What do you mean "God talks to you"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

OccamsRazor
Scholar

What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #1

Post by OccamsRazor »

I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:
1) God actually speaks (in their chosen language) as a voice in their head.
2) They see some spectacle of natural magnificence (such as a sunset or a rare wild bird) and interprets this as a form of communication from God.
3) They experience a feeling of elation or happiness and interpret this as some message from God.

In cases 2 & 3 is there not a more justifiable explanation than the voice of God?

Are there any other conduits for the voice of God?

So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?

[Edited: corrected spelling mistakes - then realised that I should have used the handy 'spellcheck' button #-o ]
Last edited by OccamsRazor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

adlemi
Apprentice

The Lord is still talking with the people today as in the...

Post #11

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:
adlemi wrote:[quote="KnowJah"
]No one is so special that God speaks directly to them. He does help them when they pray to him but only if it is according to his will.
God talked to Moses, Elijah, Abraham, Peter, Paul, etc. as we can read in the bible, do you disagree with what is written in those certain passages of the bible? Maybe the word "directly" which I used confuse your understanding of what I am saying.
I meant in our time. He did that in the past but in these "last days" which the bible refers to the time we are living in, it takes faith, and God doesnt show himself anymore. He is however near to those calling to him but as mentioned in the scripture, all the special gifts were done away with. Now we are awaiting the arrival of Jesus and Armageddon which God will manifest himself to the world.[/i]
Why is it that we are able to talk with the Lord Jesus Christ today and the Lord Jesus is our present Good Pastor and Teacher who teaches us about the bible, about the identity and attributes of Himself, about what will happen in the future, about the explanation of bible verses especially in the book of the Revelation, and many more as well as miracles and reading of our minds and heart? The Lord Jesus is alive and real and is just besides you right now.

KnowJah
Student

Post #12

Post by KnowJah »

Yes, Jesus and God does that, because it is according to God's will.
But he doesnt appear physically to you, he guides you yes, but we dont see visions or revelations, but we can read about it in the bible.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:Yes, Jesus and God does that, because it is according to God's will.
But he doesnt appear physically to you, he guides you yes, but we dont see visions or revelations, but we can read about it in the bible.
When the Almighty Lord God manifested in the flesh born of Mary, said flesh was made known to people then in the name of Jesus or Emmanuel but it does not mean that the Almighty Lord God appeared to people physically. It was only the flesh born of Mary that was visible to the eyes of the people but not God physically for they should have all died should that be the case.

Same is true in our case today that we do not see the Lord physically, but the Lord uses a way for Him to communicate with us via two-way communication like that with Moses and/or Paul. It is not thru the bible but through actual communication with God.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

adlemi wrote:When the Almighty Lord God manifested in the flesh born of Mary, said flesh was made known to people then in the name of Jesus or Emmanuel but it does not mean that the Almighty Lord God appeared to people physically. It was only the flesh born of Mary that was visible to the eyes of the people but not God physically for they should have all died should that be the case.

Same is true in our case today that we do not see the Lord physically, but the Lord uses a way for Him to communicate with us via two-way communication like that with Moses and/or Paul. It is not thru the bible but through actual communication with God.
KnowJah wrote:But he doesnt appear physically to you, he guides you yes, but we dont see visions or revelations, but we can read about it in the bible.
Why is it that people who claim to believe the biblical narrative have a problem with this? How many examples are there in the Bible of God speaking directly to humans? From Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, various kings and prophets, Jesus and the apostles. Yet, the majority of Christians seem to behave as if, this once somewhat talkative God, all of a sudden silenced himself and would now only speak through his written word, in an age where literacy was not as pervasive as it is now.
To me that would seem quite strange. Christians who support such a counter-intutive behaviour in their God should be compelled to provide evidence to support such a theory. If there is a God and if that God spoke directly to the ancients, then, I would think that He would speak directly to people now, unless there were some very compelling evidence to the contrary.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by adlemi »

McCulloch wrote:
adlemi wrote:When the Almighty Lord God manifested in the flesh born of Mary, said flesh was made known to people then in the name of Jesus or Emmanuel but it does not mean that the Almighty Lord God appeared to people physically. It was only the flesh born of Mary that was visible to the eyes of the people but not God physically for they should have all died should that be the case.

