Why should Religion interfere with the secular issues?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #1

Post by paarsurrey1 »

The secular issues are to be managed by the society equitably and with justice to everybody without discrimination of race, color or religion or no-religion. If that is ensured the Religion should not interfere with those who manage/govern/rule the secular issues. Right, please?

Regards

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

Christians are called to kill 'witches'. This isn't really something that can be permitted in a secular society; it's rather fortunate that the Christian religion has so drastically altered that adherents no longer feel compelled to follow the instructions of their holy book when it conflicts with their quality of life.

marco
Savant

Re: Why should Religion interfere with the secular issues?

Post #3

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote: Why should Religion interfere with the secular issues?

The secular issues are to be managed by the society equitably and with justice to everybody without discrimination of race, color or religion or no-religion. If that is ensured the Religion should not interfere with those who manage/govern/rule the secular issues. Right, please?

Regards

In the past Christianity crashed tragically into secular areas, killing many in the process. Today Islam fulfils that role in many Islamic theocracies where Sharia Law holds good. In a discussion with an Egyptian Muslim I was told that apostates from Islam are regarded as traitors, and merit death. So the problem with religion interfering with politics is very much an issue for Islam.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #4

Post by paarsurrey1 »

marco wrote:
paarsurrey1 wrote: Why should Religion interfere with the secular issues?

Regards

In the past Christianity crashed tragically into secular areas, killing many in the process. Today Islam fulfils that role in many Islamic theocracies where Sharia Law holds good. In a discussion with an Egyptian Muslim I was told that apostates from Islam are regarded as traitors, and merit death. So the problem with religion interfering with politics is very much an issue for Islam.
But it is a wrong notion. It is not the teachings of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.
If every citizen of a polity gets equitable justice without discrimination of race, color and or religion/no-religion the One-True-God gives the edict that the rule of the secular law of the state must be obeyed whatever. Religion is for building the character of an individual in the ethical, moral and spiritual realms to attain nearness to One-True-God, such a person obeys the secular laws:

[4:59] Verily, Allah commands you to make over the trusts to those entitled to them, and that, when you judge between men, you judge with justice. And surely excellent is that with which Allah admonishes you! Allah is All-Hearing, All-Seeing.
[4:60] O ye who believe! obey Allah, and obey His Messenger and those who are in authority among you. And if you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger if you are believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is best and most commendable in the end.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... 4&verse=59

Regards

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

paarsurrey1 wrote:

But it is a wrong notion. It is not the teachings of Quran/Islam/Muhammad.
I accept it is not how you interpret things, paarsurrey and if people acted as you suggest, what a nice world we would have! You cannot close your eyes to the violence around us, when people emerge from mosques with ideas taken from imams whose view of the Quran differs from yours.

In France an 85-year old priest, Father Jacques Hamel, had offered his Church for Muslims to use for their worship. Some Muslims attacked and slaughtered him, but spared two nuns because they had read the Quran. I know you disapprove but these people obviously read the Quran and took a view at variance with yours.

I agree that the Bible also has horrible prescriptions in it. Would it not be better for nice people to be nice to each other and forget the religious side of things? I'm sure God needs no adulation.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

The problem seems to be that many public issues have some aspect of morality about them. And religions, for better or worse, have always had a lot to say about morality. And so it is that they want to be consulted on controversial matters, even when these seem to be wholly secular in their nature.

Cheers, 2RM.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 1 by paarsurrey1]

The problem seems to be that many public issues have some aspect of morality about them. And religions, for better or worse, have always had a lot to say about morality. And so it is that they want to be consulted on controversial matters, even when these seem to be wholly secular in their nature.

Cheers, 2RM.
And we framed laws on religious perspectives which meant we were still killing homosexuals in the 19th century and until relatively recently we were putting them in prison. In some devout countries they are sentenced to death. Also in Islamically devout countries that revere the Koran people are killed for blasphemy or stoned for sexual improprieties. Hard to believe in the 21st century!

Religion should be accorded no favours. And religious fanatics should not be allowed to dictate to the general population. But I fear that we will get more religious interference and not less if Islam becomes dominant.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 7 by marco]

Indeed, but I am not sure if that problem is with religion per se, or simply with conservative attitudes that seek endorsement in traditional (read, primitive) religious teachings. Credit it or not, there are some enlightened believers!

Best wishes, 2RM.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote:

Credit it or not, there are some enlightened believers!
I have met them. As a boy I spoke to Jesuits who had answers beyond my adolescent capabilities. I worry not over those people; I worry about the thousands who seek to serve God with knives. and stones.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2ndRateMind »

marco wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:

Credit it or not, there are some enlightened believers!
I have met them. As a boy I spoke to Jesuits who had answers beyond my adolescent capabilities. I worry not over those people; I worry about the thousands who seek to serve God with knives. and stones.

Hmmm.

Point 1) If you need to resort to violence, it is because you have lost the rational argument.

Point 2) If you need to resort to violence, it because you have totally failed to appreciate what God is all about, which is unconditional love.

Let God do as He wills with these malcontents in the due course of eternity; meanwhile we need only defend ourselves and other innocents against them.

Cheers, 2RM.