What is a True Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Madeline
Apprentice

What is a True Christian?

Post #1

Post by Madeline »

How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: What is a True Christian?

Post #2

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline
I can sympathize with you. I have had christians blame everything from my sons autism, my daughters leukemia, and my leukemia to my lack of "true" faith. Now I don't believe all chrsitians are this way. On this site, you will actually find some who don't associate with a church but are christian simply because of the crucifying of members. My sin; i love sex. They attibute this to my lack of faith in letting god take this sin from my heart. If you beleive the christian doctrine, which I am in no place to encourage or discourage, then you must accept the doctrine. But if it is huring you so, then I suggest you seek answers as often as possible and judge for yourself if what you are doing is truly bad. I also suggest you question everything until it makes sense to you. But please, don't let any organization dictate your self esteem. That went against christs teachngs.

Hope this helps.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Madeline »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having sex. I don't understand why you believe it is a sin?

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with having sex. I don't understand why you believe it is a sin?

Love,
Madeline
Christianity condemns it because I am not married. That is why it is a sin. I had dated this guy for three years, didn't work out, but the sex was great. But we were never married nor even live together. I don't see a problem with sex, but christianity condemns it as immoral oustide of marriage.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Madeline »

I believe that every Christian struggles with sin and that every Christian has a 'pet sin'. I also believe that if one is not struggling with sin then this can show that this person is not truly repentant.

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:I believe that every Christian struggles with sin and that every Christian has a 'pet sin'. I also believe that if one is not struggling with sin then this can show that this person is not truly repentant.

Love,
Madeline
Maybe true, but unfortunately, you can repent that sin from now until eternity, and at the time of repentance you can be true to your words in your heart, but if you continue to repeat this sin, then you aren't truly repenent. I know a lot of christians who claim to struggle with their sins, yet somehow, they claim christ gives them the strength to overcome these sins. See, for those of us who aren't able to say god exists or doesn't exist at this point in our lives, we are those who slipped through the cracks. We can't get the strength to overcome them because we can't speak to one we don't know. See the quandry. Ultimately, I think you need to decide if you live up to the criteria set forth in the NT and in your heart. I hope you have better luck than I.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Madeline »

Actually I don't believe in 'luck', I believe in the power of God in me that helps me overcome sin. The word 'luck' is never mentioned in the bible. And eventually I will overcome the world and all it's desires.

1 John 4:4 - Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1 John 5:4 - For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:Actually I don't believe in 'luck', I believe in the power of God in me that helps me overcome sin. The word 'luck' is never mentioned in the bible. And eventually I will overcome the world and all it's desires.

1 John 4:4 - Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1 John 5:4 - For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Love,
Madeline
So, God can help you overcome this sin? Then what is the point of this thread. If he can help you overcome it, why are you still struggling with it?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Madeline »

Christians don't overcome sin in 'ONE DAY.' A friend of mines struggled with alcoholism for 10 years after becoming a Christian. He was truly repentant and felt convicted each time he would get drunk. However God was faithful to abide with him and guide his steps until he eventually overcame. Now he is sober and serves the Lord ministering to addicts. Gods timing does not always conform to our timing, but he is always on time. ;)

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Confused »

Madeline wrote:Christians don't overcome sin in 'ONE DAY.' A friend of mines struggled with alcoholism for 10 years after becoming a Christian. He was truly repentant and felt convicted each time he would get drunk. However God was faithful to abide with him and guide his steps until he eventually overcame. Now he is sober and serves the Lord ministering to addicts. Gods timing does not always conform to our timing, but he is always on time. ;)

Love,
Madeline
Ok, I am lost as to what you are seeking on this thread then.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein