Is this Offensive to Muslims?

To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Is this Offensive to Muslims?

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

I often see Muslims saying something in (I think Arabic) to each other and I was wondering what it was. Im pretty sure it has something to do with their religion.

Also, is it offensive if a non-muslim uses these same phrases and sayings when talking to a muslim?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Darias
Guru

Post #2

Post by Darias »

"Asalam alikum."

"Wa alikum asalam."

Peace be upon you.

And upon you be peace.

Depending on who you talk to, some think its offensive for non-Muslims to use that greeting -- others think it is okay. I believe the Qur'an requires that Muslims greet each other in this fashion -- and if someone wishes peace upon you, you are obliged to say "wa alikum asalam" back to them.

I understand the idea of religious traditions being special only for the religious. In many churches across America, communion is forbidden for non-believers.

In an English speaking country, I would probably avoid giving the greeting to someone who appeared Muslim, just as I would avoid saying "Hola" to an Hispanic -- it just seems distasteful...

Now if a Muslim says that to you, I think it would be okay to say "wa alikum asalam" back to them.

But I don't know this for sure, as I am not Muslim -- maybe someone else will be able to give you a better answer.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by bernee51 »

Darias wrote:"Asalam alikum."

"Wa alikum asalam."

Peace be upon you.

And upon you be peace.

Depending on who you talk to, some think its offensive for non-Muslims to use that greeting -- others think it is okay. I believe the Qur'an requires that Muslims greet each other in this fashion -- and if someone wishes peace upon you, you are obliged to say "wa alikum asalam" back to them.

I understand the idea of religious traditions being special only for the religious. In many churches across America, communion is forbidden for non-believers.

In an English speaking country, I would probably avoid giving the greeting to someone who appeared Muslim, just as I would avoid saying "Hola" to an Hispanic -- it just seems distasteful...

Now if a Muslim says that to you, I think it would be okay to say "wa alikum asalam" back to them.

But I don't know this for sure, as I am not Muslim -- maybe someone else will be able to give you a better answer.
I have travelled in Muslim countries and met with Muslims in non-Muslim countries and have regularly used these greetings and not once, to the best of my knowledge, has it been regarded as offensive in any way.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Murad
Guru

Post #4

Post by Murad »

The tradition is derived from the Quran, Chapter 4 Verse 86:
When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally. Certainly, Allâh is Ever a Careful Account Taker of all things.
In the 4 Canonical Gospels, Jesus used to greet his disciples with the Hebrew word "Shalom", meaning 'peace'.
Since Arabic & Hebrew are sister languages, the greeting in Arabic is roughly synonymous: "Selam". The word "Selam" is usually followed by "Aleykum" meaning 'upon you'. So basically "Selam Aleykum" means 'Peace be upon you'.

If you greet a muslim (whether its a positive greeting or a negative insult), it is obligatory for the muslim to reply with "Wa Aleykum" (And upon you).

This tradition is derived from a hadith narrated by Anas bin Malik (A disciple) whom reported that certain Jews used to say "As-Samu Alaika" (Meaning: 'Death be upon you) to the Prophet, because they believed him to be a false prophet just like they believed Jesus was a false prophet.
The prophet used to reply with "Wa Aleykum" (& upon you).

Thus no matter how you choose to greet a muslim, they must reply with: "And upon you" (Wa Aleykum).

Hope that answers your question.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Kuan »

Thank you, that is very interesting and does answer part of my question Murad. As it is a tradition for you to say, wouldn't a non believer saying it be interfering with you traditions?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Murad
Guru

Post #6

Post by Murad »

mormon boy51 wrote:Thank you, that is very interesting and does answer part of my question Murad. As it is a tradition for you to say, wouldn't a non believer saying it be interfering with you traditions?
There are ofcourse scholarly divisions here, generally muslims are encouraged not to greet non-muslims with "Selam" because that is one of Gods names. But if the non-muslim greets a muslim with "Selam", its not offensive at all, & the muslim will reply with "& upon you" (Wa Aleykum)
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

Murad wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:Thank you, that is very interesting and does answer part of my question Murad. As it is a tradition for you to say, wouldn't a non believer saying it be interfering with you traditions?
There are ofcourse scholarly divisions here, generally muslims are encouraged not to greet non-muslims with "Selam" because that is one of Gods names. But if the non-muslim greets a muslim with "Selam", its not offensive at all, & the muslim will reply with "& upon you" (Wa Aleykum)
Ok thank you for clarifying this.
- Voltaire

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Lux »

Darias wrote:In an English speaking country, I would probably avoid giving the greeting to someone who appeared Muslim, just as I would avoid saying "Hola" to an Hispanic -- it just seems distasteful...
Why? :-k I don't find it distasteful at all - although admittedly I do find the American accent funny when they speak Spanish O:)

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to figure out appropriate greetings, even between different countries, let alone countries with different religions. I met a Muslim ambassador once, and I wasn't sure how it'd be appropriate to greet... I played it safe and bowed (since courtesies are due to an ambassador, anyway) and she came over and kissed me on the cheek, which is the standard greeting in Argentina :o
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Darias
Guru

Post #9

Post by Darias »

Lux wrote:
Darias wrote:In an English speaking country, I would probably avoid giving the greeting to someone who appeared Muslim, just as I would avoid saying "Hola" to an Hispanic -- it just seems distasteful...
Why? :-k I don't find it distasteful at all - although admittedly I do find the American accent funny when they speak Spanish O:)

Sometimes it's a bit difficult to figure out appropriate greetings, even between different countries, let alone countries with different religions. I met a Muslim ambassador once, and I wasn't sure how it'd be appropriate to greet... I played it safe and bowed (since courtesies are due to an ambassador, anyway) and she came over and kissed me on the cheek, which is the standard greeting in Argentina
:o
Well it might be seen as offensive if you don't speak Spanish well, and if you are white and the other person is not -- obviously they might think you're making fun of them.

In my neck of the woods, there aren't that many white folk that speak Spanish well -- and there are many Hispanics who do.

If I was visiting a Spanish speaking country I wouldn't be afraid to speak Spanish...

but it's sort of like, if you see a blond haired person with blue eyes -- you wouldn't go up to them and say "Guten Tag."

lol idk, maybe I'm too politically correct. O:)