Book of Acts: When did the Christian miracles cease?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Shermana
Prodigy

Book of Acts: When did the Christian miracles cease?

Post #1

Post by Shermana »

According to the book of Acts, the very reason why the Church spread so fast...was because of straight up miracles.

Modern "Liberal Christianity" may try to assert that they never happened in the first place....but then how do they explain the drastic expansion of the Christian religion? And if such writing is mere "poetry" and didn't happen, what was the "poetry" supposed to mean? Does the very basis of what happens in Acts refute the positions of "Liberal Christianity?"

And "Conservative Christians" who maintain that they did happen....don't exactly have miracles happen in public like in Acts or as Paul supposedly described in Corinthians (another difficult issue for Liberal Christians to explain why Paul was talking about miracles and prophecying).

Some "Charismatic" movements may have "gift of tongues" events, but they go completely against what the "gift of tongues" is supposed to be, it was meant to be a miraculous showing that enabled believers to actually communicate with others of a foreign tongue, not just babbling away. Paul even forbade using the gift of tongues if there was no interpreter.

Paul was even apparently to raise people from the dead and heal the sick just like Jesus. In fact, according to the Gospels, Jesus said that the disciples would be able to do works greater than him. What happened since?

According to Acts, there is indeed supposed to be an actual showing of who is a "True Christian", in the form of miraculous happenings. What happened? When did they cease?

Did the early church spread so fast because of the word of these miracles? If not, what caused the Christian religion to spread so quickly?

Were the NT scriptures indeed saying that true believers would be able to perform miracles on a scale like Jesus did? Does it not say that all church members will receive some kind of gift, including prophecy? If believers don't have these gifts, are they, in scriptural terms, lying when they say they have the Spirit then? Is Christianity supposed to be a miracle-based religion in its original form? Are those who claim to believe in Christ but don't perform such miracles therefore not filled with the Spirit and thus not true members of the church? Or is there an explanation why there are no raisings of the dead and healings of the sick like in the days of Paul and the disciples (faith healing shows don't count).

Is it fair to conclude that the original point of the scriptural "Church" was to be a part of an organization that actually performed amazing miracles? When did the healing of the lame and raising of the dead cease and for what reason?

(Note: This thread is in discussion of the scriptural definition, there is no need to establish that said miracles are possible or that the events actually happened, it is a discussion of the relevance of such to modern and historical "Christians".)

-Revelation-
Student

Post #41

Post by -Revelation- »

As mentioned earlier, the miracles haven't stopped. My family are part of a charismatic Catholic community which holds many events every year, some of which have special times called miracle services. As the name suggests, miracles happen and there are a lot of doctor-confirmed testimonies on these every year.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Artie »

-Revelation- wrote:As mentioned earlier, the miracles haven't stopped. My family are part of a charismatic Catholic community which holds many events every year, some of which have special times called miracle services. As the name suggests, miracles happen and there are a lot of doctor-confirmed testimonies on these every year.
"One of the underlying popular tenets of Hinduism is the acceptance of miracles. Most Hindus believe that direct appeal for aid from a Deity often results in divine intervention. The Gods and Goddesses are approachable and, when properly beseeched, will change the course of events. Prayers for intercession may be made to any Deity, the choice entirely dependent upon the beliefs and inclinations of the devotee. Stories in every neighborhood revolve around ancestors or acquaintances whose sincere devotion resulted in the prevention of misfortune and disaster. Elements of nature such as trees or rocks are believed to possess powerful healing energy. Just touching such an object may result in a miracle. Innumerable examples of such healings exist."

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/sm ... temid=5102

If your healing experiences are testaments to the existence of the Christian God, then obviously Hindu healing experiences are testaments to the existence of the Hindu gods and goddesses. Just read the link.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 41:
Revelation wrote: As mentioned earlier, the miracles haven't stopped. My family are part of a charismatic Catholic community which holds many events every year, some of which have special times called miracle services. As the name suggests, miracles happen and there are a lot of doctor-confirmed testimonies on these every year.
I could call my Mustang a truck, but it ain't liable to tote a pallet of bricks anytime soon.

I notice these "miracle" events "occur" devoid of any scientific controls.

Or cameras.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by Goat »

-Revelation- wrote:As mentioned earlier, the miracles haven't stopped. My family are part of a charismatic Catholic community which holds many events every year, some of which have special times called miracle services. As the name suggests, miracles happen and there are a lot of doctor-confirmed testimonies on these every year.
Can you show that that 'this miracles happen', and give a number of these 'Doctor confirmed testimonies' so we can verify them? Let's see if the claims hold up to scrutiny.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

-Revelation-
Student

Post #45

Post by -Revelation- »

JoeyKnothead wrote:From Post 41:

I could call my Mustang a truck, but it ain't liable to tote a pallet of bricks anytime soon.

I notice these "miracle" events "occur" devoid of any scientific controls.

Or cameras.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

Here is my evidence, sorry, I probably should have put this in my first post.

http://www.coretlumenchristi.org/Site_stream/videos.htm

Artie
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by Artie »

-Revelation- wrote:Here is my evidence, sorry, I probably should have put this in my first post.

Hello Revelation if your healing experiences are testaments to the existence of Jesus and the Christian God, then obviously Hindu healing experiences are testaments to the existence of the Hindu gods and goddesses. What is your opinion about that?

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by His Name Is John »

Artie wrote:
-Revelation- wrote:Here is my evidence, sorry, I probably should have put this in my first post.

Hello Revelation if your healing experiences are testaments to the existence of Jesus and the Christian God, then obviously Hindu healing experiences are testaments to the existence of the Hindu gods and goddesses. What is your opinion about that?
They don't wipe each other out, but surely the Hindu healings are yet more evidence pointing at God. Just because they don't have all their doctrine right doesn't mean God wouldn't honor their faith.

Of course, there is always the possibility that some of the healings of other religions are done by demons, but I personally don't believe that is normally the case.

Edit: As for doctor's testimonies, often doctors don't want to have anything to do with it, they say it is a 'miracle' but then sometime's wont even let the people healed have their own medical records (I guess they think it might make them look bad or something?)

Or at least that is my experience (some people I know have been healed and that's what happened.)
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 45:
-Revelation- wrote: Here is my evidence, sorry, I probably should have put this in my first post.

I'll view the first video listed as I write this, titled "Miracles Tanz 2010 Healings down phone interview"...

I notice there's two folks who offer nothing by means of confirming the veracity of their claims. I'm not surprised.

Farcical.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by His Name Is John »

JoeyKnothead wrote:I'll view the first video listed as I write this, titled "Miracles Tanz 2010 Healings down phone interview"...

I notice there's two folks who offer nothing by means of confirming the veracity of their claims. I'm not surprised.

Farcical.
Let's forget the video's on this website for a moment, once you can answer the much more scientifically verified miracles of Lourdes you can discard miracles.

I have not heard one good argument by an atheist against those miracles, and I don't expect to. Even raging atheist fanboy Dawkins admits that the miracles do probably take place, just that 'there must be another explanation' or in other words supporting a 'naturalism-of-the-gaps'.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Artie
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by Artie »

His Name Is John wrote:I have not heard one good argument by an atheist against those miracles, and I don't expect to. Even raging atheist fanboy Dawkins admits that the miracles do probably take place, just that 'there must be another explanation' or in other words supporting a 'naturalism-of-the-gaps'.
So it is actually the Christian God who is responsible for the miraculous healings the Hindus attribute to their gods because they have faith?