About the idea of 'Free Will"...

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

About the idea of 'Free Will"...

Post #1

Post by William »

In recent discussion with forum member 'The Tanager' and also in relation to the thread "Did Christ have free will?" where I answered that he did indeed have free will and forum member EBA argued that free will doesn't actually exist - which essentially I eventually had to agree with, given the definition of both 'free' and 'will'.

The end of our interaction went like this:
William wrote: [Replying to post 131 by EBA]
Fair enough. May I ask why you think it is so important that Jesus possess free will?
No, because it does not matter, given you think free will does not exist...for anyone.
As I contemplated the discussion I began to understand that 'free will' is an incorrect description which adds confusion to any discussion about will.

It isn't that people do not have WILL, for they certainly do, but that given our circumstances, our WILL can never be FREE, because our circumstances - our situation in this physical universe in these physical instruments suppresses any true freedom that we might imagine we could experience and so freedom becomes relative.

One can, of course, argue for philosophical ideas to do with ones internal sense of freedom despite the external bondage and that may relate and align more to the idea of 'free will' but in relation to the will and the external reality, isn't it more appropriate to refer to the will, simply as the will without adding confusion to the mix by introducing the word 'free' in front of the word 'will'?

In relation to biblical referencing, is the concept 'free will' to be found within its pages, or is it only ever about the will? I ask this because it is often the case that 'free will' comes into the argument from Christians as if it were relevant and essential to truth, but are they taking liberties in arguing for something they call 'free will' when such does not actually exist, and why argue 'free will' if 'will' would suffice?

Is it because many arguments would fail, if only 'will' was used instead of 'free will'?

Thoughts?

Wootah
Savant

Post #21

Post by Wootah »

I wonder now if that is why people disagree with free market principles and just calling it market principles would be better.

Edit: this is a bit of a thought bubble.
Last edited by Wootah on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Wootah wrote: If you are asking what is the difference between 'will' and 'free will' then i am not sure there is any difference.

The free is probably for emphasis. But we are all skeptical of free things, so i wonder if the objections to free will are actually objections to the word free?
If you read the thread OP and my other posts, you will notice that the objection is not about either word, but about using both words together in order to create a notion which simply isn't necessary and in that, people argue about notions (like 'free-will') which are not even realistic.

Sometimes emphasis is used to distract too, like a magician emphasizing his left hand to take attention off his right.

Wootah
Savant

Post #23

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 22 by William]

I think i agreed that there is no difference between will and free will.

Then i wondered if psychologically we are suspicious of free things and maybe the word free clouds the issue these days more than illuminates.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

William
Savant

A qustion re free will from another thread.

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to post 259 by The Tanager]
My first critique involved the idea of free will. So, we need to see if this term 'free will' plays any role in the rational analysis of our views. You think it questionable saying "will" should suffice. Why do you think that?
I think this is still problematic because the nature of our position in this universe has already assigned us all within the limitations of coercion.

Furthermore, we are all obligated through coercion to support the present systems of disparity, and while some do argue that 'it is only natural' or 'it is not the perfect system but that is what we have to work with' these answers in themselves simply reflect the fact that we are not free.

Thus, if our will is an essential aspect of who we each are within the limitations which we all collectively (objectively) are experiencing, then we need to acknowledge this and in doing so, drop the word 'free' from our vocabulary, especially in relation to the word 'will'. Simply put, our will is not free due to our circumstance.
Why should we just talk of a will instead of talking about whether that will is free or coerced?
Because to do so is to resist acknowledging that we are not actually free. It is a misrepresentation of our actual position, and as such - anything misrepresented but believed in as truth is - eventually - demonstrably not good for us.

We are always in a position of being coerced, one way or another.

That is how we learn, or for that matter - depending on how we are coerced, what we choose to learn.

So we can argue that we have choices, and this would be correct, but all choices are subject to coercion. Some coercion is beneficial and other coercion is not.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #25

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 24 by William]
William wrote:I think this is still problematic because the nature of our position in this universe has already assigned us all within the limitations of coercion.
What are the specific limits of coercion you have in mind?
William wrote:Furthermore, we are all obligated through coercion to support the present systems of disparity, and while some do argue that 'it is only natural' or 'it is not the perfect system but that is what we have to work with' these answers in themselves simply reflect the fact that we are not free.
What are the specific systems of disparity you have in mind?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: About the idea of 'Free Will"...

