Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Things Adam could/should he have done differently, might include.

Pick up a rock and dash in the head of Serpent before it could further entice Eve.
Runaway and find God/call pout to God in a loud voice and tell Him what was happening/make Him aware of it.
Remind Eve that while she could touch the fruit and examine it, she wasn't to eat it, and that the Serpent, while a know-all, didn't know everything.
Smack the fruit out of her hand, when she went to bite it.
Let Eve do as she pleased, and wash his hands of her.

When Eve saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto Adam who was with her; and he did eat as well.(Author unknown)
______________________Image
Image depicting Adam's point of view.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

There is no indication that Eve asked for consent or advice from Adam. So, there was no choice for Adam to make.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:10 pm Q: Did Adam make the right choice in letting Eve take a bite?

Things Adam could/should he have done differently, might include.

Pick up a rock and dash in the head of Serpent before it could further entice Eve.
Runaway and find God/call pout to God in a loud voice and tell Him what was happening/make Him aware of it.
Remind Eve that while she could touch the fruit and examine it, she wasn't to eat it, and that the Serpent, while a know-all, didn't know everything.
Smack the fruit out of her hand, when she went to bite it.
Let Eve do as she pleased, and wash his hands of her.

When Eve saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto Adam who was with her; and he did eat as well.(Author unknown)
______________________Image
Image depicting Adam's point of view.
Eve was apparently by herself when Satan introduced the idea of rebellion against God. She found the tree fascinating and passed it on to Adam....."Consequently the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was something to be longed for to the eyes, yes the tree was desirable to look upon....So she began taking of its fruit and eating it. Afterward she gave some also to her husband when with her and he began eating it. (Genesis 3:6) He didn't share in her original treachery. But he wanted independence also, though he was not deceived. He knew exactly what he was doing, though Eve did not, as she was deceived by Satan. (I Timothy 2:14) She is still responsible for turning against God, because she did not believe Him.

Another version doesn't mention that it was a tree to make one wise. I think perhaps that Eve thought that they could gain more knowledge of some kind, making them equal to God. Actually, they were already "wise," as it would be remiss for God not to explain to his first humans all the ins and outs of life. The Holy Family Edition puts it this way:

"And the woman saw that the tree was good to eat, and fair to the eyes, and delightful to behold: and she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat it, and gave to her husband who did eat." (There is the possibility that Adam wasn't with her when she ate the fruit, but ate it later.)

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #3]

Thank you for sharing your perspectives on the question at hand. I appreciate the diverse viewpoint that you presented.

In order to keep the discussion focused, I kindly request that we return to the specific version mentioned in the original post. This version highlights Adam being present with Eve when the event occurs, which raises questions about his role and choices in that particular context. By examining this version first, we can delve into the implications and motivations within that narrative.

Once we have thoroughly explored the details of the OP version, we can then consider the variations in the versions followed by others, including the questions of how Eve convinced Adam to eat the fruit in those narratives. This approach allows us to address the specific concerns raised in the original post and subsequently explore alternative interpretations.

I think that this will lead to a more focused and productive discussion. Let's strive to maintain respectful and constructive dialogue as we explore these different perspectives. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:58 pm There is no indication that Eve asked for consent or advice from Adam. So, there was no choice for Adam to make.
Thank you, Tim, for sharing your viewpoint. I appreciate your observation that there is no indication that Eve asked for consent or advice from Adam, suggesting that Adam may not have had a choice to make in that particular moment.

While it is true that the specific biblical account does not explicitly mention Eve seeking Adam's input, it is important to consider that choices can still be made, even in situations where consent or explicit communication is absent.

Adam's decision to partake in the fruit alongside Eve suggests that he made a choice, albeit perhaps a complex one influenced by various factors.

In exploring the narrative, it can be valuable to delve into the motivations and reasons behind Adam's actions and inactions without veering too far from the story's original context. By examining the dynamics and implications within this specific version, we can gain deeper insights into Adam's role and the broader themes being portrayed.

I invite you to further discuss the implications and consequences of Adam's choices within the framework of the original version presented in the opening post. This allows us to analyze the story's themes and character dynamics while maintaining a focus on the specific context at hand.

