Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

sue

Lioness Kills Man

Post #1

Post by sue »

Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Re: Lioness Kills Man

Post #41

Post by Nilloc James »

Food.

Natural selection is a cruel master.

TheParticlePerson
Scholar

Post #42

Post by TheParticlePerson »

So we all know how God responds to tests now (he doesn't), but why? Why is it so important to theists to not question his existence? I think a loving deity would encourage people to look for answers.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by Cathar1950 »

He pestered the lion and he looks like food or danger both would make it a proper response on the part of the lion.
The guy was wrong on so many levels you wonder why he didn't have a sane friends or family.
I would think that there could be a case made for God giving him brains and he should have used hem instead of putting God to such a stupid and crazy test.
Maybe God didn't save him because He couldn't believe His eyes and didn't believe he would annoy and feed him. Does God really want or need believers running around like that preaching? It is probably for the best.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TheParticlePerson wrote:So we all know how God responds to tests now (he doesn't), but why? Why is it so important to theists to not question his existence? I think a loving deity would encourage people to look for answers.
It could be that God has a sense of humor. Or irony. Or He just doesn't care.

I say Darwin wins another round.

lorene

Post #45

Post by lorene »

sue wrote:

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

bored?...

Humble Bystander
Student

Post #46

Post by Humble Bystander »

Wyvern wrote:

I don't know why but she should be rewarded for improving the gene pool. This guy definately deserves a darwin award.
Well-said. This also demonstrates why religion is so dangerous. But I guess since "God helps those who help themselves", his death wish was fulfilled.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #47

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Read the quote of what he said. He expressed a modicum of doubt in the existence of god. Thus he was punished.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

madfrog
Student

Post #48

Post by madfrog »

This reminds me of the oft told joke that was once quoted by Will Smith's son in The Pursuit of Happyness. The joke goes something like this:

"A man fell off a bridge into a river. A boater, seeing him in the water asked him if he wanted help but the man replied, 'No, God will save me.' Another boat came to help the man but he refused help, saying, 'No thank you; God will save me.' Finally, a helicopter flew overhead, but the man still refused, saying God would save him. In the end, the man drowns and goes to Heaven. When he gets up there, he says to God, 'God, I believed. Why didn't you save me?' God said, 'What are you talking about? I sent two boats and a helicopter!'"

Kudos to whoever said this guy deserves a Darwin Award.

My question to believers: If Heaven is so wonderful and you get to go there after you die, why would someone want to be saved from a lion attack or drowning?[/u]
‎"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don''t matter, and those who matter don''t mind." -Dr. Seuss

Angel

Post #49

Post by Angel »

sue wrote:

Source

The easy answer is the guy was an idiot. The Christian answer would probably be that God doesn't want people testing him in unnecessary ways. The guy did not have to go into the enclosure and had no business there. I question if this guy was even a Christian in the first place.

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by RobertUrbanek »

In Egyptian mythology, when men became evil and disrespectful of Ra, the sun god sent his daughter, the lioness goddess Sekhmet, to devour them.
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche