Apprentice

Comebacks I wish I'd said

Post #1

Post by Tim the Skeptic »

I believe it was Cephus who suggested the following:

Xtian: I will pray for you.

Xthiest: Thanks, I will think for you.

I was in an adult eduction class at church once when the pastor said:

Pastor: Theologians say that the opposite of rationalism is faith.

WISHS: That's funny, rationalists say the the opposite of rationalism is superstition.

Not soon after, I stopped going to church and have wisely used my Sunday mornings for sleeping, reading the paper and drinking coffee. And WISHS is my acronym for: What I Should Have Said.

Please add any other one-liner arguements. One can never have enough.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Comebacks I wish I'd said

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

What is it that you want to achieve with the one liners and comebacks? I have found that they generally do not lead to anything meaningful. Is it that you want to belittle someone and feel superior for putting them in their place or do you just watch too much television and believe that this is normal human interaction?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #3

I know that television isn't normal human interaction.

Debating on the Internet is.

Have a nice day and thanks for personal attack.

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #4

Oh, and another thing.

Which television show was it where the protagonist said:

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: Comebacks I wish I'd said

Post #5

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:What is it that you want to achieve with the one liners and comebacks? I have found that they generally do not lead to anything meaningful. Is it that you want to belittle someone and feel superior for putting them in their place or do you just watch too much television and believe that this is normal human interaction?
Most of the time, anywhere that you'd use a one-liner is against arguments so abjectly stupid that they don't deserve anything else. They aren't going to lead to anything meaningful because the argument wasn't meaningful to begin with.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Tim the Skeptic wrote:I know that television isn't normal human interaction.
Debating on the Internet is.
Have a nice day and thanks for personal attack.
But one-liners and snappy comebacks are not debate. I was simply trying to find out the motivation for asking for one-liners and snappy comebacks. Can you deny that such statements, such as "I'll think for you." as a response to "I'll pray for you".

The overriding principle on this forum is respect. Respect for others is of high importance here. Also, building respect among fellow debaters will get you far. Now please tell me how asking for ways to insult and belittle theists is showing respect.

It is ironic that the one who is asking for help to find ways to insult others is the one who complains about a personal attack. hmmm.
Gospel of John

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #7

McCulloch,

Irony abounds. I find it ironic that a moderator of an INTERNET debate forum is scolding anyone about normal human interaction.

Also, while it may not be your style, one-liners can make people think. For example, the story of Jesus saving an adulterous woman from a stoning. Do you think the story would have worked with a long debate about capital punishment? No. After two minutes, the crowd would have started tossing boulders.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow

Tim the Skeptic
Apprentice

Post #8

Another irony alert:

You want forum members to show respect and not belittle others, yet you suggest I'm just somebody who watches too much television.

Seemed a little belittling.

Et tu, moderator?

You and I disagree about one-liners. I don't believe they are necessarily belittling. If I had said one liner about rationalism would it have been belittling? I don't think so. I believe it might have shown the pastor that his statement could go both ways. In a memorable way.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Cathar1950 »

Hermits are people that make the world a better place all by themselves.
I made that up one day while I was thinking about being a hermit but I gave up the idea because I was attached to my tv, computer, cable, frig, soft warm bed, coffee at the cafe, the library, my books and light at night to read. I am so weak.
Another one was "a perfectionist is someone with one more fault".
Another one we use to like was "she maybe ugly but she is stupid" this usually refered to our dates. I found out she wasn't that stupid, she dumped me. Then again I am not that pretty.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

Tim the Skeptic wrote:Another irony alert:

You want forum members to show respect and not belittle others, yet you suggest I'm just somebody who watches too much television.

Seemed a little belittling.

Et tu, moderator?

You and I disagree about one-liners. I don't believe they are necessarily belittling. If I had said one liner about rationalism would it have been belittling? I don't think so. I believe it might have shown the pastor that his statement could go both ways. In a memorable way.
Touché.

Now you have presented a real challenge. You are asking for witty memorable and short comebacks which are not belittleing.
Gospel of John