Moderator: Moderators

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

The Gay Denomination?

Post #1

Post by 99percentatheism »

The Gay Denomination.

For those people that desire same gender sexual behavior or thoughts, AND that claim to be a Christian and claim that their beliefs and theology can fit the New Testament witness, instead of waging an endless, fruitless and vicious war on other Christians - that will NEVER accept their gay doctrines and dogmas . . ., - why won't they just declare a new and alternative denomination, just like Watch Tower theological adherants and Mormons?

Why the need to join forces with anti-Christian and secularist movements to attack "Bible believing" Christians?

Afterall, in referencing the New Testament, there is no justifiable comparison of sex acts to being a slave (slavery), or the charge of bigotry and hatefulness in holding that marriage is a man and a woman.

Why not just start an "Out and Proud" Gay Denomination?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #1931

Post by Danmark »

marketandchurch wrote: Education is overvalued, and utterly worthless in 90% of US colleges.
Is that really what you meant to say? That Education is 'overvalued' and 'utterly worthless' in 90% of our colleges? That is a statement Marketandchurch wants to stand behind? I know you have no facts or studies or anything else to back up this incredibly 'broad sweeping statement.' What's actually funny is that you make such an outrageously inaccurate 'broad sweeping statement' while you routinely decry the use of 'broad sweeping statements.'

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #1932

Post by marketandchurch »

Danmark wrote:
marketandchurch wrote: Education is overvalued, and utterly worthless in 90% of US colleges.
Is that really what you meant to say? That Education is 'overvalued' and 'utterly worthless' in 90% of our colleges? That is a statement Marketandchurch wants to stand behind? I know you have no facts or studies or anything else to back up this incredibly 'broad sweeping statement.' What's actually funny is that you make such an outrageously inaccurate 'broad sweeping statement' while you routinely decry the use of 'broad sweeping statements.'
I do stand by what I meant to say. lol. I meant to say that 90% of the material taught at 90% of our colleges, is junk, and 90% of our college students are enrolled in an overvalued, and utterly worthless education. What % of all students enrolled in a post-secondary education, do you think are enrolled in a STEM field, or, in a field with a starving jobs market? In proportion to art students, english majors, non-specific business majors, sociology majors, etc? There is no comparison.

I don't see any benefit to the social sciences, or the Humanities, which is what most people are enrolled in. They generally leave college, and jump fields entirely, into something else, instead of staying in that area that they had taken 50,000 in loans for a worthless associates degree. The job market is not receptive to these graduates, who major in psychology, or economics, two pointless fields unless you specialize in it and you go all the way for your masters or even better, your PHD. I also don't see any worth in a business degree. They are so broad based, they don't really teach entrepreneurship that is anything more meaningful then an internship running a business. The Trillion dollar student loan deficit is mostly a waisted loss, that will never be recovered. It is a transfer of wealth, out of the middle class, that will never be reinvested into the private economy.

The 10% I hold out for are those involved in vocational training, that is industry backed, for high-skill labor, or career paths that are facing severe shortages. From being a Doctor, to a Software Engineer, CNC Machining, to Carpentry, and Welding. The 10% of the nation's college students who are enrolled in such programs are the future of this country. We don't need another Economics major. Or another Psychology major. Or another anthropology major. Or another Architecture major. Or another Sociology major.

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #1933

Danmark wrote:

You might enjoy this, it gave me a good laugh:

• THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP THIS ASTEROID IS YOUR LIBERAL ARTS DEGREE.

BY MIKE LACHER

- - - -
    By now you’re probably wondering what this is all about, why FBI agents pulled you out of your barista job, threw you on a helicopter, and brought you to NASA headquarters. There’s no time, so I’ll shoot it to you straight. You’ve seen the news reports. What hit New York wasn’t some debris from an old satellite. There’s an asteroid the size of Montana heading toward Earth and if it hits us, the planet is over. But we’ve got one last-ditch plan. We need a team to land on the surface of the asteroid, drill a nuclear warhead one mile into its core, and get out before it explodes. And you’re just the liberal arts major we need to lead that team.

