What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Bobcat
Apprentice

What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #1

Post by Bobcat »

Jesus said that the son of man came eating and drinking but people said he was a drunkard and a friend of sinners. But what did He really mean by eating and drinking?

Scripture defines God’s servant as eating and drinking. So Jesus was describing the son of man as God’s servant not Him alone.

Reference;

“The son of man came eating and drinking and people say he is a drunkard and a friend of sinners and tax collectors….”

“My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty.”

Has anyone ever heard this before?

tam
Savant

Re: What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you Bobcat,

Christ is the Son of Man being referenced in His words, because it was a comparison between 'the dancing' and the 'mourning'. The people got John the Baptist (not eating or drinking) and said he had a demon. Then they got Christ (eating and drinking), and they called him a glutton and a drunkard.

He was making a point. It did not matter how the message was delivered or by whom. Someone eating and drinking as Christ did... or someone who did neither, such as John (the baptist).

To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: 17‘ We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ 18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”

It invalidates the reasons "this generation" gave for their rejection and their complaints.

As for the Isaiah verse and the promise to the servants of God and of His Son; if we are servants of Christ and of God, then we DO eat and drink. We eat and drink of Christ. We do not go hungry, we do not thirst.

"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." John 7:37.

See also Isaiah 55:1; Rev 22:7; John 4:10: Rev 2:7. Also John 6 (from 25 onward) is all about eating and drinking of Christ (because Christ is the TRUE Manna from heaven.) Christ is also the Tree of Life.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Bobcat
Apprentice

Re: What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #3

Post by Bobcat »

tam wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:58 pm Peace to you Bobcat,

Christ is the Son of Man being referenced in His words, because it was a comparison between 'the dancing' and the 'mourning'. The people got John the Baptist (not eating or drinking) and said he had a demon. Then they got Christ (eating and drinking), and they called him a glutton and a drunkard.

He was making a point. It did not matter how the message was delivered or by whom. Someone eating and drinking as Christ did... or someone who did neither, such as John (the baptist).

To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others: 17‘ We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ 18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon!’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at this glutton and drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is vindicated by her actions.”

It invalidates the reasons "this generation" gave for their rejection and their complaints.

As for the Isaiah verse and the promise to the servants of God and of His Son; if we are servants of Christ and of God, then we DO eat and drink. We eat and drink of Christ. We do not go hungry, we do not thirst.

"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink." John 7:37.

See also Isaiah 55:1; Rev 22:7; John 4:10: Rev 2:7. Also John 6 (from 25 onward) is all about eating and drinking of Christ (because Christ is the TRUE Manna from heaven.) Christ is also the Tree of Life.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
When Jesus said come to me He was saying become God’s servant as He had shown us.

As He said;

“He who comes to me hears my word and uses it.”

“I have given them the words you gave me and they accepted them…”

“As the Father sent me so I send you.”

“As you set me into the world so I have sent them.”

By theses verses one can see Jesus wanted His followers to be just like Him.

If the son frees you you shall truly be free and if you become God’s servant, the son of man you shall live.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to TDD subforum.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Bobcat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:22 pm “My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty.”

Yes I know this passage:

This is a promise primarily for SPIRITUAL prospertity. Gods servants, especially in our present time, are guaranteed plenty of bible based spiritual instruction.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Bobcat
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Bobcat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:19 pm
Bobcat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:22 pm “My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty.”

Yes I know this passage:

This is a promise primarily for SPIRITUAL prospertity. Gods servants, especially in our present time, are guaranteed plenty of bible based spiritual instruction.

JW
I was not speaking of the verse alone but that Jesus was really speaking of God’s servants as the son of man.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Bobcat wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:56 pm I was not speaking of the verse alone but that Jesus was really speaking of God’s servants as the son of man.
I dont know of any verse where Jesus referred go anyone but himself as "The son if man" ; so I see no basis for coming to that conclusion.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #8

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:34 pm
Bobcat wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:56 pm I was not speaking of the verse alone but that Jesus was really speaking of God’s servants as the son of man.
I dont know of any verse where Jesus referred go anyone but himself as "The son if man" ; so I see no basis for coming to that conclusion.
Yeshua and the OT referred to men/Israel as sons/children of God (Mt 5:9 & John 1:12 & Hosea 1:10 & 1 John 3:1-2), which would make them brothers of Yeshua. The first use of the term "son of man" occurs in Numbers 23:19, and refers to someone who is "human", and not God. Which is to say, that Yeshua is a "son of man" and not God, any more than any human is God, other than the prophets/anointed were tabernacles of the Spirit of God. Keep in mind that Yeshua was the "Word" (LAW and the prophets) made flesh. He personified the "Word", which referred to humans being the "son of man" (Num 23:19).

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

Bobcat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:22 pm
“The son of man came eating and drinking and people say he is a drunkard and a friend of sinners and tax collectors….”

“My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty.”

I have read these scriptures but never have I seen anyone try to reference them to each other as they are not about the same subject matter. While the both do reference eating and drinking that is where the similarities stop.

Matthew 11:19 in context is Jesus speaking about the Jews ridiculing John the baptist and himself. Them calling John the Baptist a demon and Jesus, the Son of Man, a drunkard.

Isaiah 65:13 in context is about the stark contract there will be between Jehovah's servants and those that stubbornly refuse not to obey Him.

I don't see the tie-in between the two concepts.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #10

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Bobcat in post #1]

I don't have a problem with Jesus eating and drinking. We have to eat. They accused him of overeating, but nothing in the gospels suggests that is true. Jesus drank wine, which is not a big deal. God never forbade the drinking of alcohol, not even to the Jews who had the most strict laws.