Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

Israel must be back in the land in the end time according to the bible. Some people suggest that God brought them back, and that they are now fulfilling prophesy such as the desert blooming like a rose etc. Can anyone support that idea? Several denominations do make such claims.

In the end, after the remnant repents and Jesus returns, is when God restores believing Israel to the land. Not, as far as I can tell, in 1948. So, there are good bible teaching preachers that seem to think otherwise (Jack Hibbs, Behold Israel, Jan Markell, James Kaddis, Bret meador, etc etc). The thread is for someone to support their claims. In other threads I have not seen this done yet.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Post #121

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:18 am
I think the law is still good and true.
The question isnt whether the 613 laws that made up the MOSAIC LAW CODE* was "good and true" but whether it has been abolished or not?

* I clarify because I am beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same thing when we refer to "The Law"
1213 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:18 am ... if the law is not valid, nothing is sin, and then there is no need for saving anyone.

This would be the case ...unless the old law* was REPLACED with a new set of laws.

1213 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:18 am
The difference between old and the new is {snip}...
"old " WHAT? You refer to the "old" and the "new" ... the old and the new WHAT? Add nouns to your comment and you will be halfway to seeing the truth in the matter !!

Did Jesus say we were going to keep the old [FULL IN THE MISSING WORD]? Modify the old[FULL IN THE MISSING WORD]? Get rid of some of the old and add new patches to it?

JOHN 13:34

I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #122

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:50 pm ...
"old " WHAT? You refer to the "old" and the "new" ... the old and the new WHAT?...
Old and new covenant.

Savant

Post #123

Post by 1213 »

The question isnt whether the 613 laws that made up the MOSAIC LAW CODE* was "good and true" but whether it has been abolished or not?
Ok, I don't see how it could be abolished, when Jesus says:

Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter{literally, iota} or one tiny pen stroke{or, serif} shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Matt. 5:17-19

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #124

1213 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:21 am
Ok, I don't see how it could be abolished, when Jesus says:

Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter{literally, iota} or one tiny pen stroke{or, serif} shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Matt. 5:17-19

Jesus did not destroy the Law -- he FULFILLED it. To illustrate : a builder is under contract to build a house. When he arrives on the first day of construction, does he say "Hello I've come to destroy the contract"? No, he is there to fulfill the contract to the smallest detail. But once that is done, once he has finished the house, is he still under contract to build a house? Once he has fulfilled his obligations and the house is built, is the contract still valid ?
1213 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:21 am... until all things are accomplished.
Jesus mission was not to destroy the Law but to fulfill it. No part of it was to be modified, removed altered or to go unfulfilled. But once it was all accomplished, it passed from valid to invalid. It was neither Jesus mission nor his place to destroy it. It was abolished (declared legally invalid) by God once the "house" had been built.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon May 06, 2024 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #125

1213 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:19 am
"old " WHAT? You refer to the "old" and the "new" ... the old and the new WHAT?...
Old and new covenant.
So what in your opinion happened to the old covenant when the new one came into operation?
COLOSSIANS 2:13, 14

God .... erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake
  • Did God put the new covenent inside the old one ?
  • Did God use the new covenent to repair or patch up faults in the old ?
  • Did God want us to use the new and the old together ?

MilesJBennell
Student

Post #126

Post by MilesJBennell »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm
So what in your opinion happened to the old covenant when the new one came into operation?
As I understand it, the old covenant required good works under the law and animal sacrifice for our sins. Jesus fulfilled the law so we are no longer under the old covenant if we are in Christ. We are only under the obligation to love.
Hebrews 8:1-13 wrote:
8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #127

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm.... we are no longer under the old covenant if we are in Christ.
Thank you for your contribution Miles but my question (and the focus of my discussion with 1213) is : what HAPPENED to the old covenant?
HEBREWS 11:13 NWT

In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away.
EPHESIANS 2:15

By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees,.
COLOSSIANS 2:13,

God .... erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees ...by nailing it to the torture stake

Savant

Post #128

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm So what in your opinion happened to the old covenant when the new one came into operation?...
People broke the old Covenant that was made through Moses.

But if you will not listen to me, and will not do all these com-mandments; and if you shall reject my statutes, and if your soul abhors my ordinances, so that you will not do all my command-ments, but break my covenant; I also will do this to you: I will appoint terror over you, even consumption and fever, that shall consume the eyes, and make the soul to pine away; and you will sow your seed in vain, for your enemies will eat it.
Lev. 26:14-16
I will scatter you among the nations, and I will draw out the sword after you: and your land will be a desolation, and your cit-ies shall be a waste.
Lev. 26:33

That is why God made a new covenant through Jesus.

For finding fault with them, he said, "Behold, the days come," says the Lord, "That I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; Not according to the cov-enant that I made with their fathers, In the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; For they did-n't continue in my covenant, And I disregarded them," says the Lord. "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days," says the Lord; "I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be to them a God, And they will be to me a people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen,{TR reads "neighbor" instead of "fellow citizen"} Every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' For all will know me, From the least of them to the great-est of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more."
Heb. 8:8-12 (Jer. 31:31-34)
Yahweh your God will circumcise your heart, and the heart of your seed, to love Yahweh your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, that you may live. Yahweh your God will put all these curses on your enemies, and on those who hate you, who persecuted you. You shall return and obey the voice of Yahweh, and do all his commandments which I command you this day. Yahweh your God will make you plenteous in all the work of your hand, in the fruit of your body, and in the fruit of your cattle, and in the fruit of your ground, for good: for Yahweh will again rejoice over you for good, as he rejoiced over your fa-thers;
Deut. 30:6-9
He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, "All of you drink it, for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the remission of sins.
Matt. 26:27-28

In the new covenant law is written in a persons heart. What do you think the law is?

Savant

Post #129

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:09 pm ...No part of it was to be modified, removed altered or to go unfulfilled. But once it was all accomplished, it passed from valid to invalid....
But Jesus says it is valid till the end, "For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter{literally, iota} or one tiny pen stroke{or, serif} shall in any way pass away from the law".

MilesJBennell
Student

Post #130

Post by MilesJBennell »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:03 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm.... we are no longer under the old covenant if we are in Christ.
Thank you for your contribution Miles but my question (and the focus of my discussion with 1213) is : what HAPPENED to the old covenant?
HEBREWS 11:13 NWT

In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away.
EPHESIANS 2:15

By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees,.
COLOSSIANS 2:13,

God .... erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees ...by nailing it to the torture stake
Hebrews 8:7-13 KJV wrote:
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Ephesians 2:8-15 KJV wrote:
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
Colossians 2:13-14 KJV wrote:
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
It seems to me that there was a problem with the first covenant, mainly that we were in bondage to the law and we could not obey the law, so by the death of his Son, God nailed a list of our sins to the cross so that they no longer had dominion over us. And God gave us a new mind and heart so that we would obey the law not from compulsion but rather we would have a desire to obey the law.