For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Sweet~T
Banned
Banned

After Death

Post #1

Post by Sweet~T »

To start this my question is simple, how can so many people be so absolutely sure about what happens after death when we have yet to die and find out?
This is not specifically aimed at christians, for every religious personclaims to know this.
Show me a man Ican conversate with that was dead for over a week, found out for sure, and came back to let us all know.
Sorry if my remarks seem inflammatory, merely used to being defensive, because I am from the 'Bible Belt' and anytime in my life if I have asked a question or disaggreed I have been shot down. Brutally. Made to feel ignorant, even even treated subhuman for not believing. This forum is the first time I've been allowed to question freely.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: After Death

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Sweet~T wrote: To start this my question is simple, how can so many people be so absolutely sure about what happens after death when we have yet to die and find out?
This is not specifically aimed at christians, for every religious personclaims to know this.
Show me a man Ican conversate with that was dead for over a week, found out for sure, and came back to let us all know.
Sorry if my remarks seem inflammatory, merely used to being defensive, because I am from the 'Bible Belt' and anytime in my life if I have asked a question or disaggreed I have been shot down. Brutally. Made to feel ignorant, even even treated subhuman for not believing. This forum is the first time I've been allowed to question freely.

Good question. I don't see any evidence there is an afterlife. The only way I see of getting that information is dying, and I am not willing to die and get that question answered for me just yet.

So, worrying about the afterlife really don't matter to me. I am going to just do the best I can in this one..and I'll worry about an afterlife after I am dead, if there is one.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by Sweet~T]

What happens after death is well understood and has been studied to death (so to speak). See Mary Roach's book Stiff for example. http://www.maryroach.net/stiff.html
Out behind the University of Tennessee Medical center is a lovely, forested grove with squirrels leaping in the branches of hickory trees and birds calling and patches of green grass where people lie on their backs in the sun, or sometimes in the shade, depending on where the researchers put them.

This pleasant Knoxville hillside is a field research facility, the only one in the world dedicated to the study of human decay. The people lying in the sun are dead.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Beth1
Student

Post #4

Post by Beth1 »

You go to heaven and heaven is what each person dreams that it will be is my feeling.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

Beth1 wrote:You go to heaven and heaven is what each person dreams that it will be is my feeling.
Thank you for that completely unsupported opinion. Is there anything that makes you believe that this feeling is anything more than wishful thinking?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Sweet~T
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Sweet~T »

Beth1 wrote: You go to heaven and heaven is what each person dreams that it will be is my feeling.
I straight love that answer even though I am unsure of heaven. It is easy to enjoy the beauty in the simplicity of the honesty in this.

Sweet~T
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Sweet~T »

McCulloch wrote:
Beth1 wrote:You go to heaven and heaven is what each person dreams that it will be is my feeling.
Thank you for that completely unsupported opinion. Is there anything that makes you believe that this feeling is anything more than wishful thinking?
Does a personal opinion of stated philosophy need proof? Sure in a debate this can't hold, but as stated philosophy it is better then any religion has stated it.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by connermt »

Sweet~T wrote: To start this my question is simple, how can so many people be so absolutely sure about what happens after death when we have yet to die and find out?
People will accept and believe what they want - what tickles their fancy as it were. Sometimes it's lasting, other times it's fleeting. If someone really wants to believe 1+1=apple they can. Over time, they can even convince themselves of it to be true, to varying degrees of success.
Some people believe you can converse with the dead - some even claim to. And some are convincing. Is it possible? Maybe - I don't know but I would suspect we're capable of a lot more than we think.
What happens after death? No one knows - NO ONE. Religious people believe this or that - they even say they 'know' but the confuse the word 'know' with 'believe' many times in an effort to assure themselves they are right and thus, at peace with their belief system.

jerryxplu
Student

Post #9

Post by jerryxplu »

The whole case of afterlife is base on faith really. Although to be fair, many christians claimed have seen their heaven while other religion follower seen their version of heaven of their religion (near death experience). I think we just die and decompose after we die like rest of the living beings. PS. There have been different claims of Hell as well like the different hell according to different belief. One of which was made famous by some monk talking about the tour he took in hell. Kind of interesting.

Hezekiah_Holbrooke
Student

Post #10

Post by Hezekiah_Holbrooke »

Surely you jest here. Have you not attended a funeral? It's handled in different ways. Usually church members, family members, and members of the neighborhood or community bring food over to the grieving family's home and after the funeral, everyone pigs out.

Soon everyone gets into a big fight over the estate or the will.

The one who passed just lies there in his grave unless cremated or something until the worms and vermin eat him away.

Dead is as dead is.

Then the resurrection.