Lake of fire

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Lake of fire

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

Is it literally a lake of fire? It is figurative? Other?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Lake of fire

Post #31

Post by Difflugia »

onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 amThe word for "tormented" means "jailed."
No it doesn't. The word βασανισθήσονται in Revelation 20:10 means literal torture. Here's a link to a lexicon page for the root verb, βᾰσᾰνίζω.

I'm guessing that you're confusing your apologetic arguments. Where this usually comes up is in reference to Matthew 18:34, where the word βασανισταῖς is found. Though it literally means "torturers," it's often claimed that it has come to mean "jailers" in order to sidestep the appearance of Jesus condoning physical torture.
onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 amSymbolic terms from a symbolic book.
When it suits you, anyway.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #32

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 am
myth-one.com wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am
The Devil is cast into the lake of fire, meaning he will be dead forever, not sitting around in flames being bored.
The correct word is "tormented" not dead. The Devil is tormented day and night forever, not dead day and night forever:

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10)

The dead cannot be tormented.
The word for "tormented" means "jailed." When one is jailed they cannot function. They cannot do anything anymore. That is what death does to a person. They aren't functioning anymore.

Symbolic terms from a symbolic book.
You are correct about death. According to the scriptures, the dead know not any thing:

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

And since the dead know not any thing, the dead cannot know any torment, as torment is a thing.

And when one is "jailed" they can do many things, and they can absolutely function!!

So torment and jail are absolutely nothing like death.

Revelation 20:10 states that the devil will be tormented forever, not know nothing forever!

Are you doing that "symbolic" bit again?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #33

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:17 am
myth-one.com wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am
The Devil is cast into the lake of fire, meaning he will be dead forever, not sitting around in flames being bored.
The correct word is "tormented" not dead. The Devil is tormented day and night forever, not dead day and night forever:

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10)

The dead cannot be tormented.
The word for "tormented" means "jailed." When one is jailed they cannot function. They cannot do anything anymore. That is what death does to a person. They aren't functioning anymore.

Symbolic terms from a symbolic book.
You are correct about death. According to the scriptures, the dead know not any thing:

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

And since the dead know not any thing, the dead cannot know any torment, as torment is a thing.

And when one is "jailed" they can do many things, and they can absolutely function!!
Not like they used to, in their hate and mostly unrestrained evil. They cannot do what they always wanted to do. Because they are dead.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #34

Post by myth-one.com »

Speaking of the dead, onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 pm

They cannot do what they always wanted to do. Because they are dead.

No, the dead can't do anything, because they are dead!

The dead know not anything... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #35

Post by Stewardofthemystery »

achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

I would say it is figurative, as God often “likens” spiritual things using things seen in nature and in the natural world. It is written that God spoke by the prophets using similitudes, Jesus taught the same way.

In scripture God’s anger and wrath is “likened” to a fire that shall never be quenched. This could explain what the “everlasting fire” is mentioned by Jesus.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #36

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:59 pm
Speaking of the dead, onewithhim wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 pm

They cannot do what they always wanted to do. Because they are dead.

No, the dead can't do anything, because they are dead!

The dead know not anything... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)
That is exactly what I have been saying!

Capbook
Student

Post #37

Post by Capbook »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:05 am
achilles12604 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm Question for everyone. The lake of fire referred to by the traditional Christian/ Catholic/ Fundi churches.

I would say it is figurative, as God often “likens” spiritual things using things seen in nature and in the natural world. It is written that God spoke by the prophets using similitudes, Jesus taught the same way.

In scripture God’s anger and wrath is “likened” to a fire that shall never be quenched. This could explain what the “everlasting fire” is mentioned by Jesus.

I believe it is literal fire specially in verse 9, fire came down from heaven that devoured them.
I chose EDNT fire definition in number 5 and 6.
Please find below;

Rev 20:9-10
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
KJV

NT:4442
fire
1. Occurrences in the NT —
2. Meaning —
3. Fire as a part of daily life —
4. Fire as a symbol or in comparisons —
5. Heavenly fire — a) Fire in the heavenly realm — b) Fire coming from the heavenly realm to earth —
6. The fire of hell
(from Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament © 1990 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. All rights reserved.)

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #38

Capbook wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:17 am
Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:05 am

I believe it is literal fire specially in verse 9, fire came down from heaven that devoured them.
I chose EDNT fire definition in number 5 and 6.
Please find below;

Rev 20:9-10
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
KJV

NT:4442
fire
1. Occurrences in the NT —
2. Meaning —
3. Fire as a part of daily life —
4. Fire as a symbol or in comparisons —
5. Heavenly fire — a) Fire in the heavenly realm — b) Fire coming from the heavenly realm to earth —
6. The fire of hell
(from Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament © 1990 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. All rights reserved.)
If the fire was literal, how can someone be tormented day and night forever and ever without getting burned up?

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #39

Post by myth-one.com »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:07 am
If the fire was literal, how can someone be tormented day and night forever and ever without getting burned up?

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
There are two type of bodies -- natural and spiritual.

Fire only affects natural or physical bodies.

The devil is a spiritual bodied being and cannot be hurt or killed by the fire.

It is simply his prison.

Humans who are cast into the lake of fire very quickly perish.

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #40

myth-one.com wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:47 am
Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:07 am

There are two type of bodies -- natural and spiritual.

Fire only affects natural or physical bodies.

The devil is a spiritual bodied being and cannot be hurt or killed by the fire.

It is simply his prison.

Humans who are cast into the lake of fire very quickly perish.
It is the souls of men who are cast into the everlasting fire. And yes, if it were physical bodies that were cast into a literal fire they would die instantly and turn to ash.

But we are told they are tormented forever and ever in this everlasting punishment.

So this to me proves the fire is symbolic.

Matthew 25:41-46
King James Version
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.”

If they are being punished and tormented forever and ever by the everlasting fire, then they are still conscious of the punishment.

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Revelation 20:10