JESUS IS NOT GOD

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

onewithhim
Savant

JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1

Post by onewithhim »

I would very much like to get opinions on this subject. I'll provide several verses from the King James Version of the Bible, and I ask you to give me feed-back.

Jesus' words:

1) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

2) "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me." (John 7:16)

3) "Neither came I of myself, but he sent me." (John 8:42)

He replied, after the Pharisees accused him of making himself God:
4) "Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the SON of God?" (John 10:36)

5) "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say....Whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak." (John 12:49,50)

6) To his Father in prayer: "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

7) "I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God." (John 20:17)

To John in the Revelation:
8) "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God..." (Revelation 3:12)

Do these quotations show that Jesus was NOT God?

Do YOU believe that he claimed to be God?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: JESUS IS NOT GOD

Post #1551

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:48 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:34 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:31 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:25 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:25 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pmHe started out with a dark watery world and gradually formed it into a sphere that could maintain human life.
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:34 pm Why did God think that a dark watery world would be suitable for mankind?
onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pm Of course He did not.
But you claim that God created the earth for mankind to live on.

Then you claim that God created it originally as a dark watery world.

Do you believe the following verse:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:31)

If God made the dark watery world for mankind, and everything God made was very good for its purpose, then the dark watery world would be very good for mankind.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

Were the heaven and the earth created in Genesis as "very good"?
You are out in left field. I can't follow your reasoning, and I've explained how the earth came to be a dark watery place, in the beginning, after which he formed it to be inhabited. If anyone else can understand what you are saying, I hope they will say so here on this thread.
The earth was never created as a dark and watery world.

See if you can understand that.
It says so in Genesis 1:1,2. It's sad that you can't understand that.

God created the heaven and the earth, and everything that God created was seen to be very good by God.

Genesis 1:2 states that the earth was empty, void, and dark.

It does not state that God created it that way.
Where else did it come from if God didn't create it?

And He had to start somewhere. He started with this dark watery earth and transformed it into the earth we see today.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1552

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:21 am
onewithhim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pmHe started out with a dark watery world and gradually formed it into a sphere that could maintain human life.
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:34 pm Why did God think that a dark watery world would be suitable for mankind?

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:31)

If God made the dark watery world for mankind, and everything God made was very good for its purpose, then the dark watery world would be very good for mankind.

You are out in left field. I can't follow your reasoning, and I've explained how the earth came to be a dark watery place, in the beginning, after which he formed it to be inhabited. If anyone else can understand what you are saying, I hope they will say so here on this thread.

God created the heaven and the earth, and everything that God created was seen to be very good by God.

And He had to start somewhere. He started with this dark watery earth and transformed it into the earth we see today.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth as very good from nothing!

And it came to be void, empty, and dark over time due to neglect.

Now you know.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1553

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:36 am
onewithhim wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:21 am

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth as very good from nothing!

And it came to be void, empty, and dark over time due to neglect.

Now you know.
Now I know exactly what? God did not neglect the earth, and continued to form it into something habitable by man.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1554

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:04 pm
Now I know exactly what? God did not neglect the earth, and continued to form it into something habitable by man.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth as very good.

And it came to be void, empty, and dark over time due to neglect resulting when angels assigned to maintain the earth rebelled under the ruler of the earth, which was Satan:

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. (Jude 1:6)

God then returned to the earth and began the re-creation of a decimated earth beginning in Genesis 1:3.

Man was then created and given dominion over that restored earth.

Man has 6,000 years to maintain the earth from that point and learn that the best way to do things is by obeying Gods commandments.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #1555

Post by LittleNipper »

Because this is so important a concept, I've also copied and pasted this here from the forum JESUS IS GOD: What is being overlooked is that GOD created man in HIS own image. What does this mean? Well, it most likely doesn't mean that we all look like GOD. However, it would seem to mean that we possess the same attributes of GOD. And one attribute is that GOD is TRIUNE in HIS very nature. So, GOD would have created man as triune. Man is triune (Spirit, Soul, Body).
The Christian doctrine of immortality cannot be understood apart from the nature of men. Many feel that man is a physical being only. There is a great danger of any man thinking this. In his desire to satisfy the needs of the body there is the tendency on man’s part to lose sight of the fact that he is immortal. There have been persons who have lived all of their lives either in ignorance or willful neglect of a life after death, but upon their death-bed they suddenly see that they were more than physical beings.

There is another concept prevalent today that man consists of two component parts (body and spirit). This view appears to be one that might create confusion among Christians. While soul and spirit are so closely related that it is sometimes difficult to distinguish accurately between them, there seems to be only one logical conclusion: namely, that “the soul” and “the spirit” are not the same. The Bible makes a distinction.

