Why worship a "god" that threatens you?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

OpiatefortheMasses
Apprentice

Post #1

Post by OpiatefortheMasses »

I'm reasonably sure that to extort something from someone else would constitute a sin of some kind according to most Christians but why is it OK when the very religion itself employs it? Most of the Christians I've talked to over the years would describe their "god" as fair, just, loving etc. but extortion (among other things) really strikes me as cruel and manipulative. Is this a "god" that's truly worthy of a person's worship or adoration?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Yes but on the other hand if you don't fear God and continuously cover him with all honor and glory he might just do something ornery, like drop a house on your sister, or cause the sky to fall. Besides, what's a bit of abject groveling compared to all of the things that you can imagine MIGHT happen if you don't. You can't be too careful you know... praise the Lord.

Haven

Post #3

Post by Haven »

OpiatefortheMasses wrote:I'm reasonably sure that to extort something from someone else would constitute a sin of some kind according to most Christians but why is it OK when the very religion itself employs it? Most of the Christians I've talked to over the years would describe their "god" as fair, just, loving etc. but extortion (among other things) really strikes me as cruel and manipulative. Is this a "god" that's truly worthy of a person's worship or adoration?
Excellent points, Nick. If someone holds a gun to your head and demands that you love him, you may say "I love you" to this person, but would such "love" be real? Of course not, it would simply be obedience under duress. It's pure self-preservation rather than any sort of meaningful love.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
I always found it odd that folks'd worship the various gods I'm aware of, considering how so often these gods are rather bullying sorts. (I notice many of these gods' adherents'll practice 'em some bullyin' as well.)

I s'pose when there's no other convincing, threats work on some.

As for me, any god who must threaten me to get me to worshipin', is no god worthy of worship.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Re: Why worship a "god" that threatens you?

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

OpiatefortheMasses wrote:I'm reasonably sure that to extort something from someone else would constitute a sin of some kind according to most Christians but why is it OK when the very religion itself employs it? Most of the Christians I've talked to over the years would describe their "god" as fair, just, loving etc. but extortion (among other things) really strikes me as cruel and manipulative. Is this a "god" that's truly worthy of a person's worship or adoration?
I think God doesn't threaten anyone and neither does he need anything from us.

According to this next part, God doesn’t want us to be afraid.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has punishment. He who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

And according to this next, God doesn’t need worship from us.

The God who made the world and all things in it, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, doesn't dwell in temples made with hands, neither is he served by men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he himself gives to all life and breath, and all things.
Acts 17:24-25

According to Bible, pure religion is this:

Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Why worship a "god" that threatens you?

Post #6

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote:
I think God doesn't threaten anyone and neither does he need anything from us.

According to this next part, God doesn’t want us to be afraid.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has punishment. He who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

And according to this next, God doesn’t need worship from us.

The God who made the world and all things in it, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, doesn't dwell in temples made with hands, neither is he served by men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he himself gives to all life and breath, and all things.
Acts 17:24-25

According to Bible, pure religion is this:

Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27
Yet, there are such comments as 'he who is not with us is against us', and 'the goats will pass to everlasting punishment'. There seems to be a contradiction there.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

pax
Guru

Post #7

Post by pax »

Haven wrote:
Excellent points, Nick. If someone holds a gun to your head and demands that you love him, you may say "I love you" to this person, but would such "love" be real? Of course not, it would simply be obedience under duress. It's pure self-preservation rather than any sort of meaningful love.
If I say to you: "If you jump off that 500 cliff over there you are going to die" and you go ahead and jump off the cliff and you die, how have I threatened you? How have I extorted you?

Don't youse guys ever get tired of making absurd statements?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

pax wrote:
Haven wrote:
If I say to you: "If you jump off that 500 cliff over there you are going to die" and you go ahead and jump off the cliff and you die, how have I threatened you? How have I extorted you?

Hum.. What an absurd statement itself, since it is totally misrepresenting the statement.

It's more along the line of 'If you don't worship me, I am gonna burn you forever'.
That's extortion.. not a warming.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OpiatefortheMasses
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by OpiatefortheMasses »

pax wrote:
Haven wrote:

Well, in your scenario you really haven't extorted me but you're not an all-powerful being in control of every aspect of the scenario. In the bible "god" is the one that created and controls every aspect of the scenario. "God" created hell, sin and the "path to salvation" so the options were deliberately limited by him. In the scenario you illustrated it's only comparable if you created it entirely and had the ability to control the outcome. Also, it's demonstrable that a person can die falling off a 500 foot cliff whereas telling someone they'll go to hell for not seeking "salvation" isn't.

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

Because if you don't, he'll do bad things to you. But, if you do, you will be rewarded.

It's simple guys...it's called superstition based upon primitive understanding of the world. We Homo Sapiens are very good at creating what seem like rational explanations for otherwise unexplainable events.

Although, If I take it hypothetically that a god like this does exist, I would still sacrifice to it. Of course provided that evidence for its existence outweighs evidence of its non-existence. It seems more logical on a survival level to worship an evil blackmailing god, than to be killed by aforesaid god.

Although...if this god could die, then I probably would try to raise a large army to kill it. If it couldn't, my first choice would still apply.