Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

melikio
Guru

CCM and Other Music

Post #1

Post by melikio »

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html#M%20English

It has always amazed me just how HARD LINE some Christians are about anything; but while I was surfing the web today looking for other info, I stumbled across the link above.

Sometimes, I think American Christians are wrapped too narrowly in their focus upon things. And to me, nothing else shows it better, than what some Christians have to say about "MUSIC".

What does anyone think about some of the views on music at the website linked above?

Are we Christians lopsided in their view/s of music and entertainment in general?

-Mel-
"It is better to BE more like Jesus and assume to speak less for God." -MA-

jjg
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by jjg »

I thought CCM was a hockey stick.

Udanor
Student

Post #3

Post by Udanor »

I think that christian magazines and sites have to much to say about "Good or Bad" music..... I listen to what ever music I like..... a lot of people dont understand music the way I do..... They think it's a sin to listen to music like (stair way to heaven)..... (I put a thread in with that topic)

I tried listening to some christian music... but most of it "stinks" #-o ...

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Confused »

Udanor wrote:I think that christian magazines and sites have to much to say about "Good or Bad" music..... I listen to what ever music I like..... a lot of people dont understand music the way I do..... They think it's a sin to listen to music like (stair way to heaven)..... (I put a thread in with that topic)

I tried listening to some christian music... but most of it "stinks" #-o ...
You never cease to amaze or entertain me. We need more Christians like you, despite some of my current debates with you. \:D/
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Udanor
Student

Post #5

Post by Udanor »

well... thank you :)

but music happens to be such a big part of my life.....
like I say... some times I wish I spent more time on God..

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Confused »

Udanor wrote:well... thank you :)

but music happens to be such a big part of my life.....
like I say... some times I wish I spent more time on God..
Since I am still on a quest to find this God, I cant answer that. But I can say that music is as important to me. It is my escape. I can be in the worst mood imaginable, having a day where Alan has gone into one of his autistic spasms for hours, had a horrible chemo treatment, come home listen to music for an hour or so and the world is all ok again.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:But I can say that music is as important to me. It is my escape. I [...] come home listen to music for an hour or so and the world is all ok again.
You should play. There is something transcendent about playing music sometimes. When you get into the groove or whatever you want to call it, you seem to lose consciousness of the fact that you are playing. It is just the music.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:
Confused wrote:But I can say that music is as important to me. It is my escape. I [...] come home listen to music for an hour or so and the world is all ok again.
You should play. There is something transcendent about playing music sometimes. When you get into the groove or whatever you want to call it, you seem to lose consciousness of the fact that you are playing. It is just the music.
I have no talent for playing any instrument. I couldn't read a note on a page to save my life. So I must rely on the talents of others. Thankfully they exist, otherwise I doubt I would still.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Udanor
Student

Post #9

Post by Udanor »

When you get into the groove or whatever you want to call it, you seem to lose consciousness of the fact that you are playing. It is just the music.
yes... it gets like that a lot.....

Biker

Re: CCM and Other Music

Post #10

Post by Biker »

melikio wrote:http://www.av1611.org/crock.html#M%20English

It has always amazed me just how HARD LINE some Christians are about anything; but while I was surfing the web today looking for other info, I stumbled across the link above.

Sometimes, I think American Christians are wrapped too narrowly in their focus upon things. And to me, nothing else shows it better, than what some Christians have to say about "MUSIC".

What does anyone think about some of the views on music at the website linked above?

Are we Christians lopsided in their view/s of music and entertainment in general?

-Mel-
Mel,
I am not aware of anywhere in the Bible where it has listed certain vocal, or instrumental sounds or tones in varying melody, harmony, rhythm and timbre forming any type of structurally complete compositions, as being evil. In fact our heavenly Father enjoys music. There are no bad notes or structures in music. Christians have the freedom to express themselves musically anyway they see fit so long as to not violate their conscience or the written word of God. I am surprised Christians have not been more successful, from an acceptance standpoint in secular arena than they have been. There is starting to come out some very good talented stuff from Christians, very tasty.
The scripture used by that website (1 Thess. 5:21-23), is taken out off the context of a discussion of Christian conduct, as I said above as long as the player of music is not violating their conscience and the word specific kinds of musical arrangement is not sinful as opposed to another type. In verse 22 the word evil is Poneros; evil in a moral or spiritual sense; wicked; malicious; mischievous. From the noun ponos labor, sorrow, pain. Distinguished from kakos evil in oneself but not necessarily malicious. Poneros is Satan as the first author of all mischief in the world (Mt. 6:13; Eph. 6:16). From it is derived poneria, aptness to do shrewd turns, delight in mischief and tragedies, perverseness.
Now as in all things what is your intent with your music.
My advice, if you want to rock,ROCK, if you want to jazz, JAZZ, etc.

Biker