Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 7

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Spong

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

99percentatheism wrote: Comparing Spong's writings to that of the New Testament authors and it is easy to see his work existing in common heretical movements. He has evolved more out of and away from Christian reality and more like embraced standard secular humanism.
Is Spong still a Christian? Does his writings convey the message of Jesus Christ and his apostles or is he an advocate of secular Humanism?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Having read Spong, I find that he is very clear and eloquent when discussing what he does not believe and why he does not believe those things. However whenever he attempts to explain what he does believe, it becomes to me a word salad. Even in the book entitled, "Here I Stand" where one might expect a positive explanation of his beliefs, what he actually believes is still not clear to me.

But when he explains why he does not believe in the resurrection, the virgin birth, the miracles or a host of other traditional Christian beliefs, he could just as easily be Bertrand Russell or Richard Dawkins.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Re: Spong

Post #3

Post by Jax Agnesson »

McCulloch wrote:
Is Spong still a Christian? Does his writings convey the message of Jesus Christ and his apostles or is he an advocate of secular Humanism?
Would the answer 'both' make any sense?
Is the supposed message of Jesus, in a modern and liberal interpretation, any different from that of secular Humanism?
(Apart from the bit about his father in heaven, of course!)

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Post #4

Post by Jax Agnesson »

By way of analogy:
Many economists have described themselves as 'Marxist'. By this they may mean no more than that they accept, broadly, the labour theory of value.
Some philosophers have described themselves as 'Marxist'. By this they may mean no more than that they accept the concept of dialectical materialism.
Many political thinkers and activists have described themselves as 'Marxist'.
The earbuzzing whines and snipes that go on between the various political groupings and sects who claim to be Marxist was splendidly captured in this scene from The life of Brian

Isn't Christianity is something of a similar pickle today?

shnarkle
Guru

Re: Spong

Post #5

Post by shnarkle »

McCulloch wrote:
99percentatheism wrote: Comparing Spong's writings to that of the New Testament authors and it is easy to see his work existing in common heretical movements. He has evolved more out of and away from Christian reality and more like embraced standard secular humanism.
I just finished reading his book on John's gospel. He has a confusing argument that goes something like this: The gospel was written by a Jewish mystic and cannot be interpreted literally. He then proceeds to interpret and come to conclusions based on a literal interpretation; go figure. He claims that dogmatic statements are worthless, but then proceeds to make dogmatic statements. He claims that the gospel should be interpreted independently without any regard for what any other gospels say. He then proceeds to compare it to the other gospels and finds it "inconceivable" that John has no infancy narrative. Given the notorious reputation that John's gospel has of portraying Jesus as God I wondered if his pun was intentional, or how he could miss that the gods aren't born. I wouldn't characterize him as a Christian.