Rest in Pieces

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

Rest in Pieces

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Rest in Pieces

Post #11

Post by Difflugia »

benchwarmer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:31 amWhy some theists continue to hang their hat on misunderstood science is beyond me.
Because without magic, the gods might not exist. Modern theists know there's no magic in the parts of the universe that they understand, so it must be in the parts that they don't.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #12

Post by Mae von H »

benchwarmer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:31 am
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 am [Replying to benchwarmer in post #2]

Evolution is pivotal to the atheist position and Dawkins himself, a famous scientist, said plainly that evolution gave him a reason to stop believing in God. It is those who reject God who say they need evolution, not the Christians.
Wow, more wrong claims. When will they stop?
You want the quote from Dawkins? That’s what he said.
Evolutions has absolutely zero to do with my position as an atheist. I was at one point a devout Christian who also understood what the scientific theory of evolution was all about and had no issues with it.

Many an atheist has said the same. It’s no wonder you stopped believing. I’ve heard this description of the path to rejecting the faith. Then there’s the atheists who became believers when they really studied real biology.
At the time, science discovering how God may have done things was not a stumbling block.
I seriously doubt any published paper in a scientific journal says they’ve discovered how God may have done it.
I became an atheist due to research in the Bible, the church, and theism in general.
We’ve already covered this.
Why some theists continue to hang their hat on misunderstood science is beyond me. It's not helping your cause whatsoever. When claims are shown to be untrue, it's not helping your position or converting anyone. If anything, it's likely driving people the other direction. So, I guess good job, keep it up! :)
They don’t misunderstand it. They go where the evidence leads. But you just attack the person, not the argument. Sigh!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #13

Post by benchwarmer »

Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:31 am
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 am [Replying to benchwarmer in post #2]

Evolution is pivotal to the atheist position and Dawkins himself, a famous scientist, said plainly that evolution gave him a reason to stop believing in God. It is those who reject God who say they need evolution, not the Christians.
Wow, more wrong claims. When will they stop?
You want the quote from Dawkins? That’s what he said.
I was talking about me. You made a sweeping generalization about atheists based on a single one.
Evolutions has absolutely zero to do with my position as an atheist. I was at one point a devout Christian who also understood what the scientific theory of evolution was all about and had no issues with it.

Many an atheist has said the same. It’s no wonder you stopped believing. I’ve heard this description of the path to rejecting the faith. Then there’s the atheists who became believers when they really studied real biology.
I have no clue what you are on about now.

I explained why I stopped believing and it had nothing to do with any scientific theories.

I find it hilarious that now you are talking about 'real' biology while at the same time disregarding one of the most well studied and well evidenced theories in biology. Surely you can't think this is convincing readers to your side can you? Like I said, keep digging the hole with bogus, unevidenced claims.
At the time, science discovering how God may have done things was not a stumbling block.
I seriously doubt any published paper in a scientific journal says they’ve discovered how God may have done it.
Ok, I don't want to sound insulting, but you really seem to have a reading comprehension issue. It's like you are seeing red and not actually reading what I wrote, but what you instead want to attack.

Where did I say anything about published papers mentioning God?

When I was a Christian I believed God was the author of everything. Science was merely a tool for possibly discovering information about His creation. That's it. If we as a human species discover that living organisms evolve (which we now know that they do, scientists have proven this in the lab with living bacteria plus all the other evidence that came before those experiments) then it must have just been part of the grand plan. That's how I saw it then.

Now you come along and say evolution is pivotal to our atheist position. Once again, you are wrong, that's just a fact. If it helps you sleep better at night believing that lie, then have at it. You do your fellow Christians a disservice by making these false claims.
I became an atheist due to research in the Bible, the church, and theism in general.
We’ve already covered this.
Yes we have, but apparently you just ignored it and pretended evolution had anything to do with it. Classic strawman. What's next, gaslighting me?
Why some theists continue to hang their hat on misunderstood science is beyond me. It's not helping your cause whatsoever. When claims are shown to be untrue, it's not helping your position or converting anyone. If anything, it's likely driving people the other direction. So, I guess good job, keep it up! :)
They don’t misunderstand it. They go where the evidence leads. But you just attack the person, not the argument. Sigh!
I've posted links to papers, articles, and even scripture to back my claims while attacking your ideas and claims. I'm sorry if others refuting your claims with evidence feels like a personal attack, but it's not.

I will admit that now it's starting to get personal. You are repeatedly misrepresenting what I say in a vain attempt to make some point. I'll just keep refuting your bad claims with evidence. Readers can make of it what they will.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Difflugia »

Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pmThen there’s the atheists who became believers when they really studied real biology.
In the US, 4% of the general public is atheist, but among biologists, that's 41%. I suspect that number would actually be higher, but Pew lumps the medical field in with biologists.
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pmThey don’t misunderstand it. They go where the evidence leads.
Unlike 41% of the biologists, I guess.
benchwarmer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:30 pmReaders can make of it what they will.
I can make a brooch, or a pterodactyl...
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #15

Post by benchwarmer »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:47 pm I can make a brooch, or a pterodactyl...
How about a pterodactyl brooch! Though it is already available it seems:
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/2390182 ... gJOn_D_BwE

Mae von H
Sage

Post #16

Post by Mae von H »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:47 pm
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pmThen there’s the atheists who became believers when they really studied real biology.
In the US, 4% of the general public is atheist, but among biologists, that's 41%. I suspect that number would actually be higher, but Pew lumps the medical field in with biologists.
Mae von H wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:17 pmThey don’t misunderstand it. They go where the evidence leads.
Unlike 41% of the biologists, I guess.
The field of biology is governed by those who believe in evolution full stop. If you don’t publish, you perish. If you don’t promote evolution, you don’t publish. So honesty is not a virtue that is easily found. Conformity is demanded. The Intelligent Design side are able to follow where the science leads. The evolutionists follow where the scientists lead.

I’ve read papers that didn’t address origins at all and what one believed as to how complex life forms became such played no role at all. Nevertheless they had to mention evolution or they’d never make it. It’s like reading political developments in the US and the writers constantly referred to Lincoln.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

Moderator Clarification

This is a discussion sub-forum. Please take the debate to one of our debate sub-forums.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.