How do you know you have Sensus divinitatis?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

How do you know you have Sensus divinitatis?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Calvin proposed the idea: that like sight, he had a sense that was used to feel God.

Of course, there is no God, so it can better be explained that Calvin had a feeling of something, thought he was super special, and he wanted to murder people so he pretended there was a God and used his religion to murder Servitus.

The issue for debate: why do people think that if they feel like Dracula is in the room with them, Then it's true that Dracula is in the room, and if you don't believe it, Dracula fans will kill you?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Re: How do you know you have Sensus divinitatis?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm ...Of course, there is no God...
How could I answer to your question, if you can't prove first that claim to be true?
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm The issue for debate: why do people think that if they feel like Dracula is in the room with them, Then it's true that Dracula is in the room, and if you don't believe it, Dracula fans will kill you?
Sorry, I can't handle that before the big elephant in the room is handled. :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:31 am
How could I answer to your question, if you can't prove first that claim to be true?
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm The issue for debate: why do people think that if they feel like Dracula is in the room with them, Then it's true that Dracula is in the room, and if you don't believe it, Dracula fans will kill you?
Isn't that the elephant in the room? Why should anyone feel that Dracula is in the room with them is the same as why do they think Dracula is real?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by boatsnguitars »

I'm sorry you can't figure that out. It seems I've stumped you right away. That's quite the admission on your part.
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm
The issue for debate: why do people think that if they feel like Dracula is in the room with them, Then it's true that Dracula is in the room, and if you don't believe it, Dracula fans will kill you?
See TRANSPONDER's response above.

I fully expect Theists to run from this. I'll give you credit for recognizing the minefield you'd step in, so you create a cowardly red herring...
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:59 am
I'm sorry you can't figure that out. It seems I've stumped you right away. That's quite the admission on your part.

I fully expect Theists to run from this. I'll give you credit for recognizing the minefield you'd step in, so you create a cowardly red herring...
I had a look at that chat between Ricky Gervaise and Dawkins and Gervaise put it this way: 'I no more worry about a Christians telling me I'm
going to hell than parents being told by their kids if they don't act nice Santa won't bring them any presents.

If one doesn't believe in threats, then threats they are not - unless they are convincingly validated as real. And that is not the elephant in the room (that Nobody is talking About , it is the main subject of convdrsation.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:18 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:59 am

I had a look at that chat between Ricky Gervaise and Dawkins and Gervaise put it this way: 'I no more worry about a Christians telling me I'm
going to hell than parents being told by their kids if they don't act nice Santa won't bring them any presents.

If one doesn't believe in threats, then threats they are not - unless they are convincingly validated as real. And that is not the elephant in the room (that Nobody is talking About , it is the main subject of convdrsation.
Yep. Notice they won't address the real issue. The one that makes their beliefs specious and absurd.

To redirect: Sleep paralysis is a real phenomenon. Many people who experience often get the image of a dark, sinister character. My latest SP event made me believe Dracula (the Christopher Lee version) was in my room but could disappear when I opened my eyes - but when I closed them, I "felt" him standing over me.

For all intents and purposes, and to an ancient person, this seemed real: That I sensed Dracula.

I don't think anyone believes Dracula is real. But it appears Theists would claim this "sense" that I had is legitimate and is critical evidence that proves Dracula is real.

Further, Theists seem to believe this "sense" so deeply they will build institutions solely for the rape and killing of children, and bake sales.

But, I'd like Theists to explain the "divine sense" - how do they know it's not indigestion, sleep paralysis, or some other malady rather than God, the Creator of the Universe struggling to say something to them?
― Omar Khayyâm

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #6]

I've had sleep paralysis myself. I thought it was just a psychosomatic excuse not to get up, but for a while i could not move when I woke up. I didn't freak out about house elves ET greys or invisible monsters crouching on my legs, because I am a rationalist skeptic and am not hagridden by superstitions. I waited until It wore off as it did in a minute or two.

I'm having to did deep about the silvery saucer hovering outside my window and triangular grey faces rapping on the pane and holding up a sign saying "OPEN UP" as I'm perfectly sure there is a perfectly rational explanation.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by boatsnguitars »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:49 am [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #6]

I've had sleep paralysis myself. I thought it was just a psychosomatic excuse not to get up, but for a while i could not move when I woke up. I didn't freak out about house elves ET greys or invisible monsters crouching on my legs, because I am a rationalist skeptic and am not hagridden by superstitions. I waited until It wore off as it did in a minute or two.

I'm having to did deep about the silvery saucer hovering outside my window and triangular grey faces rapping on the pane and holding up a sign saying "OPEN UP" as I'm perfectly sure there is a perfectly rational explanation.
When I had it, about 5 years ago, I really did feel it was Dracula. It was about 2-3 AM, and I knew it was SP, but I was also half in a dream state, so while I wasn't worried, I'd close my eyes (and the thought went into my head "he's standing right over me," I knew it wasn't true, so I'd open my eyes and - of course Dracula wasn't there, but the feeling was there when I'd close my eyes again. All the time, rationally, I knew it wasn't real, but the 'lizard brain' was making other plans.

The reason, which I'm sure you know, is that the body is full of hormones to put it into a kind of 'coma' in order to sleep, however, at times, the brain kicks in a survival mechanism. It says, "Hey, I should be asleep! The only reason I must be awake is there is a threat! Quick what's the threat, Brian! Dracula! Must be, 'cause Eyes can't see him!"
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1
Of course, there is no God

Bare Assertion Fallacy:

When a premise is introduced as a conclusion without substantiation.
https://logfall.wordpress.com/bare-assertion-fallacy/

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:16 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1
Of course, there is no God

Bare Assertion Fallacy:

When a premise is introduced as a conclusion without substantiation.
https://logfall.wordpress.com/bare-assertion-fallacy/
Nah. Because your objections fails to take into consideration the materialist default which makes an explanation that is not a god or other supernatural cause
the logical default until the claim of a divine or supernatural cause is validated. So while 'no God' is untenable as gnostic claim it is perfectly valid - indeed logically mandated - by agnosticism and the burden of proof.

ori