Do Christians Believe That Animals Used to Talk

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skeptical
Apprentice

Do Christians Believe That Animals Used to Talk

Post #1

Post by Skeptical »

Doing some research for The Logic of Satan's Temptation to Eve thread, I came across this article:

https://www.gotquestions.org/talking-snake.html

which says:
Still, why didn’t Adam and Eve find it strange that an animal was speaking to them? It is unlikely that Adam and Eve had the same perspective we do on animals. In our era, we know from experience that animals are incapable of speech on the same level as humans. Adam and Eve did not have a childhood, nor did they have other humans to learn from. Given that Adam and Eve had probably only been alive a matter of days, it is not unreasonable for them to believe that animals were capable of speech. It is also possible that this was not the first talking animal Adam and Eve had encountered. Perhaps Satan or even God Himself had used animals to communicate with Adam and Eve before. There are so few details given in the account that much is left to speculation and presumption.

Huh? 🤔

Therefore, I would like to know if there are any other Christians besides the one's from Got Questions who think that it's a possibility that animals used to talk a long time ago back in the Garden of Eden.

Savant

Re: Do Christians Believe That Animals Used to Talk

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:23 pm ....
Therefore, I would like to know if there are any other Christians besides the one's from Got Questions who think that it's a possibility that animals used to talk a long time ago back in the Garden of Eden.
I think animals talk also nowadays. For example I heard bird singing this morning. But, obviously the don't talk human. Maybe Adam and Eve understood animal voices better than modern humans.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I cannot speak got others but as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses I do not hold such a belief.

By the way it doesnt seem to me that the website is suggesting animals talked so much as that Eve may have believed that an animals could talk.

RELATED POSTS

Was there a talking snake in Eden?
viewtopic.php?p=1121678#p1121678

Does the bible teach snakes used to have legs?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 27#p836127
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 15, 2023 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Did a snake really speak in the Garden of Eden?

No, snakes cannot talk, they have not been created with the intelligence to speak nor have they vocal cords or the ability to do so.

The snake in the Genesis accounts was a dumb beast being maniupulated in a similar way to how a VENTRILOQUIST makes a dummy "speak" by projecting his voice so that he listener is unaware of WHO really is speaking. For example, imagine you could not see the puppeteer below, who would "appear " to be speaking.

Since spirits are invisible (and can and do manipulate the physical environment) it would be simple for them to make it APPEAR as if an animal was speaking. The bible explains that the "original* serpent" was none other than the powerful invisible spirit creature, "the one called Devil and Satan". (see Rev. 12:9; 20:2).

*The greek word in Revelation 12:9 is archaios from the root arch which according to Strongs (#744) ==> original or primeval:--(them of) old (time).

Are there "good spirits" Christians should communicate with?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 72#p836072

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

FREE WILL, SATAN THE DEVIL and ...THE ORIGINAL SIN
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 15, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #4]
The snake in the Genesis accounts was a dumb beast being maniupulated in a similar way to how a VENTRILOQUIST makes a dummy "speak" by projecting his voice so that he listener is unaware of WHO really is speaking.

What bible version has it that a ventriloquist was involved?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

William wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:07 pm What bible version has it that a ventriloquist was involved?
The one read with critical thinking skills. (Demonstarted in the above post #4 )

RELATED POSTS

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , DEDUCTION and ... CRITICAL THINKING
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 15, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Skeptical »

1213 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:33 am
Skeptical wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:23 pm ....
I think animals talk also nowadays. For example I heard bird singing this morning. But, obviously the don't talk human. Maybe Adam and Eve understood animal voices better than modern humans.
Well, perhaps that might explain things. Perhaps in our sin and imperfection, perhaps we lost that ability. 😶 .... 😄

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:12 am
By the way it doesnt seem to me that the website is suggesting animals talked so much as that Eve may have believed that an animals could talk.
Well, no, because the website actually said...
Perhaps Satan or even God Himself had used animals to communicate with Adam and Eve before.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Skeptical wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:35 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:12 am
Well, no, because the website actually said...
Perhaps Satan or even God Himself had used animals to communicate with Adam and Eve before.

If you use a telephone to communicate does that mean telephones can talk?

JW

Skeptical
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Skeptical »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:23 pm
William wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:07 pm What bible version has it that a ventriloquist was involved?
The one read with critical thinking skills. (Demonstarted in the above post #4 )

RELATED POSTS

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , DEDUCTION and ... CRITICAL THINKING
Well, just for the sake of debate, wouldn't ventriloquism skills have required Satan to have moved the snake's mouth in synch correctly with the words that were actually coming out of Satan's mouth?

Also, I was wondering if after God had showed Adam all the animals on the earth before Eve was pulled from Adam's rib and created, if Eve ever had the opportunity to be shown all the animals too. Or if she was just sat somewhere by herself in paradise to be tempted. 🤔 Because I would have thought that she would have been shown all the animals too and would have understood that animals couldn't talk.