Street Preaching

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

FIGHT ON

Street Preaching

Post #1

Post by FIGHT ON »

I'm interested in what people thing of street preachers. Have you ever preached on a street corner? What do you think when you see one? Why wouldn't you be one? etc.

janavoss
Apprentice

Re: Street Preaching

Post #2

Post by janavoss »

FIGHT ON wrote: I'm interested in what people thing of street preachers. Have you ever preached on a street corner? What do you think when you see one? Why wouldn't you be one? etc.
I did it once. Not on a street corner exactly, but a very public place. Everyone listened for a few minutes, then went back to what they were doing.

For me, it was mostly an exercise in overcoming specific fears and insecurities. I don't think street preaching is a terribly effective way of reaching people.

Dokimas
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Dokimas »

FIGHT ON wrote: I'm interested in what people thing of street preachers. Have you ever preached on a street corner? What do you think when you see one? Why wouldn't you be one? etc.
I've done it many times before. I'm not sure of the results. Do we ever really know what happens in the hearts of others.

If one preaches the simple Gospel or shares a good Gospel tract, then the Holy Spirit can use that in the lives of the hearers or takers, but only to the degree they become open to the Gospel.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

They are exercising freedom of speech - I say allow them.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #5

Post by A Troubled Man »

janavoss wrote: I don't think street preaching is a terribly effective way of reaching people.
This.

Valarian
Student

Post #6

Post by Valarian »

Matthew 6: 1-8 - I read this passage as saying that the practice is not what is intended when Jesus asked his disciples to go out and teach as he had taught. Jesus taught when challenged or asked, and usually told a parable to approach the teaching indirectly.

Funnily enough, I've recently written on the subject:
http://newmeetingminds.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... rners.html
"The kingdom of heaven is within. It is in the spirit, the temper of the heart, the disposition, the life. And the secret of it is in cultivating love and truth and tenderness and care, those things which bring us into intimate connection with which we mean when we say, Be unselfish, and that in doing this we find our own souls." ~ Our Unitarian Gospel, Minot J. Savage

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Post #7

Post by Jax Agnesson »

I want to make a confession. I once did a terrible thing to a couple of street preachers.
I was meandering thru town, on my own and with plenty of time to spare, when I was accosted by the female half of a preaching pair.
'Have you accepted Jesus into your heart?' she demanded.
'No thanks, love.' I smiled. 'I'm an atheist' and turned to walk away. She seized my sleeve (well, maybe she just laid a hand lightly on my upper arm, but I felt arrested, albeit in the nicest possible way.) I explained that I didn't want to waste her time, but that I was not a candidate for conversion; which she took as a challenge. Not being in a hurry, I relented and agreed to debate with her for a while. But as we talked a devil whispered a naughty plan in my inner ear.
Gradually I began to feign 'conversion'. I conceded a point here, a point there. I adopted a facial expression of attention and of growing credulity. I stopped arguing and started listening, then nodding, and finally I began testifying to the crowd, very loudly proclaiming that this holy woman had worked a miracle on me. That I had been a lost soul, but the grace of God had worked though this chosen one. I made a fair imitation (in my own estimation) of an Americaln televangelist, emphasising words like "Jeeee-Zusss!" and "Gaaa-aad!" and exclaiming that "This Ho--olywoman has Saaayved mah Soo-oul this day!!"
She and her partner, obviously embarrassed, started hurrying away.
I have often recalled that long-ago afternoon, and felt a twinge of guilt. So now I'm confessing; I am not always a very nice person.
Do not approach me with improbable tales, I might take them too seriously.

Darias
Guru

Post #8

Post by Darias »

Nilloc James wrote: They are exercising freedom of speech - I say allow them.
It's not really up for a vote. Sometimes its harmful, sometimes its amusing, but they get to do it without our consent -- it's their life to waste. good luck to em.