Other sheep - Little flock

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Other sheep - Little flock

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

What Scripture says the “other sheep” are the great crowd?

What Scripture says the “little flock” are the 144,000?

I can find no Scripture that says “great crowd of other sheep,” nor can I find a verse which says the “little flock of 144,000.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Other sheep - Little flock

Post #51

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to MissKate13 in post #1]

I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. (John 10:14-16)

Jesus was relating a parable to the Jews when He made this statement. So the sheep referred to could be the Jews. If that is the case, then the sheep not of this Jewish fold would be the gentiles. Remember that Jesus came first to the Jews, then to the gentiles.

However, the entire flock of earthly sheep for which Jesus gave His life is every human on the Earth, both Jews and gentiles. If this is the meaning of the verse, then where are the sheep which are not of this fold? That is, if Jesus died for all the sheep (humans) in the fold of the Earth, and He has sheep which are not of the fold of the Earth; then where are these other sheep which He must bring together into this fold?

Jesus could be referring to the angels which revolted on the earth and are currently imprisoned in hell. These sheep would certainly not be of this fold. That is, on the earth:

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. (Jude 1:6)

These angels are no longer in the fold of the earth, so it's possible that Jesus is speaking of them. Otherwise, the sheep not in this fold could be on another planet or planets. That is, the earth may not be the only inhabited planet. If the earth is not the only planet with intelligent life, it is a very special planet, because God sent His only Son to die for the sins of earthlings. Can you imagine God the Father calling Jesus in and asking, "How often is it that your Father asks you to do something? We have another rebellious planet and I would like for you to go there as a mortal, live a sinless life, you know...