Left Behind series

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rancid Uncle
Student

Left Behind series

Post #1

Post by Rancid Uncle »

In this series about the end of the world apparently tons of Jews convert to christianity. I assume since the world is ending the rest die. This is really scary for a person of Jewish heritage like myself. How can so many Americans enjoy a book that expects a huge group of people to convert or die? I also heard it attacks the UN, has the Jewish people as architects of an anti-chirst government and protrays a christian militia in a good light. I hate to say it but the Left Behind series seems awfully like the turner diaries. They both involve militia groups and jewish conspiracies. That alone worries me. Are these books anti-semetic or are they just pro-christian?

adherent
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by adherent »

Of course they are pro-christian. They are based upon the book of revelations. It is how the two authors interpreted the end time to be like. I seriously doubt about its anti-semetism as the Bible does not condone racism at all. This book was mainly targeting a Christina audience, I mean why would a atheist or buddhist want with a pro-christian novel?
Shout to the Lord
All the earth
Let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

Corvus
Guru

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

adherent wrote:Of course they are pro-christian. They are based upon the book of revelations. It is how the two authors interpreted the end time to be like. I seriously doubt about its anti-semetism as the Bible does not condone racism at all. This book was mainly targeting a Christina audience, I mean why would a atheist or buddhist want with a pro-christian novel?
I would think they would want the truth to be able to be seen by people outside of their faith. What's the use of convincing those who are already convinced? To make money? Probably, since, if I remember correctly, it has in excess of 10 volumes.

As La Rochefoucald said in Maxim #142, "As the stamp of great minds is to suggest much in a few words, so, contrariwise, little minds have the gift of talking much and saying nothing."
Are these books anti-semetic or are they just pro-christian?
Pro-christian, I think, in a pretty narrow way. Every religion claims to have the truth and the truth alone. I think it would be rather presumptuous if a living man said, let alone one dead or gone. But religion makes a habit of not being so presumptuous when other religions give them a glance.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

adherent
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by adherent »

I thought the novel was just for entertainment and providing a interpretation of Revelation for christians. I don't think Revelations would be something effective for converting. I guess I should not be talking much about this since I haven't even read one Left Behind book. I do however own the Assassin one because it looked cool, the names cool, and mainly because I got it for 25 cents.

Travis
Student

Post #5

Post by Travis »

In this series about the end of the world apparently tons of Jews convert to christianity. I assume since the world is ending the rest die. This is really scary for a person of Jewish heritage like myself. How can so many Americans enjoy a book that expects a huge group of people to convert or die? I also heard it attacks the UN, has the Jewish people as architects of an anti-chirst government and protrays a christian militia in a good light. I hate to say it but the Left Behind series seems awfully like the turner diaries. They both involve militia groups and jewish conspiracies. That alone worries me. Are these books anti-semetic or are they just pro-christian?
Let me begin by saying I dislike these books and their dumb theology. It exports a narrow neo-fundamentalist view that irritates me.

I mean no offense to you Rancid Uncle, but it sounds as though you haven't even read the novels. They are not anti-semitic at all, and hardly attack anything. They are simply 'entertainment' for the consumers in the christian sub-culture, most don't take it further than that. If they do then something else is at fault entirely...

I agree with Corvus, profit motive has a lot to do with it. :(
What is the first business of one who practices philosophy? To get rid of self-conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he thinks he already knows.
- Epictetus (Discourses)

Corvus
Guru

Post #6

Post by Corvus »

I thought the novel was just for entertainment and providing a interpretation of Revelation for christians.
But what is the motive for providing entertainment (that revolves around the end of the world, paradoxically) and an interpretation of Revelations? They made one of the bible's shortest books into an 11 volume extravaganza at 300+ pages per book . Doesn't that strike you as a little excessive?

It might also be admonishing Christians for not worshipping properly, telling people to be vigilant, taking issue with their behaviour and telling them to do what it regards as the right thing. But then, you can get that every time you see the president on television. I doubt it's anti-semetic. At least not intentionally.

Thankfully, I see through Amazon.com that although it's a bestseller, there are many negative responses.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Chancellor

Re: Left Behind series

Post #7

Post by Chancellor »

Rancid Uncle wrote:In this series about the end of the world apparently tons of Jews convert to christianity. I assume since the world is ending the rest die. This is really scary for a person of Jewish heritage like myself. How can so many Americans enjoy a book that expects a huge group of people to convert or die? I also heard it attacks the UN, has the Jewish people as architects of an anti-chirst government and protrays a christian militia in a good light. I hate to say it but the Left Behind series seems awfully like the turner diaries. They both involve militia groups and jewish conspiracies. That alone worries me. Are these books anti-semetic or are they just pro-christian?
It isn't really Jews converting to Christianity but, rather, Jews discovering the Messiah prophesied by their own prophets. I would recommend that you actually this series of 12 books. Granted, the books are fiction and they include some rather questionable interpretations of Bible prophecy, but they are not anti-semitic any more than the Old Testament prophecies about that particular period or the book of Revelation are anti-semitic.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Piper Plexed »

Actually I have read them, as opposed to anti-semitic I sensed it favored Jews over Christians. I really don't know much about the authors as I picked the first one up out of curiosity. All in all my impression was that the intent of the books was more about "Being Saved" and converting Christians to one particular form of Christianity.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

otseng
Savant

Re: Left Behind series

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Rancid Uncle wrote:Are these books anti-semetic or are they just pro-christian?
I just finished reading book one. And in this book, I don't see any anti-semitism. And it definitely is pro-christian (is that not to be expected?). Well, I'm on my second book now so we'll see how it goes.

BTW, it actually is a pretty good read (if you can get pass the pre-trib rapture pre-mill eschatology :confused2: ).

cattious
Student

Post #10

Post by cattious »

Well, I'm just past the midpoint of the first one and it doesn't seem very anti-semitic at all. There are only a few pages that are extremely pro-christian so far. For the most part it's just mediocre fiction. I doubt I'll buy the rest, unless I find them cheap. But I might check them out from the library...

Seriously, it doesn't seem that anti anything except sin.
What God Wants, God Gets God Help Us All...