Sure, we’ve got dozens of astronauts, physicists, and demolitions experts. I’ll be damned if we didn’t try to train our best men for this mission. But just because they can fly a shuttle and understand higher-level astrophysics doesn’t mean they can execute a unique mission like this. Anyone can learn how to land a spacecraft on a rocky asteroid flying through space at twelve miles per second. I don’t need some pencilneck with four Ph.D’s, one-thousand hours of simulator time, and the ability to operate a robot crane in low-Earth orbit. I need someone with four years of broad-but-humanities-focused studies, three subsequent years in temp jobs, and the ability to reason across multiple areas of study. I need someone who can read The Bell Jar and make strong observations about its representations of mental health and the repression of women. Sure, you’ve never even flown a plane before, but with only ten days until the asteroid hits, there’s no one better to nuke an asteroid.

I’ve seen your work and it’s damn impressive. Your midterm paper on the semiotics of Band of Outsiders turned a lot of heads at mission control. Your performance in Biology For Non-Science Majors was impressive, matched only by your mastery of second-year Portuguese. And a lot of the research we do here couldn’t have happened without your groundbreaking work on suburban malaise and its representation and repression in John Hughes’ films. I hope you’re still that good, because when you’re lowering a hydrogen bomb into a craggy mass of flying astronomic death with barely any gravity, you’re going to need to draw on all the multidisciplinary reason and analysis you’ve got.

Don’t think I don’t have my misgivings about sending some hotshot Asian Studies minor into space for the first time. This is NASA, not Grinnell. I don’t have the time or patience for your renegade attitude and macho bravado. I can’t believe the fate of mankind rests on some roughneck bachelor of the arts. I know your type. You feed off the thrill of inference and small, instructor-led discussion. You think you’re some kind of invincible God just because you have cursory understandings of Buddhism, classical literature, and introductory linguistics. Well listen up, cowboy. You make one false move up there, be it a clumsy thesis statement, poorly reasoned argument, or glib analysis, and your team is dead, along with this whole sorry planet.

I’ve wasted enough time with chatter. Let’s get you over to mission control. Our avionics team needs your help getting their paper on gender politics in The Matrix properly cited in MLA format.
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the- ... rts-degree

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #1934

Post by Danmark »

marketandchurch wrote:
Danmark wrote:
I do stand by what I meant to say. lol. I meant to say that 90% of the material taught at 90% of our colleges, is junk, and 90% of our college students are enrolled in an overvalued, and utterly worthless education. What % of all students enrolled in a post-secondary education, do you think are enrolled in a STEM field, or, in a field with a starving jobs market? In proportion to art students, english majors, non-specific business majors, sociology majors, etc? There is no comparison.

I don't see any benefit to the social sciences, or the Humanities, which is what most people are enrolled in. They generally leave college, and jump fields entirely, into something else, instead of staying in that area that they had taken 50,000 in loans for a worthless associates degree. The job market is not receptive to these graduates, who major in psychology, or economics, two pointless fields unless you specialize in it and you go all the way for your masters or even better, your PHD. I also don't see any worth in a business degree. They are so broad based, they don't really teach entrepreneurship that is anything more meaningful then an internship running a business. The Trillion dollar student loan deficit is mostly a waisted loss, that will never be recovered. It is a transfer of wealth, out of the middle class, that will never be reinvested into the private economy.

The 10% I hold out for are those involved in vocational training, that is industry backed, for high-skill labor, or career paths that are facing severe shortages. From being a Doctor, to a Software Engineer, CNC Machining, to Carpentry, and Welding. The 10% of the nation's college students who are enrolled in such programs are the future of this country. We don't need another Economics major. Or another Psychology major. Or another anthropology major. Or another Architecture major. Or another Sociology major.
So for you the 'liberal arts' education that has been the hallmark of our college education system the last 200 years or more should be scrapped in favor of vocational tech and job training. And you base your pronouncement on zero facts or studies; just on your personal opinion. You have lost whatever scintilla of credibility you still had.

What a dreary, uncreative, lifeless world you would have us make. Just machines and buildings, shells without out hearts. No art, no music, no literature, no religion, nothing but a spartan, lifeless utilitarian State. Nothing but a Market without variety and a Church without hope.

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #1935

Danmark wrote:
marketandchurch wrote:
Danmark wrote:

So for you the 'liberal arts' education that has been the hallmark of our college education system the last 200 years or more should be scrapped in favor of vocational tech and job training. And you base your pronouncement on zero facts or studies; just on your personal opinion. You have lost whatever scintilla of credibility you still had.

What a dreary, uncreative, lifeless world you would have us make. Just machines and buildings, shells without out hearts. No art, no music, no literature, no religion, nothing but a spartan, lifeless utilitarian State. Nothing but a Market without variety and a Church without hope.

