HOW DO THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

HOW DO THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

The majority of people have been taught to take the Bible at face value, yet when they come across difficult to understand passages, they make up the rules of Bible study as they go. All the while ignoring that Jesus (The Word of God) did not speak without parables (Mt 13:34). Well, a passage that challenges the literal doctrinal approach is Matthew 8:22.

Matthew 8:21–22 (KJV 1900)
And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

How does someone who is dead bury someone who is dead? Well, when we understand that the Bible is a parable and that God speaks of two types of dead people (the physically dead and the spiritually dead), then we can understand two important things with this passage. One, is that God makes a distinction between the two types of dead people, those who are dead spiritually (meaning they have a dead soul) and those who are dead physically.

The second, is that God doesn't always spell things out for us in the immediate verse, but requires us us to search and compare scripture with scripture in order to put the pieces of the puzzle together in order to see the whole picture. But my question for those who only see the Bible as a literal textbook, how do the dead bury the dead?

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Re: HOW DO THE DEAD BURY THE DEAD?

Post #2

Post by Eddie Ramos »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #1]

I would like to repost this thread. As of late, I have noticed much emphasis on the immortal soul of mankind which is contrary to the teachings of the Bible that teaches that mankind's soul is dead because of sin. And our initial salvation was the resurrection of that dead soul unto life eternal. If everyone already has an immortal soul, then by definition, they already have eternal life. And that contradicts the Bible. And as a way to demonstrate this, I started this thread last year which got many views but zero replies. But the question is straighforward and if you believe that Jesus spoke plainly, then this verse presents a huge problem for you, doesn't it? This may be the reason no one has replied. Also, if you believe that the soul of man is immortal, then this verse also presents a problem as you try to figure out how this harmonizes with your doctrine of the immortal soul. But it doesn't harmonize with that doctrine, rather, it contradicts it (as well as many other passagges).

And when we can see that the soul of man indeed is dead because of sin, then this verse about letting the dead burry their dead fits perfectly with the Bible as one cohesive truth as it declares that the soul of unsaved man can die and is indeed dead because of sin. BUt here is one more for your consideeration that must also be harmonized into your doctrine:

1 Timothy 5:5–6 (KJV 1900)
Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day. 6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

How can someone be dead while they're living? The same way the (spiritually) dead can burry their (physically) dead.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by EBA »

Christ is saying let the spiritually dead bury the dead.

I believe both our bodies and our souls die, just as Jesus' did.

Else what need for the resurrection?

God Bless.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:33 pm ...
Matthew 8:21–22 (KJV 1900)
And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

.....God makes a distinction between the two types of dead people, those who are dead spiritually (meaning they have a dead soul) and those who are dead physically. ... But my question for those who only see the Bible as a literal textbook, how do the dead bury the dead?
Bible has many parables. But, as you also point out, person can be spiritually dead, and then it is not a parable.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by EBA »

1213 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:50 pm
Bible has many parables. But, as you also point out, person can be spiritually dead, and then it is not a parable.
I believe that is exactly what makes it a parable; that they are spiritually dead.

The spirit and the soul are not the same thing.

God bless

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Eddie Ramos »

EBA wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:27 pm
I believe that is exactly what makes it a parable; that they are spiritually dead.

God bless
Correct. The Spirit is the breath of man, the soul is the part that dies due to sin. The resurrection of the soul, during the day of salvation, is what was born again unto life eternal. What makes this and everything that Christ spoke a parable, is that the people who were listening to him at the time and even those who read his words now, take his words at face value when they feel they can understand what Christ is saying. Yet the Bible shows us time and time again how foolish that is.

John 3:3–4 (KJV 1900)
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?

Matthew 16:6–8 (KJV 1900)
Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. 7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread. 8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

John 8:51–52 (KJV 1900)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

I mean, why wouldn't they, at that time, take his words at face value, he was speaking right to them, right? And he didn't specify each time that he was about to say was a parable, right? Yet we, the readers, have the advantage of knowing that without a parable, he did not speak. And sadly, that still goes ignored by the readers of today.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

EBA wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 3:27 pm

I agree that they are not the same, but spirit is not a parable in the Bible, it is something real. If you think spirit is a parable, please explain what it is a parable for?

EBA
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by EBA »

I agree that they are not the same, but spirit is not a parable in the Bible, it is something real. If you think spirit is a parable, please explain what it is a parable for?
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here, but I will say that parables certainly do represent real things. They are not literally true but represent something that certainly is true.

Peace.

EBA
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by EBA »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:08 pm I mean, why wouldn't they, at that time, take his words at face value, he was speaking right to them, right? And he didn't specify each time that he was about to say was a parable, right? Yet we, the readers, have the advantage of knowing that without a parable, he did not speak. And sadly, that still goes ignored by the readers of today.
Yeah I would say that they were confused. And yes Jesus spoke only in parables to the masses and most of the time to his disciples as well. It's hard to find a whole lot that he said that wasn't either a parable or metaphor etc. He did not speak plainly, but you are correct when you say that many many Christians believe he did and that they think they have complete understanding of what he said. Well we know what we need in order to understand:

For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them. (Matthew 13:15)

- So that I should heal them. (John 12:40)

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

EBA wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:47 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying here, but I will say that parables certainly do represent real things. They are not literally true but represent something that certainly is true.
Ok, so, do you mean that spirit is a parable? If yes, what does it represent?