Thank you for raising this perspective, and I look forward to further engaging with the topic based on the original version presented.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

William wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:43 pm I invite you to further discuss the implications and consequences of Adam's choices within the framework of the original version presented in the opening post.
There are no "original version" of Scripture, so your invitation is impossible; there are various translations and interpretations thereof.
The OP seems to be quoting GENESIS 3:6 in the KING JAMES VERSION but there is little significant difference between the translations. To speak of the KJV especially the recent modern English translation , as "the original version" is a gross misnomer as the bible was originally written in Hebrew Aramaic and Greek and certainly not English.
The various translations of Genesis 3v6 (including the quoted KJV) all allow for the reading that Adam was NOT present during Eve's initial interaction with Adam and that he was not consulted before she ate of the forbidden fruit.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

William wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:43 pm

Adam's decision to partake in the fruit alongside Eve suggests that he made a choice, albeit perhaps a complex one influenced by various factors.

I don't think it was complex at all. Eve offered her husband the fruit, he chose to take it. He sided with her against the prior warning of his Father and Creator not to eat of the fruit. It was a bad choice not a "complex" one.

RELATED POSTS
Was Adam present when Eve ate of the fruit?
viewtopic.php?p=1029137#p1029137

Who sinned first? Adam or Eve?[Gen 3:6]
viewtopic.php?p=1029137#p1029137

Why did Adam take the fruit?
viewtopic.php?p=1090006#p1090006
For more details please go to other posts related to...

THE GARDEN OF EDEN , ADAM and ... THE DECEPTION OF EVE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri May 12, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #6]
I invite you to further discuss the implications and consequences of Adam's choices within the framework of the original version presented in the opening post.
There are no "original version" of Scripture, so your invitation is impossible; there are various translations and interpretations thereof.
Yes - I can see how what I wrote could be interpreted that way. What I was attempting to say was that the focus if the OP is on the version in the OP.

In that regard, it is possible for any to respond to the invitation.
The OP seems to be quoting GENESIS 3:6 in the KING JAMES VERSION but there is little significant difference between the translations. To speak of the KJV especially the recent modern English translation , as "the original version" is a gross misnomer as the bible was originally written in Hebrew Aramaic and Greek and certainly not English.
I agree that the version in the OP is pretty much the same as in the KJV, and certainly not different enough to warrant any argument.
As I have now explained, I am not arguing that any version of any bible is "original" - that was simply a poor choice of wording even that the context of my post you cherry-picked those words from, clearly shows that I was altogether saying that the focus of the OP and the questions related to that, are particular to that version of that part of the story, as given in the OP.
The various translations of Genesis 3v6 (including the quoted KJV) all allow for the reading that Adam was NOT present during Eve's initial interaction with Adam and that he was not consulted before she ate of the forbidden fruit.
That is irrelevant to the thread topic, and most of the questions asked in the OP.
If you want to argue for another version of the story, you are best to start your own thread rather than disrupt this one.
If you do decide to create another thread, I would be happy to see what and why it is that you have feel you have to lean into a different version of that part of the story.
I don't think it was complex at all. Eve offered her husband the fruit, he chose to take it. He sided with her against the prior warning of his Father and Creator not to eat of the fruit. It was a bad choice not a "complex" one.
The complexity is in trying to find out why he made the choice that he made, after witnessing what he did, and that is why the questions in the OP are being asked.
If you simply dropped by to complain about which version of that part of the story you think everyone should be following, then you have my answer.

The OP clearly invites folk to interact with and give reasons why they think the questions are or are not relevant, answerable or anything else including asking their own questions/providing alternatives to what Adam could have done re "making the right choice".

If you don't have any of those things to add to the discussion, please don't interfere any more.

Thanks.

Avoice
Guru

Post #9

Post by Avoice »

No, EVE KNEW exactly what she was doing. The serpent proved to God that she knew not to eat from that tree. And she knew the consequences. But did it anyway.

Avoice
Guru

Post #10

Post by Avoice »

No, EVE KNEW exactly what she was doing. The serpent proved to God that she knew not to eat from that tree. And she knew the consequences. But did it anyway.