You are dependent heavy on rhetoric. And continue to not answer, but dismiss and describe.

I didn't say I supported the dreary reality you just painted. One doesn't need to spend $150,000, which is a mortgages worth, at a state University, to learn music, literature, or anything you learn at your average non-technical University studies. Would you take out $150,000 for a Bachelor's degree in English? Anthropology? Psychology? You can learn all of those things for free, on the internet, from Harvard-MIT's EdX, from Stanford's Coursera, from Stanford's UDacity, from Khan Academy, and from Itunes U. FOR FREE!!!

Do you think America can survive, having invested more then 1,000,000,000,000 in loans, to school people in the Liberal Arts and Humanities? Would you rather we outsource 150,000,000,000 jobs that will be created over the next 10 years, to China, because we don't have the middle-to-high-skill labor necessary to staff them? What is an economy of poets, of people who can reason across broad and non-specific disciplines?

If Steve Jobs generation now runs the world, and their 4-year education costed them $4,000, then there's no excuse why we today can't get an 4-year eduction for around the same price, adjusted for inflation of course.
Last edited by marketandchurch on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #1936

You would be far more cultured and matured, to take $150,000($200,000 if you go to an Ivy league or private school) and just travel the world for 4 years, meeting different people, hearing their stories, connecting with them on a human level, visiting museums in Europe, learning new languages and a whole array of life skills, managing your money and time, seeing India on the back of an elephant, visiting Hong Kong and Singapore, hearing a concert in vienna, making friends along the way, maybe meeting the love of your life, trying foods you've never tasted, maybe exploring a few religious/philosophical paths, it would be more of an eye-opener, and life-changing, and elevating, then attending Columbia or UC Berkeley, for four years.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #1937

Post by Dantalion »

marketandchurch wrote: You would be far more cultured and matured, to take $150,000($200,000 if you go to an Ivy league or private school) and just travel the world for 4 years, meeting different people, hearing their stories, connecting with them on a human level, visiting museums in Europe, learning new languages and a whole array of life skills, managing your money and time, seeing India on the back of an elephant, visiting Hong Kong and Singapore, hearing a concert in vienna, making friends along the way, maybe meeting the love of your life, trying foods you've never tasted, maybe exploring a few religious/philosophical paths, it would be more of an eye-opener, and life-changing, and elevating, then attending Columbia or UC Berkeley, for four years.
Which is why a lot of European students do it both: a couple of years in college and then go abroad, finishing their last year or taking a specialty in other countries.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #1938

Danmark wrote:
marketandchurch wrote:
Danmark wrote:

What an utterly smug and elitist opinion. Are you really saying that a mechanic down at the local shop has no artistic or philosophical worth?

While our Universities are producing politicians and lawyers that do little more than line their own pockets from the fruit of other people's labor. Our education system is producing degreed-laden pimps is what it looks like from an honest perspective.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #1939

Gentlemen (if that is not an insulting and insensitive politically incorrect term now), what about addressing the OP?
The Gay Denomination.

For those people that desire same gender sexual behavior or thoughts, AND that claim to be a Christian and claim that their beliefs and theology can fit the New Testament witness, instead of waging an endless, fruitless and vicious war on other Christians - that will NEVER accept their gay doctrines and dogmas . . ., - why won't they just declare a new and alternative denomination, just like Watch Tower theological adherents and Mormons?

Why the need to join forces with anti-Christian and secularist movements to attack "Bible believing" Christians?

After all, in referencing the New Testament, there is no justifiable comparison of sex acts to being a slave (slavery), or the charge of bigotry and hatefulness in holding that marriage is a man and a woman.

Why not just start an "Out and Proud" Gay Denomination?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #1940

Post by Danmark »

99percentatheism wrote:
Danmark wrote: So for you the 'liberal arts' education that has been the hallmark of our college education system the last 200 years or more should be scrapped in favor of vocational tech and job training. And you base your pronouncement on zero facts or studies; just on your personal opinion. You have lost whatever scintilla of credibility you still had.

What an utterly smug and elitist opinion. Are you really saying that a mechanic down at the local shop has no artistic or philosophical worth?
You missed that by a mile. The statement you label as smug and elitist is your own. I am not and did not say or even imply a 'yes' to your question. My remark was about M&C's ridiculous suggestion that college only teach industrial arts:

"...vocational training, that is industry backed, for high-skill labor, or career paths that are facing severe shortages. From being a Doctor, to a Software Engineer, CNC Machining, to Carpentry, and Welding."