Man again, is a triune being because he's created in the image of GOD. “GOD said, Let us make man in Our image” (Genesis 1:26). We know that GOD is triune in nature. The TRINITY is clearly promoted in Apostle Paul’s benediction that closed his Second Corinthian letter: “The grace of the LORD JESUS CHRIST, and the love of GOD, and the communion of the HOLY GHOST, be with you all. Amen” (2 Corinthians 13:14). CHRIST HIMSELF revealed likewise, in what we call “The Great Commission”: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER, and of the SON, and of the HOLY GHOST” (Matthew 28:19). Created in the image of GOD, man is likewise triune. He has a spiritual nature that is separate and distinct from the body in which it resides.

The two following passages from the Scripture clearly establish the fact that man is a triune being composed of spirit, soul, and body:

1) I pray GOD your whole SPIRIT and SOUL and BODY be preserved blameless unto the coming of our LORD JESUS CHRIST (1 Thessalonians 5:23).

2) For the word of GOD is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of SOUL and SPIRIT, and of the joints and marrow (body), and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

Regardless of the teaching of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and of other false sects that “no man possesses a soul,” the Bible emphatically states that man was created a trinity of SPIRIT, SOUL, and BODY even as the eternal GOD is HIMSELF a trinity composed of FATHER, SON, and HOLY SPIRIT. The trinity of man is a necessary part of the image relationship between him and God. Life is not ultimately physical and the body is not the entire man. And in addition the body in itself, nor the soul in itself, nor the spirit in itself makes up the whole man, but he is “Spirit, Soul and Body.” This must be seriously regarded and agreed upon before we can comprehend with accuracy the topic of life after death. We shall confine our material to the Spirit and the Soul inasmuch as the Body will be considered in the resurrection.

The Spirit
The word “Spirit” when used in the Scriptures has several meanings. Whenever the word “Spirit” begins with a capital letter, it has but one meaning. It is the name of the THIRD PERSON in the TRINITY, the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD. The word “spirit” spelled with a small letter may have one of several different meanings. It can directly refer to the spirit of man which is as much a part of the tripartite nature of man as the SPIRIT of the living GOD is a PERSON of the TRINITY. Or "spirit" can indicate an evil spirit such as any agent of the Devil/Satan. I will confine myself here to the Biblical usage of the word only as it relates to the spirit of man, one of the three components of his being.

The threefold nature of man might be illustrated in several ways. Dr. Clarence Larkin uses three circles (Rightly Dividing The Word, page 86). The outer circle represents for the body of man, the middle circle for the soul, and the inner for the spirit. At this point it will be well to quote a portion from Dr. Larkin’s book:

In the outer circle the ‘Body’ is shown as touching the Material world through the five senses of ‘Sight,’ ‘Smell,’ ‘Hearing,’ ‘Taste’ and ‘Touch.’

The Gates to the ‘Soul’ are ‘Imagination,’ ‘Conscience,’ ‘Memory,’ ‘Reason’ and the ‘Affections.’

The “Spirit” receives impressions of outward and material things through the soul. The spiritual faculties of the ‘Spirit’ are ‘Faith,’ ‘Hope,’ ‘Reverence,’ ‘Prayer’ and ‘Worship.’

In his unfallen state the ‘Spirit’ of man was illuminated by Heaven, but when the human race fell through Adam, sin closed the window of the Spirit, drew the curtain down, and the chamber of the spirit became a death chamber and remains so in every unregenerate heart, until the Life and Light giving power of the Holy Spirit floods that chamber with the Life and Light giving power of the new life in CHRIST JESUS.

It elaborates that the spirit of man, being the sphere of God-consciousness, is the inner or private office of man where the work of regeneration takes place. Dr. James R. Graham says that the main theatre of the HOLY SPIRIT's activity in man, and the part of man’s nature with which He has peculiar attraction, is the spirit of man. The Apostle Paul gives us the Word of God on this, a passage that is sadly neglected. Quoting from the chapter 64 of the Prophet Isaiah, Paul wrote:

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which GOD hath prepared for them that love HIM. Many people stop here, content to remain in ignorance. However, Paul continues:

But God hath revealed them unto us by HIS SPIRIT; for the SPIRIT searcheth all things, yes, the deep things of GOD.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? Even so the things of GOD knoweth no man, but the SPIRIT of GOD (1 Corinthians 2:9-11).

Man in his unregenerate state comes to know the things of man by the operator of “the spirit of man” which is within him. If I have a will to know certain scientific facts, by my human spirit I am enabled to investigate, think, and weigh evidence. If I set myself to the task, I may become a scientist of world-renown and of great accomplishments. However, my human spirit is “limited to the things of man.” If I wish to know about the things of GOD, my dead and dormant spirit is not able to know them.