Post #26

Post by ttruscott »

William wrote:If you would address my arguments so far, that would be unusual, but a step in the best direction.
I stand by post 15...
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to post 25 by The Tanager]
What are the specific limits of coercion you have in mind?
Specifically in relation to our position, here in these forms, here on this planet.
What are the specific systems of disparity you have in mind?
All of them. The systems which presently govern human society.

William
Savant

Post #28

Post by William »

ttruscott wrote:
William wrote:If you would address my arguments so far, that would be unusual, but a step in the best direction.
I stand by post 15...
Which I already addressed and debunked - but here, I will repeat myself.

[Replying to post 15 by ttruscott]
If a hypnotist hypnotises you to always chose the red pill, when you are given the choice to choose the blue or the red pill, are you really choosing the red pill?
Is it the case that we are all hypnotized?
If your dna has given you a taste for seafood over red meat, are you really choosing it when you reject the red meat?
Are you declaring that our dna forces us to choose only seafood? If so, are you also declaring that if we have choices as to which seafood we will eat and which we will not, is that also because of our dna?

Are you saying that dna makes a choice for us? If so are you saying that dna has will, and a consciousness of its own separate from ours?
Or if you grew up in a home that served only red meat and scorned those 'fish eaters', are you really choosing to reject seafood when you choose red meat instead?

Yes, if it is on the basis that you do so because that is what you learned to do ''in the home' and choose to continue in that way.
If, when you were three years old your mother left you for a month with a babysitter while she must attend elsewhere and then in your young adult years your wife goes out with her sister and they are gone 2-3 times longer than they had thought they'd be and your anxiety grows until you decide to phone the police with a possible missing persons report, are you really deciding to do this or are you forced by your emotional history to act this way?
You are choosing to behave this way and be dictated to by your emotions, illogical as they are.
All decisions are indeed by our will but the word free sharply cuts between influences upon our decisons that can be resisted (if we want) and those influences that cannot be resisted and so force us to choose in a certain way. Whether we recognize we are under a compulsion or not has nothing to do with this.
The point being is that either way, forced or resisting force, use of the word 'free' simply to define difference in the way personal will can or cannot be used is misrepresenting the truth of our position, leading us to suppose that actual free will exists.

For example, your own theology says that we are all imprisoned upon this planet. The nature of being in prison is that we are not free. Therefore we cannot have free will.

If you say we can, then you are contradicting your own theology.
A true free will is a will completely free from the influence of any coercive force whatsoever. A partly free will is one only partly coerced by influences in his life but not as fully as the secular definition of our will being absent and the illusion of choosing is only a product of the chemistry of our dna and the effects of our environment...
And as soon as you bring in the extra idea of 'true free will' you imply that the free will you argue we have, is not free at all anyway. It thus has to be a false 'free' will. In that, you contradict yourself again and at the same time agree with my own argument.

iow, there is no ghost in the machine.
We are the ghost in the machine. :)

It is the machine which disallows for free will, while individual will, is still an option.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #29

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 27 by William]
William wrote:Specifically in relation to our position, here in these forms, here on this planet.
As in physical limitations as a species?
William wrote:All of them. The systems which presently govern human society.
As in political governing bodies, religious institutions and that kind of stuff?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by ttruscott »

William wrote:For example, your own theology says that we are all imprisoned upon this planet. The nature of being in prison is that we are not free. Therefore we cannot have free will.

If you say we can, then you are contradicting your own theology.

To bring you back to the program: in every topic about free will such as here, when I mention what I believe about our state of mind here on earth, I have always contended AGAINST HUMANS HAVING A FREE WILL.

You seem to be ignorant about my contentions about free will when for 5 years I've never wavered. After all this time I can only shake my head and sigh... When you start to actually read what I write for an understanding of my thoughts instead of whatever it is you do, we may get somewhere.

Post 3: Given these premises, it is easy to conclude that we do not have freedom to choose any available option here on earth.

Post 7: Yes, I accept the human will is a restricted will.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.