A problem I commonly find myself with

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

mav2097
Student

A problem I commonly find myself with

Post #1

Post by mav2097 »

Most of my family and friends practice some sort of christianity and I often hear remarks related to the bible, god, or jesus as well as moral dilemmas brought about by something written in the bible. It's difficult sometimes but I find myself biting my tongue in order to keep from offending anyone.

Anyway, my question is how do you deal with these situations when they arise?
Do you do as I do and keep your mouth shut? Change the subject? Speak your mind even if it might offend someone? (etc.)
"Isn''t it interesting... religious behavior is so close to being crazy that we can''''t tell them apart."

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

I've found that discussion can be appropriate in some settings, but often I just keep quiet. Perhaps discussion on those matters is possible to some degree even from your perspective.
That peoples' beliefs differ from yours should not really be a problem unless you or they choose to make it so.

Board
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Board »

I have a hard time allowing ignorant statements to fly. My wife is the one who keeps me in line the majority of the time. My sister-in-law is my primary target as her world view is so distorted from reality it is hard to have a real conversation with her. My mom on the other hand I leave alone mostly out of respect but if she asks me a direct question I always answer honestly.

Just this past weekend is a good example. My Grandfather passed away on New Year's Day and the family was gathering at my parents house to support my Dad. My Sister-in-law decided this was the time to ask everyone about their opinion on her sending her 2 year old to Catholic school (she is not currently Catholic) so that he could learn good morals. Needless to say I did not bite my tongue. Morals cannot be taught in school and should be demonstrated at home. The only thing I saw my friends who went to a Catholic school during high school do is throw really great keggers. My Mother's friend was over and I kid you not these are the words that came from her mouth "That is the whole problem with evolution, there are no morals." I was so appalled and offended I could not help from speaking up.

So... be respectful but ignorance and bigoted statements have no place and should be refuted when made. Just try and be civil... thankfully I have a wife to slap me when I get close to the line. :)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Board wrote: thankfully I have a wife to slap me when I get close to the line.
Sounds like you should listen to her more often.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

I guess they should not feel any more offended then anyone should feel offended by being told they are going to hell.
I don't mind getting into it with someone that thinks they are God's spokesperson.
But one time some minister wanted to get into all about Jesus and I started to argue and just said I have a Jewish view of Jesus as a human and he didn't want to argue.

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by SailingCyclops »

Whenever someone directs a god statement at me, like 'god bless you', or 'thank god', I always retort "There is no god".

I don't believe in being shy about my beliefs, especially in a society which takes religiosity for granted.

Bob

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

Hi Mav, I'm in the same boat as you and I am finding it increasingly difficult to bite my tongue. The time is coming soon where I won't be able to. There's only so much ignorance you can stand coming out of people's mouths. When that day comes all my family will know I am no longer a Christian. In some ways I am looking forward to it, because it means I can start speaking out more. But right now I am waiting for the right time... which will most likely be when someone really pisses me off.

I often find myself talking about religion with Christians. But in my day-to-day life I try not to offend. (On the INternet I don't really care). I often find myself taking the perspective of a Christian, but arguing my new views. It's great to get people to think about what they believe and to challenge what they believe, not just accept everything they're told, which most Christians are notorious for. I find people here in New Zealand are very open to that and many Christians find themselves agreeing with my points of view.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by SailingCyclops »

OnceConvinced wrote: I often find myself talking about religion with Christians. But in my day-to-day life I try not to offend.
Why should stating your views be taken as "offensive"? There's this idea that an atheist speaking his or her mind is somehow offensive. I don't see it that way.

Why do you think your views are offensive?

Bob

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Strider324 »

I don't worry about offending someone as much as respecting the environment of the conversation. I don't tell people at work that I'm an Atheist. I live in Texas and people get terminated for shit like that.....

My close friends know my position and in general we agree to disagree, but I never allow an unsupported religious statement to go unchallenged, even at work. Usually it just means me bringing up the point that "your religion uses the same logic as 'X' religion in this regard, so is 'X' religion correct as well?"

Unfortunately we are as yet the most reviled minority in the US, so I feel prudence must guide my actions - but not fear.

So, I choose to wage a guerrilla type campaign against the abnegation of Reason. I'm confident that Reason will prevail, although possibly not in my lifetime.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by SailingCyclops »

Strider324 wrote:Unfortunately we are as yet the most reviled minority in the US, so I feel prudence must guide my actions - but not fear.
I have not experienced revulsion, instead I have experienced disbelief that I am atheist. But then this is New York, not Texas.

It's funny actually. I was sitting down with a social worker at the VA hospital filling out some forms, and she asked me what religion I was. None I replied. No, I mean what church do you go to, -- I don't go to church. What do you believe? -- I am atheist, I don't believe in any gods. She found it hard to accept, and then she said to me "there is no box on this form for 'none' , you mean you believe in nothing? -- I believe in what is.

I still chuckle when I remember that exchange.

Bob