Masturbation: A sin?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

whatever
Student

Masturbation: A sin?

Post #1

Post by whatever »

I just saw a television discussion about it, what is the Christian believe?

Colter
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Colter »

Sin is to Know the will of God yet choose to do otherwise. O:)

Spongemom
Student

Post #3

Post by Spongemom »

And the will of God is to not have the absolute safest sex possible?
If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution,
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Colter
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Colter »

Spongemom wrote:And the will of God is to not have the absolute safest sex possible?
Well, I sure hope so. ;) My point was that to one who has abandoned self to seeking the will of God (personaly) takes on an inlarged, dynamic and living concept of right and wrong. The morality of any act is determind by the individuals motives. O:)

"Law is life itself and not the rules of its conduct. Evil is a transgression of law, not a violation of the rules of conduct pertaining to life, which is the law. Falsehood is not a matter of narration technique but something premeditated as a perversion of truth. The creation of new pictures out of old facts, the restatement of parental life in the lives of offspring--these are the artistic triumphs of truth. The shadow of a hair's turning, premeditated for an untrue purpose, the slightest twisting or perversion of that which is principle--these constitute falseness. But the fetish of factualized truth, fossilized truth, the iron band of so-called unchanging truth, holds one blindly in a closed circle of cold fact. One can be technically right as to fact and everlastingly wrong in to truth. Urantia Book 1955

loki_silver
Student

Post #5

Post by loki_silver »

I Believe Masturbation is a sin. I'm not saying Christians don't do it. But we would be better off if we didn't.
Jesus said that just looking at a woman and thinking lustful thoughts is the same as committing adultery with her in your heart.

The Hungry Atheist
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by The Hungry Atheist »

loki_silver wrote:...we would be better off if we didn't.
How so?

Edited for probably being too brief to be a useful contribution: I don't see how this particular practise in any way negatively affects our lives. You don't seem to be arguing that it's one of those things which is just bad because God says it is (which brings us back to the old debate about the arbitrariness of sin), but you claim that abstaining from this act is likely to make things better for us. What are you basing this on? What negative factors can result from masturbation?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

loki_silver wrote: But we would be better off if we didn't.
I too would be interested to hear how refraining from masturbation would improve am individual or a society.
loki_silver wrote: Jesus said that just looking at a woman and thinking lustful thoughts is the same as committing adultery with her in your heart.
Is is still a sin if Jesus the Christ was a myth (or is believed by the 'adulterer' to be so)?

Corvus
Guru

Post #8

Post by Corvus »

The Hungry Atheist wrote:
loki_silver wrote:...we would be better off if we didn't.
How so?

Edited for probably being too brief to be a useful contribution: I don't see how this particular practise in any way negatively affects our lives. You don't seem to be arguing that it's one of those things which is just bad because God says it is (which brings us back to the old debate about the arbitrariness of sin), but you claim that abstaining from this act is likely to make things better for us. What are you basing this on? What negative factors can result from masturbation?
I can think of some quite positive factors. Firstly is the benefits to one's health, which include, for men, prevention against prostate cancer, stress relief and the normal effects of light exercise. It also gives one an outlet for suppressed sexual urges, improving one's emotional wellbeing.

All these things can be achieved through sex, but since that isn't as readily available normally, and if one is not married, could technically be called fornication, then masturbation is advisable.

Are there any bible verses specifically against masturbation?
loki_silver wrote:Jesus said that just looking at a woman and thinking lustful thoughts is the same as committing adultery with her in your heart.
Even if either of you are not married? That would be fornication, not adultery.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Piper Plexed »

loki_silver wrote:I Believe Masturbation is a sin. I'm not saying Christians don't do it. But we would be better off if we didn't.
Jesus said that just looking at a woman and thinking lustful thoughts is the same as committing adultery with her in your heart.
Please don't take this as a challenge, I am really curious... please supply some Bible quotes which elude to masturbation being a sin.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

vanillamoon
Student

Post #10

Post by vanillamoon »

But although some self-restraint would be okay if but you don't masturbate, well for guys I don't know about girls they would probably start getting grumpy and probably desperate. Also it might not be a great idea to associate sin with that type of thing because then you'd always feel guilty when you do it and it might be bad to mix guilt with sex too much :dribble: