Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

What is an anti-Mormon?

Post #1

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

I recently was called an anti-mormon in a PM discussion even though the book of mormon was never even mentioned. Here are the difinitions for anti from dictionary.com:
–noun, plural -tis.
a person who is opposed to a particular practice, party, policy, action, etc.
a prefix meaning “against,� “opposite of,� “antiparticle of,� used in the formation of compound words ( anticline ); used freely in combination with elements of any origin ( antibody; antifreeze; antiknock; antilepton ).

For extra credit wouldn't an anti-mormon be someone or an organization which claims to believe in the book of mormon but has practices (like priestcraft) which are in direct violation of the book of mormon?
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Kuan »

Semantics are pointless sometimes....Its the intention being conveyed that matters. So when someone is anti-whatever, its because they are opposed to whatever it is.

Whats the pont of this question? I get the feeling there is more to it than you let on the surface.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello mormonboy,

First off, after rereading the PM I wasn't actually called an anti mormon.

The discussion was about some statements in the LDS branch of Mormonism in their journal of discourses, which indicated to me, that Brigham Young considered blood atonement a positive thing and that by extension the church most likely practiced blood atonement during BY's reign. Apparently the future leaders who followed BY and various historians now claim he didn't teach blood atonement.

Anyway are any statement that mormons consider negative, considered to be anti-mormon statements, and those making them anti-mormons.

Comparing this to the republican demonization of the term liberal, now that they have it demonized they can use it who supposts a position they don't like. To define anything they don't like rather than to what the liberal position would be. For example conservation, would be more conservative than liberal yet conservationist are viewed as liberal.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

sleepyhead wrote:Hello mormonboy,

First off, after rereading the PM I wasn't actually called an anti mormon.

The discussion was about some statements in the LDS branch of Mormonism in their journal of discourses, which indicated to me, that Brigham Young considered blood atonement a positive thing and that by extension the church most likely practiced blood atonement during BY's reign. Apparently the future leaders who followed BY and various historians now claim he didn't teach blood atonement.

Anyway are any statement that mormons consider negative, considered to be anti-mormon statements, and those making them anti-mormons.

Comparing this to the republican demonization of the term liberal, now that they have it demonized they can use it who supposts a position they don't like. To define anything they don't like rather than to what the liberal position would be. For example conservation, would be more conservative than liberal yet conservationist are viewed as liberal.
No not at all, those statements would not be anti-mormon.

Anti-mormon would be people protesting our church events and gatherings. People who vandalize our churches, ect.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by sleepyhead »

Thanks for the response mormonboy.

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

I am anti-mormon but there would be no display that indicates it. Heck as with all non-Christians I guess it means I have to be nicer to them.