Naming the Animals

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Naming the Animals

Post #1

Post by Bugmaster »

In one of the creation accounts in Genesis, God creates Adam, and then parades a bunch of animals before him, at which point Adam gives each animal a unique name.

My question is: why does God charge Adam with this task ? Why can't God (being omni-everything) name the animals himself ?

Interestingly enough, other myths and religions assume (sometimes, implicitly) that the power to name things is uniquely a human province. The power to name things is what separates humans from animals, spirits, goblins, etc.; it is this power that is the basis of most magicks.

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Naming the Animals

Post #2

Post by Bugmaster »

My personal opinion is that the God of Genesis is really a localized god, sort of like Coyote or Zeus. He has a lot of knowledge and power, but his powers are limited, and humans, despite being his creations, surpass him in some aspects. I think that the idea of an omni-god was developed much later, long after Genesis was written.

Oddly enough, I find this concept one of the more moving ideas in the Bible (it is reinforced again, albeit with a more negative spin, in the story of Babel). Humans may be mortal, frail creatures, but inside them lurks the power that makes even the gods tremble.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Scrotum »

Indeed that is what i read too. That the ´original´ (pre KJV i guess) version it is clear that "God" is one specific god amongst others...

Which would destroy quite a deal of faith of course, but KJV is the only REAL Bible.. You know, the one in English.......

Wonder about the Swedish One.
T: ´I do not believe in gravity, it´s just a theory

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Scrotum wrote:Indeed that is what i read too. That the ´original´ (pre KJV i guess) version it is clear that "God" is one specific god amongst others...

Which would destroy quite a deal of faith of course, but KJV is the only REAL Bible.. You know, the one in English.......

I begynnelsen skapade Gud himmel och jord.
Och jorden var öde och tom, och mörker var över djupet, och Guds Ande svävade över vattnet.
Och Gud sade: »Varde ljus»; och det vart ljus.
Och Gud såg att ljuset var gott; och Gud skilde ljuset från mörkret.
Och Gud kallade ljuset dag, och mörkret kallade han natt. Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den första dagen.
Och Gud sade: »Varde mitt i vattnet ett fäste som skiljer vatten från vatten.»
Och Gud gjorde fästet, och skilde vattnet under fästet från vattnet ovan fästet; och det skedde så.
Och Gud kallade fästet himmel. Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den andra dagen.
Och Gud sade: »Samle sig det vatten som är under himmelen till en särskild plats, så att det torra bliver synligt.» Och det skedde så.
Och Gud kallade det torra jord, och vattensamlingen kallade han hav. Och Gud såg att det var gott.
Och Gud sade: »Frambringe jorden grönska, fröbärande örter och fruktträd, som efter sina arter bära frukt, vari de hava sitt frö, på jorden.» Och det skedde så; jorden frambragte grönska, fröbärande örter, efter deras arter, och träd som efter sina arter buro frukt, vari de hade sitt frö. Och Gud såg att det var gott.
Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den tredje dagen.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by harvey1 »

Bugmaster wrote:In one of the creation accounts in Genesis, God creates Adam, and then parades a bunch of animals before him, at which point Adam gives each animal a unique name. My question is: why does God charge Adam with this task? Why can't God (being omni-everything) name the animals himself? Interestingly enough, other myths and religions assume (sometimes, implicitly) that the power to name things is uniquely a human province. The power to name things is what separates humans from animals, spirits, goblins, etc.; it is this power that is the basis of most magicks.
Naming objects according to the Hebrews was not just a human capability but a province of God. It was seen as determining what the thing was to be (or what it is). So, by God giving man the power to name animals, God was allowing Adam to declare their identity.

The name "Adam" means "red clay," so metaphorically we might say that the red clay of the earth determined the type of animals that would exist. Ironically, there is a clay theory for the origin of life. So, perhaps the clay really did "name" the animals.
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Scrotum »

McCulloch wrote:
Scrotum wrote:Indeed that is what i read too. That the ´original´ (pre KJV i guess) version it is clear that "God" is one specific god amongst others...

I begynnelsen skapade Gud himmel och jord.
Och jorden var öde och tom, och mörker var över djupet, och Guds Ande svävade över vattnet.
Och Gud sade: »Varde ljus»; och det vart ljus.
Och Gud såg att ljuset var gott; och Gud skilde ljuset från mörkret.
Och Gud kallade ljuset dag, och mörkret kallade han natt. Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den första dagen.
Och Gud sade: »Varde mitt i vattnet ett fäste som skiljer vatten från vatten.»
Och Gud gjorde fästet, och skilde vattnet under fästet från vattnet ovan fästet; och det skedde så.
Och Gud kallade fästet himmel. Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den andra dagen.
Och Gud sade: »Samle sig det vatten som är under himmelen till en särskild plats, så att det torra bliver synligt.» Och det skedde så.
Och Gud kallade det torra jord, och vattensamlingen kallade han hav. Och Gud såg att det var gott.
Och Gud sade: »Frambringe jorden grönska, fröbärande örter och fruktträd, som efter sina arter bära frukt, vari de hava sitt frö, på jorden.» Och det skedde så; jorden frambragte grönska, fröbärande örter, efter deras arter, och träd som efter sina arter buro frukt, vari de hade sitt frö. Och Gud såg att det var gott.
Och det vart afton, och det vart morgon, den tredje dagen.
How weird to read it in Swedish. I never read the Swedish one before.

I would complain about certain terms used. "gott" would not suit, "bra" would have been better. Mmmm, I guess its translated from the KJV(?) :)
T: ´I do not believe in gravity, it´s just a theory

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Bugmaster »

harvey1 wrote:Naming objects according to the Hebrews was not just a human capability but a province of God. It was seen as determining what the thing was to be (or what it is).
That's pretty neat, and in line with the later chapters of the Bible. It seems that God decided to bestow upon humans his own capacity to create... and that he later regrets this decision, when humans create things he doesn't approve of (or downright fears).

So, does this mean that, ultimately, all humans are mini-Gods ?

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by harvey1 »

Bugmaster wrote:So, does this mean that, ultimately, all humans are mini-Gods ?
I think for at least J that this was true.
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Bugmaster »

harvey1 wrote:I think for at least J that this was true.
Actually, if what you said above is true, then there's no categorical difference between Jesus and the rest of us. Jesus surely had flashier powers, and was probably a nicer person, but that's about it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

Bugmaster wrote:So, does this mean that, ultimately, all humans are mini-Gods ?
harvey1 wrote:I think for at least J that this was true.
Who do you mean by "J"?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John