Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Trinity Doctrine Always Taught - Never Discovered by Only Reading the Bible

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

I came across a very interesting read.
https://www.trinityexamined.com/why-no- ... initarian/

It is a VERY long explanation as to why one person abandoned the trinity doctrine. There is one particular sentence that really stood out.

"No one today became a Trinitarian from reading the Bible alone. The doctrine of the Trinity is “learned theology.” So if you are a Trinitarian, just like myself, you didn’t learn this doctrine from the Bible."

Is there anyone out there who by just reading the Bible alone and no outside influence teaching them the trinity, became a trinitarian? Please post on this thread if you have. I'd like to know how you came to conclusion that God is a triune God. If you were taught the trinity and didn't come by it on your own, then I'm not looking for a discussion with you.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Trinity Doctrine Always Taught - Never Discovered by Only Reading the Bible

Post #11

Post by 2timothy316 »

I can't see the last reply because that poster is blocked from my view and can't see what they post. I don't need to see what they said. None the less, they are an influencer for the trinity not what the OP is looking for. Certainly it is more smoke to detract from what the OP is looking for as they offer more excuses.

Until someone comes forth as a person that has read the Bible with no outside influence, and that person thinks there is a trinity, the OP is true.

Any person that has been TAUGHT the trinity shouldn't be replying to this thread. Their comments will be ignored. I consider the more a person tries to influence the trinity the more desperate that person is.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #12

Post by onewithhim »

SiNcE_1985 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:56 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:40 pm At least with 144,000 that IS in the Bible and some might want to know what that means.
Well, it seems clear as to what the 144k is referring to in the Bible...dont know what would cause one to go beyond what it clearly states...but hey, false doctrine must come from somewhere.
The word trinity has how many mentions in Bible? Zero.
Yeah, and the word "grandfather" has how many mentions in the Bible? Zero.

Therefore, Abraham cannot be said to have been the grandfather of Jacob...because after all, the word "grandfather" is not mentioned in the Bible.

Foolishness.

Obviously, it isn't about the word, it is about the concept.

And while the word "Trinity" is not mentioned in the Bible, the concept certainly is.

I also don't recall "The Watchtower and Tract Society" being mentioned in the Bible.

So let's throw that away as well.
Someone must come along and influence them. That means the trinity isn't Bible based.
Negative. In Phiny the Younger's account to the emperor (on how to deal with those pesky Christians), he stated that Christians sang hymns to Christ as if to a god.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_t ... Christians

And this is coming from a pagan.

Sounds Christ was already looked at as a god..and since Christians are monotheistic....GOD.

And this is before the Bible was created.

Early Trinitarian stuff here.
It's an outside influence. A group made it up and then went to look for text to support it 1700 years ago. NOT the other way around. No one reads about the trinity and then goes seeking someone to explain it. If anything trinitarians miss this point and have no defense against it.
It doesn't matter who "made it up" or who "discovered it", or who "influenced it".

All that matters is; is it Biblical.

Trinitarians say yes.
Take note, that only those TAUGHT the trinity are replying to this thread and none who have read the Bible alone have come forth to tell us how they came to the conclusion there is a trinity. Until someone does, the point stands. The trinity is ALWAYS taught and never discovered by only reading the Bible. No one seeks out what the trinity means by reading the Bible only. Those that influence the trinity are still trying to influence even when the thread is not about them.
That would be a fine point if it weren't for the fact that JWs are not only taught what to believe in the scriptures, but they are also discouraged (and in some cases, forbidden) from independent thinking outside of The Watchtower and Tract Society.
That is absolutely not true. We are never discouraged from thinking outside of the Watchtower Society. They themselves read just about everything that comes along and thus, so do Christian Witnesses of Jehovah. There is much in history that we can learn, and we are not discouraged. The word "Forbidden" doesn't apply at all.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 am
That is absolutely not true. We are never discouraged from thinking outside of the Watchtower Society. They themselves read just about everything that comes along and thus, so do Christian Witnesses of Jehovah. There is much in history that we can learn, and we are not discouraged. The word "Forbidden" doesn't apply at all.
See how they keep trying to change the subject. They don't want to talk about that they still can't produce a person that learned the trinity on their own. Or even produce a person that has read the Bible with no outside influence and went seeking answers about a trinity.

SiNcE_1985
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by SiNcE_1985 »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:53 am That is absolutely not true. We are never discouraged from thinking outside of the Watchtower Society.
Watchtower publications says otherwise, OWH.

Please don't tempt me to post quotes and provide references of those publications.
They themselves read just about everything that comes along and thus, so do Christian Witnesses of Jehovah. There is much in history that we can learn, and we are not discouraged. The word "Forbidden" doesn't apply at all.
Well, maybe forbidden is too strong of a word...but let's just say it is next door to discouraged, but in the same zip code as forbidden.
You got two choices, man; swallow blood, or swallow pride.