Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

The Main Problem With Atheists!

Post #1

Post by POI »

Taken from post 19 of this thread - (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41593&start=10):

(i.e.) "I think the main problem many/most atheists have re this is that they tend to carry around the baggage of belief". --- I think what he means here is that atheists are now jaded, sinical, and/or such atheist minds are now closed in entertaining any possibility to the 'supernatural/divine/etc'..

I feel this point is necessary to bring up here and now because this particular interlocutor has brought this topic up more than once, and I feel we need to now focus upon it... Why? If most atheists have such "baggage", are atheists then unable to discern actual truth/reality? I'd instead say ALL reside within an "a posteriori" position, (or) the knowledge we obtain through prior experience(s). Hence, don't we ALL carry around "baggage"? Meaning, aren't we all clouded by our preconceived conclusions, based upon our experiences? If so, then I guess the next question(s) would be for debate:

1) Since we all carry (a postiori) 'baggage', is it still possible to discern a truth claim? I'd say yes.
2) If we all carry around 'baggage', then why bring it up?
3) Regardless of one's "baggage", couldn't God change one's mind regardless? I'm thinking of the story about "Saul of Tarsus", just for starters.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: The Main Problem With Atheists!

Post #21

Post by POI »

William wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:06 pm
POI wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:48 pm [Replying to William in post #16]

I also explained to Transponder in post 12. At this point, you are beating a dead horse. You do not have to engage the topic. It's up to you. It does not matter if you are an ex-Christian, an ex-Scientologist, an ex-wife, an ex-lover, or other. We all carry "baggage". Are these folks still able to make rationale and logical conclusions outside of their experienced baggage, yes or no?
Then I ask you now, edit your opening post and remove the out of context quote taken from what I wrote in the other thread as it is unrelated to this particular topic.

I am asking because it gives the reader false/misinformation on what my actual position is on atheism/atheists. I don't want to have to any waste time continuing to post in this thread defending my actual position on atheism/all atheists against said misinformation.

Thanks.
Your position is that some atheists carry baggage. I say we all carry baggage. Can we put aside any/all baggage to assess a claim? Maybe some can, and some cannot.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: The Main Problem With Atheists!

Post #22

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Put asid is right.Rationists (the best kind of atheist, but maybe not all) mput aside the baggage and employ evidence and reason, because the truth matters.

Theist baggage, on the other hand embraces and values bias over evidence and reason.

Thus the 'baggage' argument is equivocation -fallacy. Atheist baggage doesn't matter, Theist baggage is ALL that matters.