Christ is the Word, and the Word was God’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Christ is the Word, and the Word was God’s

Post #1

Post by Stewardofthemystery »

Let me show you how in John 1:1 the word God G2316 can also be translated as God’s G2316

Jhn 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, G2316 and the Word was God. G2316

Now notice in 1Co 3:23 that the Word (Christ) is shown as being God’s G2316

1Co 3:23 - And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's. G2316

So G2316 can be translated as God or God’s.

Either way would be correct because the Word or Christ is shown in scripture as God, as is shown below…

Psalm 45:7
Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

And Christ is also shown as the true God here…

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

So G2316 can be translated as God or as God’s, as the Word was in fact God’s.

Peace and God bless

historia
Prodigy

Re: Christ is the Word, and the Word was God’s

Post #2

Post by historia »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am
Sure, but whether the Greek word theos (Strong's G2316) is rendered as "God" (nominative) or "God's" (genitive) depends on which case it is expressed in the Greek.

In 1 Cor. 2:23, it is expressed in the genitive, as theou, thus showing possession. That's why English translations render it there as "God's." In John 1:1, it is expressed in the nominative, theos, and so is rendered as "God" (or "Divine").
Let me show you how in John 1:1 the word God G2316 can also be translated as God’s G2316
Since theos is not in the genitive in this verse, it can't be rendered as "God's."

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #3

historia wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:14 pm
Sure, but whether the Greek word theos (Strong's G2316) is rendered as "God" (nominative) or "God's" (genitive) depends on which case it is expressed in the Greek.

In 1 Cor. 2:23, it is expressed in the genitive, as theou, thus showing possession. That's why English translations render it there as "God's." In John 1:1, it is expressed in the nominative, theos, and so is rendered as "God" (or "Divine").
Since theos is not in the genitive in this verse, it can't be rendered as "God's."
Right, I see what you are saying on why it is translated that way. But whose Word is it? It is still God’s Word.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am Let me show you how in John 1:1 the word God G2316 can also be translated as God’s G2316

Jhn 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, G2316 and the Word was God. G2316

Now notice in 1Co 3:23 that the Word (Christ) is shown as being God’s G2316

1Co 3:23 - And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's. G2316

Either way would be correct because the Word or Christ is shown in scripture as God, as is shown below…

Psalm 45:7
Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
Christ is shown in this scripture NOT as God, but a person who HAS a God. Addressed to Christ---"thy God." He has a God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am Christ is also shown as the true God here…

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Peace and God bless
At I John 5:20 when it says "the true God," it is referring to the Father, not Jesus.

Jesus himself said that the Father was the only true God. He didn't include himself in that. In prayer to his Father Jesus said: "This is eternal life, that they may know 'YOU the only true God,' and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (John 17:3, NASB)

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #6

onewithhim wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:29 pm
Stewardofthemystery wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am Christ is also shown as the true God here…

Peace and God bless
At I John 5:20 when it says "the true God," it is referring to the Father, not Jesus.

Jesus himself said that the Father was the only true God. He didn't include himself in that. In prayer to his Father Jesus said: "This is eternal life, that they may know 'YOU the only true God,' and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (John 17:3, NASB)
I disagree. I John 5:20 is clearly talking about the Son of God Jesus Christ.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #7

Post by onewithhim »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:33 am

Peace and God bless

Referring to God, the Father of Jesus. This too must harmonize with other Scripture. Your view doesn't. Jesus himself said that the Father is "the only true God." (John 17:3)

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #8

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:19 am

Peace and God bless

Referring to God, the Father of Jesus. This too must harmonize with other Scripture. Your view doesn't. Jesus himself said that the Father is "the only true God." (John 17:3)
There is no mention of God the Father in that verse.

Here it is again…

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

Stewardofthemystery wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:25 am

Peace and God bless

Here it is again…

"God" is the Father, YHWH. There is mention of Him throughout the verse. "HIS Son, Jesus Christ." Who is the pronoun "his" referring to? God, the Father. He is "the only true God" according to the Son. (John 17:3)

Stewardofthemystery
Student

Post #10

onewithhim wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 am
Stewardofthemystery wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:25 am

Peace and God bless

Here it is again…

"God" is the Father, YHWH. There is mention of Him throughout the verse. "HIS Son, Jesus Christ." Who is the pronoun "his" referring to? God, the Father. He is "the only true God" according to the Son. (John 17:3)
1 Corinthians 8:6
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.