Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin”?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin”?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin” or MUST it be afterward? Why?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

twobitsmedia

Re: Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin”?

Post #2

Post by twobitsmedia »

Zzyzx wrote:Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin” or MUST it be afterward? Why?
Ask who for forgiveness? God? The person you are going to sin against? The person next door? a Priest? Someone random on the street?

BlindDidymus
Student

Post #3

Post by BlindDidymus »

In The Orthodox Church one must repent of one's sins. One can not repent before sinning or else one would not sin in the first place. Hence, one is to repent and ask for absolution from a priest after sinning; or better yet, avoid sinning altogether. If you can do this then please pray for me who am a sinner.

katiej49

Post #4

Post by katiej49 »

Zzyzx wrote:Can one “ask for forgiveness” in advance of a “sin” or MUST it be afterward? Why?

well that would be like saying "since you forgive me i will go sin it up"...not exactly what He had in mind..............a heart changed by the grace of jesus feels somewhat miserable when they step into sin knowing they are hurting their FAther......i should know! and they are sorry afterwards...sin, for the Christian, never feels good after its over....

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

This is not a difficult question.

Can you ask for pardon for a crime you are about to commit? No, you cannot. If pardon is going to be granted, it will be after the fact, and after you have acknowledged that you should not have done the wrong act.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ST88 »

No. You can't ask for forgiveness beforehand. But you can have the knowledge beforehand that you will be forgiven afterward, which may be just as good.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Thank you McCullouch and ST88, you have provided valuable insight.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Greatest I Am »

If you believe that Jesus died for the forgiveness of sin then you know that you need not ask. It is already done.

The punishment then becomes your responsibility.

Regards
DL

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #9

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Zzyzx in post #1]
I believe in the Catholic sect at last it can be done.

Theoretically it should be not a problem for a priest to at the very least PROMISE AND GUARANTEE toward a person willing to sin, that he will forgive his sin afterwards.

This is done in "Pillars of the Earth".
Bishop Valeran gives the promise to evil William after while they together plan for William to commit some murders.

This is fiction of course and from a bad author too, but it sounds very realistic. For the middle ages no less. I bet such a thing did happen more than once in real life too.

Also in the middle ages the LETTER OF INDULGENCE was a big sell.
Now there goes a story that comes in several variations, but the essence is this;

A Knight comes to a travelling vaticanic seller of Indulgence Lezters.
"Can you sell me a Letter of Indulgence for a sin I plan to commit in the future, my father?"

The pious seller; "Hmmm, I think it can be done. Bit this will cost you a lot more than a normal LOI."

"OK" says the knight. Pays and walks away with his Letter.

When the pious man and his guards leave town, in the woods they are ambushed and and robbed by some bandits and their masked leader.

Bandits take all the money brought in from selling all the LOIs .
Pious seller curses: "You will burn in hell forever for this sin! Robbing a man of god you do!"

Leader laughs and takes off his mask. Its the Knight of course : "Oh no my father. I wont burn. Heres the Letter of Indulgence with your own signature." 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"