Once again darn it, why the sexy Jesus?!

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Cmass
Guru

Once again darn it, why the sexy Jesus?!

Post #1

Post by Cmass »

I have yet to get a decent, well thought out answer for this:

Why the sexy Jesus in nearly ALL Christian literature, artwork and movies?

I spent quite a bit of time in a Christian book store the other day and could not find ONE Jesus who did not look European, tall, long-haired and quite handsome. If he were not dressed in the pure white gown and Birkenstocks I'm am sure the ladies would admit their sexual attraction for him.

A recent study (with Christian participation) - which took into account the known realities of that time - indicates he was very likely short by today's standards, very thin, short wiry hair, very dark with leather skin and poor teeth. In other words, nearly the exact opposite of all Westernized depictions of Jesus.

So, why the sexy Jesus?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Once again darn it, why the sexy Jesus?!

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

Cmass wrote:I have yet to get a decent, well thought out answer for this:

Why the sexy Jesus in nearly ALL Christian literature, artwork and movies?

I spent quite a bit of time in a Christian book store the other day and could not find ONE Jesus who did not look European, tall, long-haired and quite handsome. If he were not dressed in the pure white gown and Birkenstocks I'm am sure the ladies would admit their sexual attraction for him.

A recent study (with Christian participation) - which took into account the known realities of that time - indicates he was very likely short by today's standards, very thin, short wiry hair, very dark with leather skin and poor teeth. In other words, nearly the exact opposite of all Westernized depictions of Jesus.

So, why the sexy Jesus?
For the same reason god has all those 'human' qualities.

Wishful thinking and/or marketing.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Cmass
Guru

Post #3

Post by Cmass »

Yes, I think it is all marketing. It is selling Jesus products to Christians, from Christians.
And I wish more Christians would admit that this is a scam. It is manipulative. It dirties their religion. It denigrates Chrisitanity far more than any taunting atheist ever could.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by bernee51 »

Cmass wrote:Yes, I think it is all marketing. It is selling Jesus products to Christians, from Christians.
And I wish more Christians would admit that this is a scam. It is manipulative. It dirties their religion. It denigrates Chrisitanity far more than any taunting atheist ever could.
It is immoral ...people like this rake in over $35 million per annum from donations and the sale of CD's, video's - all in the name of Jesus. Not sure where it all goes - it's own record show it 'gave' only $3.5 mill to 'charitable causes'.

A video of one of their meetings had the pastor telling his (mainly 20 somethings) audience that it was their christian duty to make money and if they really believed god would look after their success.

He (god) is sure looking after the pastor's
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Cmass
Guru

Post #5

Post by Cmass »

Here is a look-see at John Hagee and his band of merry Jesus-loving men - taking from the poor and giving to the good pastor John. They sell all sorts of sexy Jesus stuff in order to stuff their pockets with cash. Why don't more Christians take a stand and throw the money changers out of the temple? Why not blast this bastard in public? Why does Bush embrace and invite him into the White House for conferences (wait, never mind, I know the answer to that one [-o< )

http://www.rickross.com/reference/tv_pr ... hers7.html

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Cathar1950 »

I think a sexy Jesus would be a woman.

Nothing against gay but it seems our modern Jesus may be a form of homoerotic projection. The same goes with the “holy spirit” the third male in the Trinity. I hear men singing these love songs to Jesus and the spirit and I sometimes wonder why they want to be the bride of Christ. On the other hand they bash gays and say what worthless sinners every one is and unworthy of a bloody sacrifice God requires. It should make us wonder.
I almost expect a Jesus dressed like a gay SM guy dressed in black leather and a whip.

Cmass
Guru

Post #7

Post by Cmass »

I've wondered about that too. It reminds me of the old Tim Curry movie Praise the Lord and Pass the Amo. He plays a televangalist who's wife who takes the bride of Jesus thing to it's natural conclusion: "Make love to me Jesus!"

Chem
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Chem »

Here is a look-see at John Hagee and his band of merry Jesus-loving men - taking from the poor and giving to the good pastor John. They sell all sorts of sexy Jesus stuff in order to stuff their pockets with cash. Why don't more Christians take a stand and throw the money changers out of the temple? Why not blast this bastard in public?
I have always wondered, does forming your own religion in America give a better chance to become rich :-k ?

I have heard stories whereby one Televangilist proclaimed that his flock needed to raise $8,000,000 or God would strike him dead!

While we're on the subject, what about the Christian aid workers in Latin America that would give aid only after the people signed up to their beliefs. These are from TV programs >10 years ago on this side of the pond.

Would any Jesus, sexy or not, want such people paying homage to him. It brings us back to the problems with the powerful as described in the New Testament!
"I'd rather know than believe" Carl Sagan.

"The worst Government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when the fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression." H.L. Mencken

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Cathar1950 »

I have heard stories whereby one Televangilist proclaimed that his flock needed to raise $8,000,000 or God would strike him dead!
That was Oral Roberts. I wonder if he got the money. I believe he said God was going to call him home if he didn't raise it.
L. Ron Hubbard said the best way to become rich was to start your own religion. He started Scientology where souls were traped by a volcano or something lame like that.
Any one want to start a religion with me?
Of course I would have problems with the ethics but that does not stop others.

Cmass
Guru

Post #10

Post by Cmass »

My wife & I considered starting a religion whereby people would pay for the rights to "till our holy soil". We would simply make up an elaborate tale about why tilling the soil on our property was some sort of amazing religious experience. (Perhaps visions of the Virgin Mary in the tree stumps?) Over a few beers, some friends of mine chimed in and found various biblical passages we could use to "prove" it. The idea would be that people would pay good money to do garden work for me and then pay even more for the right to take home the garden tool they used to touch the holy soil. Perhaps a $5 Home Depot garden rake for, say $150 - signed by me of course. This is NO DIFFERENT than Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell or any other well-known or not so well-known church figure selling Jesus-ware. ($100 signed bibles etc..)
Based upon the numerous incidents I have seen on TV, I could even TELL people it was pure BS and they would STILL give me the money!
"I am making this up! It is pure BS! Don't come to my house any more! Please, if you do, I will raise the price of the rake from $150 to $1,500."
You know what? They would still come.