A comment made at the LDS conference today

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

One of the leaders of the LDS church made a comment without any supporting evidence today at theSemiannual Conference.

An Apostle of the church said that the LDS members, and mainly the missionaries, are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the bible. This made me ask the question,are they? When is was member I found the knowledge of the bible lacking considerably amongst the members and the missionaries. Here were talking about 19-21 year old males and 21-23 year old females.

I think that atheists that used to be christian know the bible better than most christians. On this debate site I have found atheists to usually be more knowledgable. Christians on here are highly knowledgeable as well, and the LDS I have debated are lacking that knowledge.

What do you say? Are the LDS more knowledgeable?

Who seems to have the most bible knowledge?

Do atheists have a leg in this argument?

help3434
Guru

Re: Re:

Post #51

Post by help3434 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm
Nickman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm 100% percent of people have died who have ever lived. Even Christians must agree, because Jesus died.
Christian mormons believe that:

1) Cain is still alive and is Bigfoot now.
More like folklore than doctrine
The Nice Centurion wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm 2) Original apostles John, James and Andrew are still alive.
(Of course that contradicts another mormon doctrine. How then was it possible for them to appear as visions to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to give them two sorts of priesthood.)
Its just John that supposedly did not die. and PETER James and John that appeared, but yeah doesn't really make sense.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: Re:

Post #52

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to help3434 in post #51]
Thank you, yes.
Peter James and John appeared to JS and OC.
Also John Baptist appeared to them.

Mormon Doctrine has John original apostle still being alive.
But also parts of mainstream christianity believe he is still alive.

At least mormon folklore may have at least three original apostle still alive. I have to research.

If so, it must be the case that Peter, James and John visited IN PERSON Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and the two assumed in error that it was a vision.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #53

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Nickman wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm One of the leaders of the LDS church made a comment without any supporting evidence today at theSemiannual Conference.

An Apostle of the church said that the LDS members, and mainly the missionaries, are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the bible. This made me ask the question,are they? When is was member I found the knowledge of the bible lacking considerably amongst the members and the missionaries. Here were talking about 19-21 year old males and 21-23 year old females.

I think that atheists that used to be christian know the bible better than most christians. On this debate site I have found atheists to usually be more knowledgable. Christians on here are highly knowledgeable as well, and the LDS I have debated are lacking that knowledge.

What do you say? Are the LDS more knowledgeable?

Who seems to have the most bible knowledge?

Do atheists have a leg in this argument?
The Hypocrisy from a LDS an' especially from a LDS apostle could not possibly be greater.

It is LDS who hide the JOSEPH SMITH BIBLE (or how they call it: INSPIRED VERSION) under their beds to be better accepted as a sect in mainstream christianity.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"