The natural man receiveth not the things of the SPIRIT of GOD; for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Corinthians 2:14).

The human spirit requires “the spark of regeneration” before there is an understanding of the things of GOD. Man’s spiritual nature must be renewed before there is a true conception of Godliness. Only one thing stands as a guard at the door of man’s spirit, and that is his own will. When the will is surrendered, the HOLY SPIRIT takes up HIS abode in the spirit of man. And when that transaction takes place we will know it, for, says Paul:

The SPIRIT HIMSELF (meaning the HOLY SPIRIT) beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of GOD (Romans 8:16 R.V.).

Many people say that they get nothing out of the Bible even though they attend church and read their Bibles regularly. Perhaps they do not know that they are not regenerated and that they need to yield their will to the SPIRIT of GOD so that HE can renew their human spirits. The deep things of GOD never will be understood by the world apart from JESUS CHRIST. Our LORD warned HIS disciples,

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6).

The spirit of the unregenerate man has no more capacity to appreciate the things of GOD than a dog has to appreciate holy things, or a hog a genuine pearl necklace. We read that “The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire” (2 Peter 2:22). This they did because the dog was a dog and the sow was a sow. No amount of religion or church activity can change the spirit of the unregenerate man. “Remember,” says Dr. G. Campbell Morgan, “if out of false charity or pity you allow men of material ideals and worldly wisdom to touch holy things, to handle the pearls of the Kingdom, presently they will turn and rend you. This is the whole history of Christendom’s ruin, in the measure in which Christendom is ruined. We gave holy things to dogs. We cast the pearls of the Kingdom before swine.” The ministry of CHRIST’s Church dare not be entrusted to any man who has not been born again, for “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the SPIRIT is spirit” (John 3:6).

The Bible says; “There is a spirit in man; and the inspiration of the ALMIGHTY giveth them understanding” (Job 32:8). Here we are told that it is the spirit of man that is given understanding. The materialist tells us that the spirit of man is the air that he breathes, and that man’s body is all there is to his personality. Such isn't the case. The spirit of man is his personality and it is that which differentiates him from the lower animal creation. If “spirit” meant merely “breath,” GOD would not deal with it as a personality. HE is called “The GOD of the spirits of all flesh” (Numbers 16:22), and “the FATHER of spirits” (Hebrews 12:9). It is through his spirit that the Christian both serves and worships GOD. Paul testified: “For God is my witness, Whom I serve with my spirit in the Gospel” (Romans 1:9). JESUS stated: “GOD is a spirit; and they that worship HIM must worship HIM in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).

The Soul
Man not only has a living soul but he is a living soul. The Bible reveals: “And the LORD GOD formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7). We must be careful not to confound that which is truly spiritual and that which is merely soulish or psychical. We have seen that the spirit of man is the sphere of activity where the HOLY SPIRIT operates in regeneration. Just so is the soul the sphere of activity where Satan operates making his appeal to the affections and emotions of man.

Satan comprehends that he dominates the psychical or the soulish man. Therefore he does not care if a man goes to a church where the SPIRIT of GOD is not in evidence. He knows that his victim is a creature of emotions, and it matters not if the emotions are stirred to sentimentalism or even to tears, just so long as man’s spirit does not come in contact with God’s Holy Spirit. Likely, Satan would rather have man go to a modernistic church where there is false worship/teaching than he would have him go to a house of prostitution. The soul is the seat of the passions, the feelings, and the desires of man; and Satan is satisfied if he can master these. F. W. Grant has said that the soul is the seat of the affections, right or wrong, of love, hate, lusts, and even the appetites of the body.

Hamor said to Jacob, “The soul of my son Shechem longeth for your daughter” (Genesis 34:8). Of David and Jonathan it is written: “The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul” (1 Samuel 18:1). These passages show the soul to be the seat of the affections. But as the soul loves, so it also hates. We read of those “that are hated of David’s soul” (2 Samuel 5:8).

It is in the soul where fleshly lusts, desires, and appetites arise:

Abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul (Peter 2:11).

As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country (Proverbs 25:25).

It shall be even as when a hungry man dreameth, and behold, he eateth; but he awaketh, and his soul is empty; or as when a thirsty man dreameth, and behold, he drinketh; but he awaketh, and behold, he is faint, and his soul hath appetite (Isaiah 29:8).

