Right response of the RCC?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

bjs
Prodigy

Right response of the RCC?

Post #1

Post by bjs »

A human rights group has recently demanded that the Roman Catholic Church make public every accusation of sexual abuse against any priest and that those priests be turn over to civil authorities to be prosecuted. Should the Catholic Church comply?

I am torn on this issue.

On the one hand, sexual abuse is a serious sin and those who are guilty should be prosecuted.

On the other hand, the secular culture is obviously still in the midst of a witch hunt against Catholic priests. A single unfounded accusation is enough to destroy a priest’s carrier and may be enough for him to face criminal charges. On top of this, the overwhelming majority of accusations, at least in the USA, are about events that took place 30 to 50 years ago. This gives the priest no chance of a defense. If someone says, “You abused me last week,� the priest might reasonable have an alibi and be able to prove his innocence. However, if someone says, “You abused me 40 years ago,� then there is virtually no way that the priest can defend himself.

From a Christian perspective, what should the Roman Catholic Church do in this case?

puddleglum
Sage

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

Christians are commanded to obey the laws of the countries we live in as long as those laws don't conflict with God's commands. If a priest is guilty of violating the law the civil authorities should be informed. However it would be wrong to reveal information about accusations that haven't been proved.

Ultimately we will all have to answer to God and all the evil that has been done will be exposed and judged.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Right response of the RCC?

Post #3

Post by EduChris »

bjs wrote:A human rights group has recently demanded that the Roman Catholic Church make public every accusation of sexual abuse against any priest and that those priests be turn over to civil authorities to be prosecuted. Should the Catholic Church comply?...
What is preventing the civil authorities from prosecuting anyone who is accused of sexual abuse? What would be gained by the Catholic Church making public any particular accusation if the accuser(s) haven't already gone to the civil authorities? Certainly the Church should make every effort to comply with the civil authorities, but I'm not sure what this "human rights group" thinks it will accomplish if their request were to be granted.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ttruscott »

bjs wrote:

On the other hand, the secular culture is obviously still in the midst of a witch hunt against Catholic priests. A single unfounded accusation is enough to destroy a priest’s carrier and may be enough for him to face criminal charges.

I have never notice a single unfounded charge being enough to destroy a priest's character.

Please provide details or withdraw as hyperbole.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

ttruscott wrote:
bjs wrote:

On the other hand, the secular culture is obviously still in the midst of a witch hunt against Catholic priests. A single unfounded accusation is enough to destroy a priest’s carrier and may be enough for him to face criminal charges.

I have never notice a single unfounded charge being enough to destroy a priest's character.

Please provide details or withdraw as hyperbole.

Peace, Ted
Ted there was a case in Chicago I believe, where a Cardinal was falsely accused, and the accuser admited it was a false charge, and the Cardinal forgave him.

This Cardinal had since passed on, and wrote a highly acclaimed book about dying. I forget his name, maybe someone can refresh my memory.

Another priest was convicted and was murdered IN prison in an extremely brutal way. I think he deserved his conviction, but not for another criminal, a murderer, to take the law into his own hands like this.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.