KnowJah wrote:But he doesnt appear physically to you, he guides you yes, but we dont see visions or revelations, but we can read about it in the bible.
McCulloch wrote:Why is it that people who claim to believe the biblical narrative have a problem with this?
The reason is simple, they believe in the bible but not with God as to how God does really exist - Conceptualized belief only of a biblical believer.
McCulloch wrote: How many examples are there in the Bible of God speaking directly to humans? From Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, various kings and prophets, Jesus and the apostles. Yet, the majority of Christians seem to behave as if, this once somewhat talkative God, all of a sudden silenced himself and would now only speak through his written word, in an age where literacy was not as pervasive as it is now.
They are all over the faces of the globe and they are truly being enslaved by the so called written scriptures discovered by men.
McCulloch wrote: To me that would seem quite strange.

Indeed it is.
McCulloch wrote:Christians who support such a counter-intutive behaviour in their God should be compelled to provide evidence to support such a theory.

Should they be able to do that? I hope they can.
McCulloch wrote:If there is a God and if that God spoke directly to the ancients, then, I would think that He would speak directly to people now,
Which is exactly how God really exists in all ages.

KnowJah
Student

Post #16

Post by KnowJah »

The reason I believe that God does not cause people to see "revelations and visions" because I believe that we are in what the bible refers to as "the last days" or the "time of the end." All the prophecies of the bible are almost fulfilled. I understand throughly the prophecy in Daniel and Matthew and Revelations concerning what will occur in the last days.

Also no one can say today that they have 'seen' God. But of course I know of countless experiences in my family and in my congrgation that I know are by God's backing.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #17

Post by adlemi »

KnowJah wrote:The reason I believe that God does not cause people to see "revelations and visions" because I believe that we are in what the bible refers to as "the last days" or the "time of the end." All the prophecies of the bible are almost fulfilled. I understand throughly the prophecy in Daniel and Matthew and Revelations concerning what will occur in the last days.

Also no one can say today that they have 'seen' God. But of course I know of countless experiences in my family and in my congrgation that I know are by God's backing.
The Number One Enemy of anyone in coming to and knowing God intimately is his own wisdom and knowledge.

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by Sleepy »

McCulloch wrote:

Why is it that people who claim to believe the biblical narrative have a problem with this? How many examples are there in the Bible of God speaking directly to humans? From Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, various kings and prophets, Jesus and the apostles. Yet, the majority of Christians seem to behave as if, this once somewhat talkative God, all of a sudden silenced himself and would now only speak through his written word, in an age where literacy was not as pervasive as it is now.
To me that would seem quite strange. Christians who support such a counter-intutive behaviour in their God should be compelled to provide evidence to support such a theory. If there is a God and if that God spoke directly to the ancients, then, I would think that He would speak directly to people now, unless there were some very compelling evidence to the contrary.
Disturbing though it is to me to mention the next two examples given my line of work (with some people that 'hear' voices).

Firstly an ex-atheist friend of mine who fervently denied the existence of God was challenged to say a prayer asking if God existed. He was surprised by an audible voice saying 'Follow me' and now works full time as an apologist. (Why I ask people if I can pray for them - I believe it works)

Secondly my own grandfather who is now 90 years old. He was walking down the street on his way to work at Rolls Royce at the age of 20 and heard an audible voice saying 'Eric become a Christian', there was nobody on the street and it was open fields around him, so he went to church that sunday and did.

In both cases having asked them directly, neither of them have heard any other voices besides these instances.

Now I realise both of these are subjective and therefore potentially refutable by anyone (who like me and Thomas) likes to have objective evidence of things (such as an isolated event of TLE). An equally plausable option is however that God or a messenger of God did indeed speak to them. But it does illustrate how at least to the best of my knowledge, these things may still be happening.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by McCulloch »

Sleepy wrote:Firstly an ex-atheist friend of mine who fervently denied the existence of God was challenged to say a prayer asking if God existed. He was surprised by an audible voice saying 'Follow me' and now works full time as an apologist. (Why I ask people if I can pray for them - I believe it works)
In both cases having asked them directly, neither of them have heard any other voices besides these instances.
You have my permission to ask your God to speak audibly and unambiguously to me. I'll let you know if something happens.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by adlemi »

Sleepy wrote:
Hence no reason at all to conclude that God did really speak to them. What both of them must had done was to ask who that voice was?