “I accept that evolution can be seen happening today: natural selection operates on allele frequencies, speciation has been observed. However, I do not accept common descent of all life”. The use of such a nebulous term as macroevolution in place of the more precise and accurate ‘common descent’ only promotes confusion.

Of course, as I’ve shown, no universally accepted definition of macroevolution can be pinned down, so making blanket statements is impossible. It’s precisely because of this that more precise terms for exactly what is being accepted or rejected need to be used.

I hope I have not bored anyone too much.
Yours
-Timothy.

perfessor
Scholar

Post #8

Post by perfessor »

Didymus wrote:
I hope I have not bored anyone too much.
Far from it, Timothy. You have shed some much needed light in a debate in which, on various forums, there is often too much shouting and not enough listening.

Before delving into the macro/micro world, I offer this: the Theory of Evolution was not developed for the purpose of disproving the Bible. It was developed in order to provide a comprehensive explanation for observable facts. It bears comparison to the theory of a heliocentric solar system, which ruffled the church 400 years ago. But the advancement of scientific knowledge should not be a threat to anyone's faith - unless they posit a god who lives in a patently absurd world. I could feel sorry for a devout believer in Thor and his daily ride in a golden chariot - he would have to either abandon his faith, or turn his back on science.

But in Christianity, there need not be such a dilemma. There is a middle path, which accepts the following:

1. Evolution has not yet explained "everything". This does not make it false.

2. Evolution makes predictions that have not yet been observed, or at least, observed well. This means only that we do not yet know everything.

3. The "meat" of the Bible is in its descriptions of God's relationship with Her followers. A science textbook, it is not.

4. The wisdom of Jesus' teachings does not depend upon the age of the earth.

As a result, I see no inherent conflict between "macroevolution" (whatever that is), and faith in an eternal principle which may, after all, have created evolution as a way of giving us a functioning world to live in.

perfessor
Scholar

Post #9

Post by perfessor »

I left this out of my previous post:
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Corvus
Guru

Post #10

Post by Corvus »

Didymus wrote:Greetings, all. I discovered this forum through a google advertisement on www.iidb.org, where I am administrator and moderator of our own EvC forum. I happen to be particularly interested in this debate topic, so I hope no-one will mind if I crash in here with a few half-baked thoughts.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to meaningfully debate this topic as stated, because of the truly extreme variation in the definitions of the term macroevolution. Definitions of macroevolution are extremely diverse. I’ve obtained this list of definitions from a poster I know from IIDB, who happens to be a PhD in evolutionary theory:
First one has only to settle on a definition of macro-evolution to debate. In my response I did say that if macroevolution is speciation, speciation is demonstrable.

Welcome to the debate, Dydimus. We are pleased to have another learned voice here.