The soul of man, that is, his affections and desires, are never directed Godward until after the spirit has become regenerated. Man can never love God nor the things of GOD until he is born-again from above. He may have a troubled conscience or be so stirred emotionally that he may weep bitterly, and still remain dead in trespasses and in sins. We do not feel guilty of judging men when we state that some who have answered an altar call and shed tears never were born again. Man’s desires and affections are turned toward GOD when he realizes his sinful condition and GOD’s grace in salvation. When the SPIRIT of GOD illuminates the spirit of a man with divine light and life, that man begins to yield his affections and faculties to GOD.

The Virgin Mary said; “My soul doth magnify the LORD, And my spirit hath rejoiced in GOD my Savior” (Luke 1:46, 47). She could not extol the LORD in her soul until she had recognized GOD in her spirit as her SAVIOR. The initial triumph is in the spirit when JESUS CHRIST is acknowledged as personal SAVIOR.

In that immortal classic of the Psalms, David says: “He restoreth my soul” (Psalm 23:3). The Hebrew word translated “restoreth” is said to mean quite literally “turneth back.” At no time had David lost his salvation, but there were times when his affections and desires were turned from the LORD, as in the case of his sin with Bathsheba. Having become one of the Divine Shepherd’s flock, he testified: “The LORD turneth back my soul.” The Christian who is enjoying unbroken communion with his LORD will then be able to say, “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless HIS holy name” (Psalm 103:1).

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1556

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:54 pm

And it came to be void, empty, and dark over time due to neglect resulting when angels assigned to maintain the earth rebelled under the ruler of the earth, which was Satan:

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. (Jude 1:6)

God then returned to the earth and began the re-creation of a decimated earth beginning in Genesis 1:3.

Man has 6,000 years to maintain the earth from that point and learn that the best way to do things is by obeying Gods commandments.
I asked you what scriptures can you point me to to show that God assigned angels to take care of the earth even before Adam. You give your opinion without nailing the scriptures. You mention the angels who left heaven to cohabitate with humans, but that was AFTER Adam had sinned and brought death on us all.

There is nothing to show that the earth was created complete with everything for humans and then was dark and void. God started creating the earth from a dark and void mass and continued to form it into a habitable place for humans to live. He did not make a previous earth; there is nothing to show us that he did. This is the only earth he made. Anything else is your opinion, and it's not founded on anything. Genesis 1:1 does not say anything about the earth being "very good." You added that.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1557

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm

I asked you what scriptures can you point me to to show that God assigned angels to take care of the earth even before Adam. You give your opinion without nailing the scriptures. You mention the angels who left heaven to cohabitate with humans, but that was AFTER Adam had sinned and brought death on us all.

There is nothing to show that the earth was created complete with everything for humans and then was dark and void. God started creating the earth from a dark and void mass and continued to form it into a habitable place for humans to live. He did not make a previous earth; there is nothing to show us that he did. This is the only earth he made. Anything else is your opinion, and it's not founded on anything. Genesis 1:1 does not say anything about the earth being "very good." You added that.

Do you believe that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth?

Do you believe that everything God created was very good?

If you answer yes to both of these questions, then the earth was created as complete and very good in Genesis 1:1!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1558

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:38 pm

If you answer yes to both of these questions, then the earth was created as complete and very good in Genesis 1:1!
Yes I believe that God created the heavens and the earth. Everything he created was very good. Yet the earth wasn't fully created at first. He was getting ready to create the beautiful home that we have now and that Adam enjoyed. Verse 2 simply begins to explain what God did to finish creating our earthly home. He started with a dark and void mass of rocks and water, gradually forming the earth to be inhabitable by humans. The text does not say that he created an earth before this one.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1559

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am

Several translations of the scriptures use the word "now" to indicate a time lapse between verses one and two:

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:2 NIV)

Yes I believe that God created the heavens and the earth. Everything he created was very good. Yet the earth wasn't fully created at first.

Why do you not believe that the earth was completed created in Genesis 1:1?

Genesis 1:2 describes the earth as without form, void, and dark after being created:

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. (Genesis 1:2)

But since God created the earth, and every thing God created was very good, then the earth was originally created very good:

If God created the earth very good in verse one, and the earth is described as void, dark, and empty in verse two, then it had to have become that way after being created as very good in Genesis 1:1!

Numerous translations use the word "now" to indicate a time lapse between verses one and two:

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (Genesis 1:2 NIV)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1560

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:08 am
onewithhim wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am

Several translations of the scriptures use the word "now" to indicate a time lapse between verses one and two:

Yes I believe that God created the heavens and the earth. Everything he created was very good. Yet the earth wasn't fully created at first.

Why do you not believe that the earth was completed created in Genesis 1:1?
Because it doesn't say that there. You are ADDING to the Scriptures. It goes on to say how He formed the earth, in the beginning.